Allow REPAIR ORDERS While in combat! (Turret, Wall damage, and structure damage)

Started by GriffenDorf, February 27, 2014, 03:53:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GriffenDorf

It makes 0 sense that to keep my turrets, which help me stave off 20 man raider teams (and me with 6 colonists??? 1 or two with any combat skills AT ALL??)

I mean whats the intended design? Have turrets, and let them get blown up? We need combat ENGINEERS.

So instead of juggling people who are right infront of the enemy but refuse to stay there and aid with repairs, instead opting to sleep/eat/grow crops when the enemy is 10 feet away, I say allow us to give repair orders when troops are recruited.

Otherwise, just expose turret code as XML, unless its already exposed.
And also NPC code, so I can just make repair bots who can only do ONE JOB.

keylocke

hmm.. if i recall correctly. if you select and 'undraft' a colonist and then you click on a non-combat oriented job, they will perform those non-combat tasks. i think they have different options for drafted or undrafted jobs, so you can just switch between them whenever necessary. at least that's what i usually do. hope that helps.

GriffenDorf

Quote from: keylocke on February 27, 2014, 04:47:57 AM
hmm.. if i recall correctly. if you select and 'undraft' a colonist and then you click on a non-combat oriented job, they will perform those non-combat tasks. i think they have different options for drafted or undrafted jobs, so you can just switch between them whenever necessary. at least that's what i usually do. hope that helps.

no its not good enough you see, 20 man raider teams, half of which are bio engineered assassins using all manner of rifles can take out my people who keep moving away and back when im trying to give them orders. I just need people to take repair orders while drafted as this solves the turret management.

keylocke

Quote from: GriffenDorf on February 27, 2014, 04:52:06 AM
Quote from: keylocke on February 27, 2014, 04:47:57 AM

no its not good enough you see, 20 man raider teams, half of which are bio engineered assassins using all manner of rifles can take out my people who keep moving away and back when im trying to give them orders. I just need people to take repair orders while drafted as this solves the turret management.

i'm not sure i follow. i can repair my turrents during combat (though often times i just let them blow if they got hit by frag or a molotov). one time, i've even finished making a new turret during combat (a rush job when the raiders attacked while having a half-finished turret). i think the main problem is having to micromanage the troop that you order for repairs or if that troop has a different job with a higher priority or if that troop has a job restriction (ie: nobles, assassins, etc).
other that, i'm not sure. (i fought off two waves of raiders large enough to be called a zerg rush during a solar flare, so i didn't have much use for turrets back then. so i usually do repairs in-between fights)

but "combat engineer" as a job title sounds fun. i want one. lol.  :)

Rokiyo

I agree with this one. Being able to instruct a recruited colonist to put out a fire or repair/build something would be helpful.

I think this is one of those situations where providing the option to micromanage can lead to rewarding gameplay.

Coenmcj

Something like this but not have them automatically do it, mixed with some sort of order "queue" would make micromanagement that much easier. 
Moderator on discord.gg/rimworld come join us! We don't bite