What features are expected in a15?

Started by Avtomatik, July 19, 2016, 04:33:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Avtomatik

Howdy, sorry if this has been answered already but I didn't find any info about it.

With alpha14 just out, what are the planned new features for a15?
Or is it a secret? :D

Mossy piglet

You should definetely check out the new ama on redddit (link in the blog)
Tardigrades are superior to all other life forms in every way.

Ps I secretly am one I am the king of their civilization.

Avtomatik

Answer (tynan's reply on reddit):

The next feature set we're working on is a more holistic system of drugs. Currently the game just has beer, but that's always been a little piece of what wants to be a more rounded simulation of drug psychology, physical effects, economy and addiction. I was also looking at the drug system in Fallout and remarking on how simple but effective it is. It's something distinct to more gritty (sorry) modern and sci-fi settings.

The drug system will simulate a variety of drugs (some real, some fictional) like beer, marijuana, malaria blockers, hi-tech combat enhancers and cocaine. Colonists may turn to drugs to cope with stress, especially if they have "chemical fascination". Addictions will form and withdrawal will hit if the supply is cut off. Colonists might go on drug binges. The player can assign a schedule of drugs to colonists (similar to the current outfits system) to keep colonist popping the right pills on a regular basis.

The player can, of course, overuse this system or avoid it entirely - I'm looking forward to seeing what new kinds of stories this can create.

We've also got another big feature in the pipe, but that one I want to keep unannounced for now since I'm not yet sure how it'll work.