[A16] FloorBeautyRebalance

Started by lost_RD, July 19, 2016, 05:34:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lost_RD

Suggested by Spartyon7

Latest update: January 1, 2017 | Download

Before: Wood floors give 0 beauty. Smooth stone floors give 3 beauty. Smoothing requires 1200 work.

After: Smoothing takes 400 work. Wood and stone floors now have 3 levels: rough, smooth and polished. Smoothing a floow improves beauty by 1. Wood ranges from 0 to 2 beauty and stone ranges from -1 to 1 beauty.

Fluffe

Goldenpotatoes

It should be noted that things like smoothed stone having higher beauty and wood having none is balance. Wood is common-place and readily available for wide use. While smoothed stone floors DO give more beauty than the tiling, they offer no wealth, which is a rather large contributor to a room's over-all value. A room with a high wealth and beauty value can give fairly decent mood benefits. Smoothing out the floors is meant to stop making it look ugly, while the tiling is meant to make it look non-ugly AND make the room more luxurious.

lost_RD

Quote from: Goldenpotatoes on July 19, 2016, 08:38:55 PM
It should be noted that things like smoothed stone having higher beauty and wood having none is balance. Wood is common-place and readily available for wide use. While smoothed stone floors DO give more beauty than the tiling, they offer no wealth, which is a rather large contributor to a room's over-all value. A room with a high wealth and beauty value can give fairly decent mood benefits. Smoothing out the floors is meant to stop making it look ugly, while the tiling is meant to make it look non-ugly AND make the room more luxurious.

Here's my reasoning: smoothed stone floors should only be a short-term stepping stone between rough stone and a manufactured floor. I've observed players smooth floors ASAP and never touch them again and that seems wrong to me so I made the returns of smoothing much less. You should still do it but you can no longer rely on it to keep moods high. Also, I've seen some beautiful wooden floors in my life so I think that wooden floors having a beauty of 0 is ridiculous. Also it makes sense now to upgrade your resource-free smoothed floors to wooden floors when you have the resources.

If you agree with my reasoning but think I need to change other floor beauty values for better balance, please let me know. This first release is entirely based on feedback from streamers in Twitch and what values they would be happy to play with but I'd be happy to make various different releases - realistic, hardcore, softcore, etc.

Ekarus

Personally, I think that Smooth Stone can look pretty damn impressive if done right and a wonderful balance-ish solution would be something along the lines of Rough Wooden Floor < Smooth Wood Floor, Level Cave Floor < Polished Cave Floor, etc. The more beautiful variants requiring more work but the same amount of materials.

Then again I'm also of the mindset that concrete shouldn't provide a morale loss, but that's my opinion.

CannibarRechter

IMO, the proper way to fix wood floors ugliness is to create a new material type: finished wood planks, and then make a new floor type: finished wood floor. The old wood texture should look like a crappy wooden floor, and the new wood could use the old texture. They could be made at the generic work station. You could do something with walls, also. Perhaps we could resurrect the old log cabin style walls, and have the current walls be the nice version.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

BlueFreakQ

lost_RD,

I think your changes are perfect and logical.  If feel the changes have made things too easy and you want to make any changes to it in regard to game balance, my suggestion would be to simply make wooden floors take more work/time.  Perhaps even add the work from smoothing the floor to the wooden, to simulate needing to smooth the ground before laying the floor. 

botaxalim

Are this affect wood floor mod which add more wood texture tile?

GyspyShnizzel

Hello there,

ok ... i am looking for a mod like this for ages :) Here is my suggestion:

Elysium

Quote from: GyspyShnizzel on August 05, 2016, 09:56:02 AM
Hello there,

ok ... i am looking for a mod like this for ages :) Here is my suggestion:

If you really want to do you can do this yourself rather easily, look in Core\Defs\TerrainDefs\Terrain_Floors.xml and Terrain_FloorsStoneTile.xml
I'm pretty sure all of the values you are looking for are defined there, just search for beauty and look at the defName.  The only one I couldn't seem to find is the smooth floor which might explain why this mod doesn't use xml.

lance789

how can i change the beauty values of this mod?

Reviire

Here's an idea, add tiers of flooring. Base wood floors should be 0, they're quick and easy to build. Where are the treated wooden plank floors at though? Make beauty and wealth scale with the amount of work and resources put into the floor, while still allowing people to choose between different types of floor. So each floor type would go from a quick and easy to build, to a slower and more expensive to build top tier floor.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

lost_RD

Updated to A16

Quote from: Reviire on August 05, 2016, 09:16:17 PM
Here's an idea, add tiers of flooring. Base wood floors should be 0, they're quick and easy to build. Where are the treated wooden plank floors at though? Make beauty and wealth scale with the amount of work and resources put into the floor, while still allowing people to choose between different types of floor. So each floor type would go from a quick and easy to build, to a slower and more expensive to build top tier floor.

Quote from: CannibarRechter on August 01, 2016, 10:21:11 AM
IMO, the proper way to fix wood floors ugliness is to create a new material type: finished wood planks, and then make a new floor type: finished wood floor. The old wood texture should look like a crappy wooden floor, and the new wood could use the old texture. They could be made at the generic work station. You could do something with walls, also. Perhaps we could resurrect the old log cabin style walls, and have the current walls be the nice version.

I like these ideas. At the very minimum there can be rough wooden floors to match rough stone and smooth wooden floors to match smooth stone. Potentially there could be a third level, polished.

BeautyStoneWood
Rough-10
Smooth01
Polished12

Love

Er.. this isn't balanced at all. Smoothed stone floors require a considerable amount of work does look a lot more beautiful than processing them into tiles...