Please remove human pawns eating corpses.

Started by Britnoth, July 20, 2016, 06:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mumblemumble

I would dare say people shouldn't eat corpses unless either commanded, or starving intensely with no other options around. But they shouldn't if its just closer, this is dumb.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

Britnoth

Quote from: Dante King on July 21, 2016, 03:39:22 AM
you have messed up and simply need to do better, aka, git gud.

Default tribal start with 5 randoms, ice sheet, and Cassandra Extreme. Launched the ship after 2 years.

Thanks for telling me to git gud.  :D

Quote from: Kashipoi on July 21, 2016, 04:26:53 AM
The latter is one reason you assign a dumping zone for corpses that die in your home area, otherwise they die and end up unforbidden and you get problems.

This does not work. I cannot haul corpses to a dumping zone without a colonist having permission to access that dumping zone. If they have access to that dumping zone, they have access to eat the corpses there. QED.

Equally I cannot easily stop people eating corpses after a raid when some raider corpses are left unforbidden. I cannot unforbid a living raider, so after they die I have a matter of seconds on speed 3 to notice the have died before someone eats the corpse and gets -40 mood. This is impractical.

The mechanics are there to control what colonists eat, but right now they are so bad it is a huge micro hell to do it. This is not fun.

I am not against colonists being able to do this, but the default behaviour should be under my control. Ask anyone trying the tribal ice sheet start without giving themselves a ton of extra food, and you will get a similar responce. Probably including epithets concerning whoever asked for this to be added.  8)

Guess I need to mod it in myself.

Kagemusha12

Quote from: gmillar on July 21, 2016, 05:31:35 AM
People don't go berserk when they're forced to turn to cannibalism, there's plenty of historical evidence of that. Actually, people don't really go berserk. It's incredibly rare. The vast majority of humans do not have it in them in any way. It's a 1 in 10 million kind of thing.

Aye ... there was actually a very well known case of cannibalism less than 50 years ago,
when the survivors of a plane crash in a mountaineous region after a few days (waiting for rescue) had to eat the corpses of those who were not lucky enough to survive the crash (meaning that some of the survivors had to eat their friends).
It actually took more than 2 months till the survivors were rescued and they had  to do lots of intelligent improvising (somehow reminding me of the people crashed in Rimworld ;) )

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1972_Andes_flight_disaster#Cannibalism

And those were just normal people who were forced, by circumstances, to eat other humans

asanbr

Haven't noticed this yet. Looks like playing a modded 100% cannibal colony can be even more interesting than last time!   :D

asanbr

Quote from: Britnoth on July 21, 2016, 12:34:01 AM
Quote from: Kashipoi on July 20, 2016, 03:03:52 PM
That -40 mood is supposed to be punishment for managing a vital resource (Food) so poorly. People do very questionable things when facing starvation sometimes, I think unless it's part of the food priority bug people report from time to time it's working as intended.

This it not about ' being punished' (jesus...) for 'managing poorly'. Starving comes with its own penalties. This is about having to play on normal speed for long periods of time because the games default behaviour is so entirely ridiculous I cannot trust it.

Forcing me to control pawns manually for 5-10 minutes after a raid just so they don't do something I don't want them to do is NOT a game play issue, it is a USER INTERFACE issue - if i forbid the items, then they will not do it.

I saw that this is a 'feature' that people requested. I have no idea why.

A similar mechanic would be: Pawns if they get unhappy commit suicide. But you can tell them not to with just a forbid button. But every time something on the map dies, everyones suicide button gets reset back to on. Forcing you to play on normal speed and micromange for... no damn reason whatsoever.

See the difference?

every human corpse is forbidden at first when they die, aren't they? So unless you unforbid them, no one would eat them, right? What am I missing?

I totally agree that the 100% game speed things forced on you when someone gets hurt is horrible, horrible, though, and I think it is one of the major problems with the game that it cannot be overridden.
Does save, exit, load reset the game speed?

Wex

If they die in your home area they start as unforbidden.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

asanbr

Quote from: Wex on July 23, 2016, 12:17:23 PM
If they die in your home area they start as unforbidden.

Thanks for filling in, I never noticed this.

rina_m

people resort to eating grasses and dirt and dead animal carcasses waaaay before eating human carcasses

also i find it hilarious that suicide is 'too dark' for this game yet half the fandom is obsessed with the turn to cannibalism...

Dante King

That and the fact a suicide game mechanic is incredibly stupid generally.

JohnnyOnslaught

Quote from: JesterHell on July 20, 2016, 07:11:47 AM
I think micromanaging food during a shortage is natural and logical.

As for setting a minimum quality food for your colonist I don't think a pawn should starve themselves to death because the player says no to eating corpses, I do however think that they should wait until they are at 25% starvation before eating animal corpses and 50% for human.

In short I quite like this feature so I say keep it.

During a shortage is fine but I had a pawn pick up a corpse and eat it because the corpse was two squares closer than a freezer with 200+ meals in it. The prioritization is a little weird.

Grax

Quote from: Britnoth on July 21, 2016, 03:07:22 AM
Im upset that the only way to control such behaviour is through intense micromanagement that wastes my time.
Hey! What are you complaining about? EVERY GAME is just a waste of time. ;-))

One second more, one second less, it's no matter.
Wrong micromanaging teaches you for the future colonies.

Since A8 (or A9? even don't remember) when corpses were banned by default it's no problem with kitchen and anything with meat usage.

Britnoth

Quote from: Grax on July 24, 2016, 10:30:34 AM
Quote from: Britnoth on July 21, 2016, 03:07:22 AM
Im upset that the only way to control such behaviour is through intense micromanagement that wastes my time.
Hey! What are you complaining about? EVERY GAME is just a waste of time. ;-))

One second more, one second less, it's no matter.
Wrong micromanaging teaches you for the future colonies.

Since A8 (or A9? even don't remember) when corpses were banned by default it's no problem with kitchen and anything with meat usage.

1 more or less second wasnt the problem. 5-10 minutes on normal speed while i micro the hauling and forbidding of corpses however, was.

Human corpses were not forbidden by default, which is what let to this issue in the first place.

Grax

Quote from: Britnoth on July 25, 2016, 09:50:29 AM
1 more or less second wasnt the problem. 5-10 minutes on normal speed while i micro the hauling and forbidding of corpses however, was.
Heeeey.
Just look here. https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13421.msg137547#msg137547
It won't take so long as you think. You just learn to micromanage. Some minutes to arrange and it'll get out of you hair forever.

Human corpses were not forbidden by default, which is what let to this issue in the first place.
Human corpses are forbidden for butchering and human meat is forbidden for kitchen by default. That's it.

Kagemusha12

Is one of your colonists named "Armin Meiwes"?

Kegereneku

Idea :
Have a Second Level of "Starving" where eating humans corpse start looking like a possibility. (exception for cannibal)
That way you can have this level just before "dying".

To me it sound like the above would solve everything, for all other case, a minimal micromanagement is required. The game ain't gonna play itself and you are meant to deal with character with their own mentality, we call them pawn, but they aren't just brainless automation.

(while we are at it, what about someone starving going to hunt non-predator target autonomously ?)
"Sam Starfall joined your colony"
"Sam Starfall left your colony with all your valuable"
-------
Write an Event
[Story] Write an ending ! (endless included)
[Story] Imagine a Storyteller !