Please remove human pawns eating corpses.

Started by Britnoth, July 20, 2016, 06:38:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Britnoth

I just had my first experience with this. I fail to spot a colonist walking off to take a bite out of a raider that was not yet dead the last time I looked.

Result = total of -40 mood, then they promptly went berserk. I promptly quit the game.

This 'feature' does nothing but force even more micromanagement when you are short of food.

Either allow us to set a minimum quality of meal for colonists and animals, or remove this rage inducing 'feature'.  :-\

JesterHell

I think micromanaging food during a shortage is natural and logical.

As for setting a minimum quality food for your colonist I don't think a pawn should starve themselves to death because the player says no to eating corpses, I do however think that they should wait until they are at 25% starvation before eating animal corpses and 50% for human.

In short I quite like this feature so I say keep it.

cultist

Nooo I've been waiting for ages for this feature and you want it removed? Never!

By the way, there is a bug with food preference in A14, possibly part of the reason for your issues. But if you are totally out of food, your pawns do what they have to do to stay alive.

Dante King

on the first public Alpha14 build I've had no actual issues, but I have had colonists eat raider corpses that were in a dumping stockpile, and I have no issues with it, even though one went beserk promptly after.

Kashipoi

That -40 mood is supposed to be punishment for managing a vital resource (Food) so poorly. People do very questionable things when facing starvation sometimes, I think unless it's part of the food priority bug people report from time to time it's working as intended.

Britnoth

Quote from: Kashipoi on July 20, 2016, 03:03:52 PM
That -40 mood is supposed to be punishment for managing a vital resource (Food) so poorly. People do very questionable things when facing starvation sometimes, I think unless it's part of the food priority bug people report from time to time it's working as intended.

This it not about ' being punished' (jesus...) for 'managing poorly'. Starving comes with its own penalties. This is about having to play on normal speed for long periods of time because the games default behaviour is so entirely ridiculous I cannot trust it.

Forcing me to control pawns manually for 5-10 minutes after a raid just so they don't do something I don't want them to do is NOT a game play issue, it is a USER INTERFACE issue - if i forbid the items, then they will not do it.

I saw that this is a 'feature' that people requested. I have no idea why.

A similar mechanic would be: Pawns if they get unhappy commit suicide. But you can tell them not to with just a forbid button. But every time something on the map dies, everyones suicide button gets reset back to on. Forcing you to play on normal speed and micromange for... no damn reason whatsoever.

See the difference?

Dante King

Humans eating raider corpses during periods of large starvation makes complete sense, and your making it seem like you can simply disable it by forbidding the corpses, so why are you upset about this?

Britnoth

Quote from: Dante King on July 21, 2016, 01:16:20 AM
Humans eating raider corpses during periods of large starvation makes complete sense, and your making it seem like you can simply disable it by forbidding the corpses, so why are you upset about this?

Please reread my post.

Im upset that the only way to control such behaviour is through intense micromanagement that wastes my time.

Dante King

Possibly a bug, since the mechanic makes perfect sense, you have messed up and simply need to do better, aka, git gud. But I do think it's a bug or you not noticing that forbidding corpses would logically disallow colonists from eating them, but OFC I do agree on being able to control what a colonist/prisoner/tamed animal eats, I would adore that feature.

Kashipoi

If this is a genuine bug/problem really depends a lot on bits of the situation we're not seeing...

If a colonist ran outside past a stocked freezer to eat a corpse outside, yeah this is a problem. If it was in the halls of the colony and there was barely any food and a colonist was nearby, it's working as intended.

The latter is one reason you assign a dumping zone for corpses that die in your home area, otherwise they die and end up unforbidden and you get problems.

gmillar

People don't go berserk when they're forced to turn to cannibalism, there's plenty of historical evidence of that. Actually, people don't really go berserk. It's incredibly rare. The vast majority of humans do not have it in them in any way. It's a 1 in 10 million kind of thing.

Juan el Demgrafo

We can all agree that hard mental breaks needs some major retooling.
I feel that this thread has some good things to say about this:
https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=21686.0
240 hours on Steam of this 2017-7-23.

Quote from: Shurp on July 29, 2016, 06:30:22 PM
...tell her to go stand in the corner of her bedroom, and beat her when she tires of it.

I really need to finish researching beer.

Vagabond

Quote from: gmillar on July 21, 2016, 05:31:35 AM
People don't go berserk when they're forced to turn to cannibalism, there's plenty of historical evidence of that. Actually, people don't really go berserk. It's incredibly rare. The vast majority of humans do not have it in them in any way. It's a 1 in 10 million kind of thing.

I second this. However, when someone does go berserk, the chances of "infecting" other people is certainly a "thing". Eating corpses ritually or as a mean of celebrating conquest has been documented among many cultures. People tend to eat what is available and most satisfying at that moment. In a time of famine, some might turn to eating rats, dogs, or horses that they would have otherwise not done. If someone is starving and the only option is a corpse, while it may not be ideal, is their only option. I imagine someone could get over the fact they are consuming a human corpse when nothing else is available, especially if the group supports one another. Doing so when you are by yourself would be considerably easier, while objections of a majority might make it a very difficult thing to do. If it isn't in your tradition, consuming someone you know would be very hard, while consuming a stranger (especially one that meant you harm) would be easier.

Reviire

Rather than removing cannibalism, I'd prefer to just see the whole mood system improved. People go berserk too easily. It's a backwater colony on a world that wants you dead, you shouldn't start stabbing your mate because you have to sleep on the ground in a dirty spot for a few days.

But otherwise I think it's a neat feature. If you starve your pawns, they'll start eating corpses if it's the only food left.

Quote from: Gizogin on March 16, 2012, 11:59:01 PM
I think I've been sigged more times as a result of my comments in this thread than I have in most of my other activity on these forums. 

theapolaustic1

I can fully agree with the cannibalism being resorted to too quickly. The problem isn't that humans resort to cannibalism, it's that they resort to it as soon as they're at the level of "starving", meaning as soon as their food gauge is empty. That's easy to do when you're on a "as soon as it comes in it goes out" level of colony early on.

What would make more sense to me would be for them to eat prepared human meat at the current stage, and then be willing to eat a corpse raw at say 30% malnutrition. I can understand it as a last resort, but it doesn't feel like my colonists are using it as a last resort.

Also I still think that acquired traits would be cool and that cannibalism would be a prime example of a good one to do.