Alpha 15 and children

Started by thelordfeather, July 20, 2016, 10:54:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

falcongrey

Quote from: fizban1978 on July 21, 2016, 07:58:46 AM

Water is cool indeed, but i can understand Tynan's point of view. I guess its not cost effective to add water. Im ok with that. The game is awesome as it is now.  Falcongray,  think water implementation is also very, very complex as it changes lots of stuff which might be relevant to water.
Thanks for the link, I'll read it.

I just hope he wont add children to this game, or at least an option to disable them. I also think they are not cost effective (as i stated in my previous reply).

But vehicles, man, these could be great!

There is a mod with vehicles (for A13 right now and WIP), but it masses up a whole lot of other mods i dont really wish to play currently.

Yeah, I also agree water as a resource WOULD be nice, however it had something to do with micromanagement over implementation if I remember right. I think there is a mod to add water as a resource but not sure. Personally, I feel there are a lot of more important things than water at the moment. But at any rate, Tynan has the final say so on that I'm not going to worry about water. Fishing would be nice if he would add it. ;)
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

keylocke

Quote from: theaetetus on July 21, 2016, 03:40:16 PM
Quote from: BugPowderDust on July 21, 2016, 01:32:56 PM
I don't want to see children in this game. Call me a sentimentalist, but children dying isn't something I want in a game.

Did somebody say renewable source of human leather and kibble?

yea, i don't get why people keep politicizing everything. it's so easy to get people into a *trigger intensifies* mode these days.. haha

eberkain

Personally I would like to see a children mechanic, but make it optional where colonists have safe sex unless you go to their relationship tab and check a box to let them try and have a kid.   But the colony has to be prepared to support the baby and the mother.  Then you could introduce stuff like a caregiver job and zone a daycare area.  We could have toybox as a kids only joy item.  At some point they could start doing hauling jobs and then later on they are just a regular colonist and do jobs like everyone else.

isRyan

QuotePersonally I would like to see a children mechanic, but make it optional where colonists have safe sex unless you go to their relationship tab and check a box to let them try and have a kid.   But the colony has to be prepared to support the baby and the mother.  Then you could introduce stuff like a caregiver job and zone a daycare area.  We could have toybox as a kids only joy item.  At some point they could start doing hauling jobs and then later on they are just a regular colonist and do jobs like everyone else.

This guy has the right idea, but I think the children should be implemented as another driving story element, rather than a time/cost effective way to repopulate a colony.
Make them grow up in real game time, where it actually takes 10 in game years or something for them to turn 10 years old. Let their parents and early jobs actually have an effect on their traits and skills. Don't let us grow them in vats, don't accelerate their growth cycles.

Make it a big decision, a long term investment with the payout of a single colonist that you helped raise, and a very high risk of them dying, or getting kidnapped and ransomed(hint) somewhere in-between.

This is really the only way i can see it being done in rimworld. It would be challenging, extremely rewarding, and make for some interesting stories.

Avtomatik

I thought of children more as a liability than an asset.

You got kids that dont do much, but at the same time you have to protect them cause if anything happens to them their parents would go nuts - i think that would be realistic ;)

fizban1978

Simple enough - children do not belong in this game.
If I want more peeps, I capture them or buy them.
Well, that's my opinion.

fear-less

Can Colonist get pregnant or not?

I really would like to see offsprings from my colonists.
They have Sex, why they don't have kids... Are they all infertil/importent? It isn't realistic for my view.
I want babys. When other gamers don't want it, then they can keep their colonist seperated or a new function is needed with name: condom :-)

Boston

Quote from: fear-less on August 02, 2016, 02:50:49 PM
Can Colonist get pregnant or not?

I really would like to see offsprings from my colonists.
They have Sex, why they don't have kids... Are they all infertil/importent? It isn't realistic for my view.
I want babys. When other gamers don't want it, then they can keep their colonist seperated or a new function is needed with name: condom :-)

Colonists do (obviously) have sex, and women can actually get pregnant. It isn't connected in any way to conception, as you have to "force it" with the developer console, but once that happens, the pregnancy progresses realistically.

It uses the same progression as animal pregnancy. The only thing is; the baby being born isn't actually a baby, but a full-grown adult. That is because the "life-stages" models and such for human children aren't actually implemented in-game yet. The categories are, but any models aren't. So, the children pop out as adults.

Human children are coming, people. It is only a matter of time.

Franklin

Quote from: falcongrey on July 20, 2016, 07:43:10 PMWater is one thing Tynan has stated will not become a resource, sorry. If he changes his mind in the future it would be up to him. I personally would love to see fishing added to the game for a food source! Would be awesome and mods exist for that.
Did he explain what his reasoning was for disliking water as a resource? It seems like a fundamental need and opens up a lot of utility, like rain/snow collection, etc.