What animals should not be hunted?

Started by RaginCajun, July 20, 2016, 04:12:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaginCajun

I recall reading in a post somewhere about a few animals to stay far away from.  Wasn't sure why though as the post didn't address that.  Boomrats was one but I can't recall the other two.  Anyone have any info on this (as far as what and why?)

Dread Zep

probably shouldnt hunt anything that can easily kill you and boomalopes which exploded when you kill them

Shinzy

I personally try not to hunt anything that gives you the "This animal will probably kill you if you try to tame it" warning when you attempt to tame it.
Or anything that explodes while it is anywhere near my base

b0rsuk

Raccoons, because if you kill a raccoon I will be very mad at you. My first plush toy was a raccoon.

captainradish

I typically don't hunt the following:

1.) predators (bears, panthers, wolves, etc)
2.) things that explode when you shoot them (boomalope, boomrats)
3.) very large herbivores (muffalo, elephants)

b0rsuk

FAST pack animals like deer are dangerous to hunt! If they get mad, they will chase you down and trample into the ground.

Dread Zep

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 20, 2016, 04:41:01 PM
FAST pack animals like deer are dangerous to hunt! If they get mad, they will chase you down and trample into the ground.
why all my hunters have large predators assigned to them, can always sacrafice the animal or use it to tank the group. the grazers wont stomp u to death tho, so u can always catch a quick revive if things do go south

edit: the large grazer can sometimes stomp u to death if the last blow is enough to kill u before disabling u

Raf's

Quote from: Dread Zep on July 20, 2016, 04:46:32 PM
why all my hunters have large predators assigned to them, can always sacrafice the animal or use it to tank the group. the grazers wont stomp u to death tho, so u can always catch a quick revive if things do go south

edit: the large grazer can sometimes stomp u to death if the last blow is enough to kill u before disabling u
Don't forget that some animals il eat your colonists ALIVE, keep that in mind.

RaginCajun

Quote from: Dread Zep on July 20, 2016, 04:46:32 PM

Well, I lost my last colony when hunting muffalo.  They stampeded my hunter to death and then proceeded to enter my compound and destroy everyone.

DariusWolfe

Any animal can be hunted, you just have to be careful how you do it with some of them.

For deer and such, don't send a trigger happy hunter. They will likely do a lot of collateral damage to other deer, which increases the chances of a manhunter break.

For predators, especially bears and such, I usually hunt them deliberately, with 2-3 hunters for a single predator. The massed fire is usually sufficient to take them down quickly. If they come after you, they only come after one of you, so you can use that one to kite the predator around (this tactic also works with manhunters, but it's harder to prepare for those). Normally they'll die quickly, or at least be slowed down by wounds.

The same tactic generally works for Thrumbo, but you'll want a strong building with multiple doors, because they're big and fast. Have whichever hunter the Thrumbo is going after duck behind a door, and immediately start engaging it with another hunter, who will usually draw it away before it can do much damage.

For boomalopes and boomrats, you've got a couple options. Either get a nice clear area where there's no foliage (making one with plant cutters is an option) or just have your whole colony on hand, and prep the area as a Home area, so they'll extinguish the fires. If you can, kill the booms one at a time, so you can address the fires individually. Assuming you want the meat and leather, that is; If you're just trying to clear the booms away from your colony, a firebreak of 2-4 clear tiles between your hunting area and the areas you'll want to protect should be sufficient, and you can just let them burn.

FalconBR

In 14c I am having Thumbos spanwing everyweek (phoebe - rought), I got enough meat to last to eternity, also an infinity supply of money!

But I really want pandas in the game, just to see some PETA members whinning about!

Wex

I hunt explosive animals when it's raining.
So I have no problems with uncontrolled fires.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison