How to get rid of space junk

Started by Shurp, July 22, 2016, 06:33:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

So if you're like me, you get annoyed by drop pods cluttering the border of your map with leathers and milk and other junk you don't need once your colony is useful.  Well, I just discovered how to get rid of it all without sending people to pick it up:

1) Wait for a bulk trader caravan to show up
2) Clear the "forbidden" flag on the junk
3) Designate the area the junk is in as part of your Home zone
4) Sell it to the trader

Some might call this an exploit, but seeing as this junk is just lying there free for the taking it should have been hauled off by someone or something long ago.  It certainly doesn't add to the game experience to have it lying there.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

ChimpX

That is an amazing tip. Thanks Shurp!

SpaceDorf

Homezone is enough ?
I thought the stuff had to be in a stockpile ?

But homezone, stockpile its no big difference :)

Nice to know, thanks :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Wex

Just remember that perishables will rot! If the crash brings you meals ready to eat, go grab them!
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

RawCode

5) ignore it and be happy, it does not ask for food and virgins

Shurp

It doesn't have to be in a stockpile.  You can sell clutter anywhere to a caravan.  For orbital traders you also need a beacon.

This might be something to get fixed in a later update -- if you want to sell stuff to a caravan, require that you bring it to the trading pole outside for them to buy.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.