The "Last name of the inventor of gravity____" question is LIES.

Started by PrimalAndrew, July 20, 2016, 07:33:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PrimalAndrew

In actuality, it was not Newton, but a man named Brahma Sphuta Siddhanta Gupta.

The answer should be Gupta.

[Source: I doctorates in both Western Mathematical Histories & Indian Studies]

Dread Zep

Tagasaki

Yeah it was discovered, the understanding and method of understanding it, to invent gravity would mean before discovering everyone would be floating without anchoring.

skullywag

Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Calahan

Quote from: PrimalAndrew on July 20, 2016, 07:33:14 PM
In actuality, it was not Newton, but a man named Brahma Sphuta Siddhanta Gupta.

The answer should be Gupta.

[Source: I doctorates in both Western Mathematical Histories & Indian Studies]
If you changed the answer to "Gupta", then it is likely that 99.9% of the people who encountered that question when trying to create a forum account during the "I am not a bot" test would fail. Which would achieve what exactly? Nothing, apart from annoying people who are trying to create a forum account.

You can try to argue that this particular question should be removed because the person who discovered gravity is disputed (in scientific circles). But changing the answer to the question is just a very bad idea that will only annoy people.

Edit - This is like saying that if one of the questions was "What is the furthest planet from the Sun?", then the answer shouldn't be "Pluto" because in some circles it is argued that Pluto is not a planet. Which might well be true, but it is irrelevant to the purpose of the question.

The question exists to differentiate humans from bots, and the vast majority of people consider Pluto to be the furthest planet from the Sun. Therefore the question and answer serve the required purpose. Whether or not the answer is 100% irrefutably accurate in all circles of life and academia is immaterial.

skullywag

Moved this to support as its regarding forum functionality. Keep it civil please.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

loc978

Questions like that are why captcha has a refresh button.

Mikhail Reign

The majority of people consider Pluto a planet? I think it's that's taking a leap.

milon

Good for them. Because it is. There was a short-ish period of time that it wasn't, but it didn't stay that way. ;)