Replay Files?

Started by Vas, February 27, 2014, 11:10:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vas

Wow, there's just a million ideas here.  I will have to go through to see of my other ideas are already posted, but I have one I believe, or hope, is unique enough that I can post a topic for it without someone saying "already suggested". :P

Anyone ever played Starcraft or Starcraft 2?  Both games let you have .replay files or .sc2replay.  In this case it'd likely be .rimreplay or even .rimlog or .rimstory

Basically it'll record your entire game play from start to finish, till you click save replay.  And let you re-watch it without it being some huge video file, every event happening exactly as it did in game, your colonists will move the same way everywhere and all that.  It'll just re-do everything the exact same way, if you know what I'm trying to say.  Kind of like one big script file so nothing will be different that happened in the first time through. This may even include trade windows and mail windows and everything.  Or perhaps it would skip UI windows because it pauses the game using those.  Instead then, it would display white text on the top or somewhere saying "DrakeVille Colony traded xxx silver xxx metal xxx food for xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx".

What do you think?  This would not only help people with computers that can't record video while playing, but give a way to share a bug report by saying something happened and giving the replay file, or help someone who plays through once, to re-live the story and type out a rimworld document based on the events that transpired in this story you played once.

If this has been suggested once before, and I mean in good detail, not just some post saying "I want replays" and no more text explaining it, then you can delete my post or simply let me know.  :P  I just want to get some of my ideas out while they are still fresh, and if I see to many posts, I may forget some of the ideas.
Click to see my steam. I'm a lazy modder who takes long breaks and everyone seems to hate.

BugPowderDust

Yes, this is a necro, but it's a great idea. I would love a replay system, so if something epic or unusual happens, we could rewind and then capture the moment on video or in screenshots for a story.

Please please please :)

lode

Quote from: BugPowderDust on April 25, 2016, 03:22:02 AM
Yes, this is a necro, but it's a great idea. I would love a replay system, so if something epic or unusual happens, we could rewind and then capture the moment on video or in screenshots for a story.

Please please please :)

Made an account just to speak up on this point. Love the game but how is this missing?

I am really surprised this is not high on the list of "want-to-haves" for the developers, and "must-have" from a business/sales perspective. I mean who doesn't want to see realtime playback of epic battles?  Beyond being cool it's also incredibly practical - the content / streaming and thus exposure (read: $$$) of the game will explode. The only thing holding back an epic game from epic recognition are the epic pauses.

Anyone got anything on this? Obi-Wan, you're my only hope....

BugPowderDust

Certainly a way of doing this is using nVidia ShadowPlay, which records the last 20 mins of your game, but ofc not everyone has this option.

So yes, still would love to see this, although I can imagine implementing it is no small thing.