I want more "Weird and Spacey" Stuff

Started by SpaceDorf, July 21, 2016, 02:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SpaceDorf

Hiho.

I hope the Topic says it all. For now I have no real suggestion on how to do that, so these are welcome,
but I am a little bit sad about the number of Earth Critters that swarm my map at the moment.

I know that the backstory says most of the worlds were Terraformed or Earthlike from the start at some point but still I would love more Alien-Feely animals and stuff. While the new additions of torches and dried meat really add to the lost and stranded feeling it feels more and more like planecrash in russia than being in space.

I really love the spelopedes, the boomrats, muffalos, thrumbos, the glowing mushroom mod, everything that has a "not quite like earth" feeling that made Rimworld special. With all the "normal" animals it feels more and more like another Dwarf Fortress Clone.

I want for Rimworld to have its own lore and stuff. Unique stuff. Remember the Tiberium-Trees ? Weird Ray Guns from Fallout and X-Com ? The Strohl Amunitions Plasma Cannon from Schlock Mercenary ?
Old School Sci-Fi Blobmonsters .. not Modern Day US Marines with Tom Clancy Detail Arsenal vs. Blue Native Aliens who are more human than humans .. still the animals where cool .. similiar but not quite there ..

I hope by now you get my meaning :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

Vagabond

I would suggest you take a look at this:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1pIZyKif0bFbBWten4drrm7kfSSfvBoJPgG9-ywfN8j8/pub

It will give you an idea of what he is and is not willing to implement into the lore. It also explains some things current within the lore.

I'm of the same opinion of you, the lore is extremely lacking and the exclusion of certain sci-fi staples is truly depressing and limiting. We must rely on the modding community to perhaps explore the most interesting elements of the sci-fi genre. This may very well be for the best, because if the base game forced a certain type of sci-fi, some might not enjoy it. Tynan is giving us the framework, the skeleton and it's muscles, allowing modders to "skin" it as they wish.

SpaceDorf

Actually that does not help me :)

There are enough keywords in there that would grant my wish :)

I never said I wanted real Aliens or Enterprise Style Star Travel.

What I want is a bit more outlandish stuff than Ibex Rams and Yorkies.

b0rsuk

Rimworld not quirky enough ? I feel the same way. I want sabertooth badgers!

buttflexspireling

I want more space blanket curtains emitting steam-like paint fumes

that require repair in order to keep them from depressing colonists.

MeowRailroad

I forget what thread it was in, but I remember a while ago seeing people's ideas for hybrid animals. If Megatheriums can be brought back with genetic modding then it isn't too unrealistic to have hybrid animals. Also, that's how boomrats and boomalpoes were made. I would also like to see at least a few fictional creatures, as one of the things I LOVE about Rimworld is how anachronistic everything is. Just like how it isn't unreasonable in Rimworld to be fighting people with swords, clubs, moden rifles, and laser guns it would be pretty cool to see extinct species, modern animals, and fictional ones to be in the same place.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

SpaceDorf