Setting reset on restart

Started by Batpeter, July 22, 2016, 03:40:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Batpeter

All my settings reset when restarting the game. Game options and mod enabling/ordering.
I'm running through Steam on Win10

milon

Sounds like a file permissions issue. Ultimately, we need to make sure that Windows is actually allowing RimWorld to save changes that it makes to the settings file.

I'm looking up the path etc right now. In the meantime, tell me how techy you are so I know what level of detail to provide.

EDIT:
I could be mistaken about this, but it looks like it uses the same path as DRM-free RimWorld for its settings.  On Windows, that's typically C:\Users\[WINDOWS-USER-NAME]\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Config\
The AppData folder is hidden by default, so for the not-technically-inclined, here's one way to access your config folder:

• Click the Windows Start icon and select File Explorer
  • In the address bar next to the Up arrow, type in %AppData% and press Enter
  • Click the Up arrow once, and you should now see 3 folders: Local, LocalLow, Roaming
  • Double-click LocalLow, then Ludeon Studios, then RimWorld

Now you should see a folder called Config, among other folders.  Here's how to make sure Windows has its permissions set correctly.  (NOTE: Windows may ask you to provide Admin permissions at some point.  If it does, enter the Admin password for your computer.)

• Right-click on Config, select Properties
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Edit
  • Click on your Windows account user name
  • Click the Allow checkbox for every option (Full control, Modify, etc)
  • Click OK twice. Retry RimWorld.

Batpeter

Hi, thanks that was a good idea but unfortunately everything was already on 'Allow'. I'm techy enough to follow any instructions. I already made sure that both the Rimworld executable and Steam are started with administrator permissions.

Actually the files are being edited correctly when the game is running but it reverts them to their defaults (not sure if they are actually defaults) once the game starts again.
Once the game starts it edits Knowledge.xml and ModsConfig.xml. I don't know what changes in the Knowledge.xml file or what it is for but all the mods get removed (disabled) from ModsConfig.xml. The game actually deletes the Prefs.xml file every time it starts!

Perhaps an issue with the registry settings for Rimworld?

milon

Regarding registry settings, I believe it only stores 4 keys.  And they're all related to display (Fullscreen, Resolution Width, Resolution Height, Monitor #).  See HKCU\SOFTWARE\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld.

But it's really weird that it would "reset" them every time.  Try deleting the Config folder and then launch RimWorld again.

Batpeter

Doesn't work. BTW the game actually deletes and recreates all three files i mentioned. The difference with Prefs.xml is that it only creates it when i enter the options menu.

Batpeter

OK, i switched to the unstable beta build and now it properly saves my Modsconfig and Knowledge files. Even when i switch back to the normal build. However, Prefs.xml still gets deleted..

milon

I'm going to add another weirdness to this:

I'm on Win10 x64, running RimWorld through Steam.  I had some old saves, so I deleted them.  When I fire up RimWorld, the deleted saves reappear.  I checked in File Explorer, and they are indeed back again.

Here's what I think is happening:
There was some weirdness related to Windows 10 and save files being updated/erased correctly (aka not at all).  I think we're seeing this same behavior again.  I'll flag it to Tynan & Ison.

Batpeter

Thanks for the help. Win10 Pro N x64 here.

Tynan

It maybe be related to Steam itself, actually, updating files from the cloud.

Can you perhaps disable cloud sync for this game and see if it happens? Or, barring that, just disconnect your Internet and try?
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

milon

Disabling Steam sync seems to fix the issue for me (deleted saves no longer reappear).

@Batpeter, does that work for you?

Batpeter

milon

It seems weird that Steam won't properly sync changes.  If RimWorld edits/deletes files, shouldn't that change propagate upstream through Steam to any other Steam clients I have?  (As opposed to Steam noticing the change and immediately reverting it.)