[Mod] (Alpha 4f) Improvised Explosive Devices

Started by Liegeman, June 11, 2014, 05:35:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Liegeman

A very simple mod that uses the Blasting Charges as a base. (First mod, woot!)
I always found it odd that the colonists could just lay some metal down real quick and have it explode on command, without any visible explosives being used.

Colonists struggling against heavily armed pirates seem the desperate sort who would have to resort to jury-rigged explosives to survive, so I patterned these after real IEDs in use today. (Not to mention that military grade munitions seem to rain down like mana from a generous god of war.)

This mod adds two different kinds of IEDs. One is made with Artillery Shells and is roughly equivalent to the current blasting charge. The other is made with Missiles and is a little larger. Both have to be built on diggable terrain. (I plan to make better art that shows them partially buried)

I suspect that these are currently quite unbalanced, so I'd appreciate any feedback on it.

Future goals:

• Better art
  • Proximity fuses
  • Production line allowing colonists to extract raw explosives from shells and missiles, to be used in more sophisticated mines.
  • Make Missile-based IED 2x2
  • Add special shrapnel explosive type that does less damage to buildings and more to pawns
  • More kinds of IEDs like nail-bombs made with scavenged explosives
  • Actual mining explosives (Takes out large chunks of rock, but too expensive to risk using against raids)

Mod can be found here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/59026661/IED.zip

This is totally free for all to use. Credit goes to Tynan for pretty much all of the actual code behind this.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 4.0 International License. <- I believe this is the correct license for this. Please correct me if I am wrong.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

tarakanhb

Mine is of the shells?
firecracker or mine

Good thing is fragmentation mine with rubber (something there), to blow but not killed, and subsequently capture

ps thanks for the mod, he's funny =)

loc978

Really good idea using shells and missiles rather than just metal. This could turn into some sort of TNT economy, refined to different degrees... and then replaced with RDX.

In regards to the balance issues, I've always felt that was due a couple of unrealistic features of blasting charges.

First is the method of detonation, just the ability of the player to set them off anywhere, at any time, without involving a colonist. Honestly, I think we should have to build detonators, maybe start with old-fashioned ones where we have to run wires to a plunger, then research wireless detonation and have a colonist operate it from a powered console.

Second is the AI's propensity to just ignore the charges. This one is probably something only Tynan could change, but... setting an explosive out in the open, unburied, in front of a door? Smarter raiders would just shoot the explosive until it either went boom or leaked out all of its 'splodey bits.

leemaths

QuoteSecond is the AI's propensity to just ignore the charges. This one is probably something only Tynan could change, but... setting an explosive out in the open, unburied, in front of a door? Smarter raiders would just shoot the explosive until it either went boom or leaked out all of its 'splodey bits.

It is actually really easy to make raiders target blasting charges, you just need to add one line to the blasting charge thing def, that I have highlighted in bold

</costList>
      <researchPrerequisite>BlastingCharges</researchPrerequisite>
      <combatTargetBuilding>true</combatTargetBuilding>
      <surfaceNeeded>Light</surfaceNeeded>
      <designationCategory>Security</designationCategory>
      <ConstructionEffect>ConstructMetal</ConstructionEffect>

Psyckosama

IMHO the best balance for blasting chargers is to make it so they can be targeted... make people THINK about how to set up the proper traps. For example a barrier wall with enough blasting charges to orbit Manhattan island behind it

They start trying to rip the door down, bunch up and... KABOOM!

Liegeman

Quote from: leemaths on June 12, 2014, 01:59:07 PM
QuoteSecond is the AI's propensity to just ignore the charges. This one is probably something only Tynan could change, but... setting an explosive out in the open, unburied, in front of a door? Smarter raiders would just shoot the explosive until it either went boom or leaked out all of its 'splodey bits.

It is actually really easy to make raiders target blasting charges, you just need to add one line to the blasting charge thing def, that I have highlighted in bold

</costList>
      <researchPrerequisite>BlastingCharges</researchPrerequisite>
      <combatTargetBuilding>true</combatTargetBuilding>
      <surfaceNeeded>Light</surfaceNeeded>
      <designationCategory>Security</designationCategory>
      <ConstructionEffect>ConstructMetal</ConstructionEffect>

Ah. Thanks for this, I figured there was a setting for that somewhere.
I think that when I get graphics for the buried IEDs, they will be an extra level of research and be untargetable. The initial ones, on the other hand, will sit above ground and be targetable. (And build faster, and not require diggable terrain.)