Mods/Steam Workshop/Auto update: problem for savegames?

Started by Tortuosit, July 23, 2016, 02:11:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

notfood

Hm- I like the Don't Starve integration for the workshop. It won't update your mods if you have saves using it even if the workshop updated as it keeps them in a different folder. It just notifies you when a mod has been updated and you can do so manually, when you click update it merely copies the folder from the workshop to the local.

Maybe we can make a mod to do so? Doesn't seem that difficult.

skullywag

Technically all the methods handling this are available (I think). Is it wrong to detour them to add a user interaction to move the mods from a temporary storage or something. So yes itll grab the update but itll put it in storage waiting to be "applied". Is this breaking any rules we shouldnt?
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

RemingtonRyder

The user has to install the mod in order to enable this behaviour, so... they are informed, at least. Whether's it's legal or not, I have no idea.

It's sort of a strange turn of events that Bethesda are actually on top of the mod update breaking saved games issue. At least on XBox One.

The mod workshop that they have looks bloody horrible what with stuff showing up in a billion different categories, but it works - if you don't want to update a mod, you don't have to. As is standard for decent modded games these days there's also in-game modlist re-ordering.

notfood

Quote from: skullywag on July 25, 2016, 03:06:25 PM
Technically all the methods handling this are available (I think). Is it wrong to detour them to add a user interaction to move the mods from a temporary storage or something. So yes itll grab the update but itll put it in storage waiting to be "applied". Is this breaking any rules we shouldnt?

Don't even need to create a temporary storage, just ignore the workshop folder, that's the temporary storage. Just read the mod versions for updates. If user isn't using the mod, copy it automatically, if they are using the mod, mark the mod for updating and notify on save load perhaps? Something like, this save is using an old version of this and this mods, continue?

RawCode

Case 1: Update going to fix severe issue that crash game a lot - all users by default not going to update automatically and whine on forum constantly, developer got mind break from this stupidity and abandoned modification.

Case 2: Update is stupid and break saves - all users by default update automatically and whine on forum. Developer just ignore everyone, he don't care.

Case 3: Developer is allowed to select, is update optional or not, fine, he break saves and post untested trash as mandatory update - users whine on forum, developer don't care.

As you can see, system without forced updates cause problems for "good" developers.
System with forced updates, cause problems for users, who play games from "bad" developers.

Steam does not care about bad developers and bad games, this is reason of current system implementation.

While I don't disagree with you (RawCode) in principle, it's never that simple.  Even good developers have a bug that slips though which could potentially break a save.

But that doesn't change that Valve shouldn't take away the control from the user.  Both parties (developer and user) should have a say as to when an update happens.  The developers get this say by publishing an update, the users should get a say by whether they choose to update.
(2*b)||!(2*b) - That is the question.
There are 10 kinds of people in this world - those that understand binary and those that don't.