My first successful colony in A14 so far

Started by Leah, July 20, 2016, 05:28:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leah

ive been working on my colony for the past few days now and i was wondering what some of you guys thought of it

main section of the colony

kitchen, fridge, hospitals, etc

southern defense

battery room (currently being worked on)

prison

mine

northern defense

bedrooms
Make cowboy hat x50.

Mrred1

That's one massive colony! Great work man! Just wait for a short circuit and oohhh boy...
"Friendship is like peeing on yourself: everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings." ~ Robert Bloch ~

falcongrey

Wow! Very impressive and grats!  ;D

Always a great feeling when the colony makes it that far. Thank you for sharing your happiness!
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Leah

Quote from: Mrred1 on July 20, 2016, 07:19:49 PM
That's one massive colony! Great work man! Just wait for a short circuit and oohhh boy...

its happened before, luckily i have most of the colonists fire fighting priority high so they put it out really fast, we were out of power for a good few days too...
would you have any tips for better power set up?
Make cowboy hat x50.

Wex

Have 2 sets of batteries. Half of them not on line, by using a switch or by putting them on storage (they keep the charge)
Also, I manage a colony of 45 with 6 batteries and 8 are in back up. Firefoam poppers in battery room. Always.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

falcongrey

Quote from: Wex on July 20, 2016, 07:45:16 PM
Have 2 sets of batteries. Half of them not on line, by using a switch or by putting them on storage (they keep the charge)
Also, I manage a colony of 45 with 6 batteries and 8 are in back up. Firefoam poppers in battery room. Always.

Always a good strategy! I also like having the mod (when updated) that lets you research Fuses! That helps a LOT and minimizes the damage/fires but not always able to stop them.
It matters not if we win or fail. It's that we stood and faced it.

Leah

Quote from: Wex on July 20, 2016, 07:45:16 PM

how's this? the two big batteries can store same amount as 4 regular batteries
Make cowboy hat x50.

Wex

You have too many.
The explosion of the zzzt... event would be cataclysmatic.
I am talking about several colonists killed and a huge inferno.
If you are underground, your colony will become a crematory oven.

P.s. the colony is of 45 people. Not 45 batteries.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

Leah

Quote from: Wex on July 20, 2016, 11:42:23 PM
You have too many.
The explosion of the zzzt... event would be cataclysmatic.
I am talking about several colonists killed and a huge inferno.
If you are underground, your colony will become a crematory oven.

P.s. the colony is of 45 people. Not 45 batteries.

i knew what you meant and already deconstructed some batteries, and the battery room is not connected to the main colony, its connected to another mountain, with thin walls so if we need to we can mine out a hole to open it to the outdoors and cool down the room enough for people to go in and put out the fires
Make cowboy hat x50.

Crowbar Felt

I've had more power in a Zzzt event and the most it does is make one wire explode in big fire. It really isn't anything serious. All you really need to do is remove a few roofs or punch a hole to equalize temperature so it doesn't cook your colonists.
Someone's organ harvested.  x5

Leah

update on the colony, most of it is still the same but we've upgraded defenses and (for the most part anyway) fixed our energy, with now almost always positive production, with two backup stations for emergencies

Make cowboy hat x50.

Shabazza

I would always make isolated power grids on such a big colony.
One Zzzzzz can really hurt you, man...

Wex

Quote from: Crowbar Felt on July 20, 2016, 11:54:13 PM
I've had more power in a Zzzt event and the most it does is make one wire explode in big fire. It really isn't anything serious. All you really need to do is remove a few roofs or punch a hole to equalize temperature so it doesn't cook your colonists.

The damage of the explosion is linked to the energy. I had an unlucky visitor to pass right where the cable exploded.
With 6 battery he died. I guess with 40 he would have disapeared.
    Harlan Ellison