How does armor mechanic work?

Started by Shurp, July 23, 2016, 11:03:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shurp

My skill 19 smith manufactured several armor vests with a sharp armor rating of 102%.  Does this mean that they'll heal when they get shot in the torso? :)
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Wex

No, it becomes deflection chanche.
It's a roll to avoid the damage entierely, and I guess it starts before 100%, so you will still get damaged.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison

FalconBR

Explain to me what is deflection damage!
Better to explain the complete math because I am using:
On the torso:
Devilstrand duster (50% cutting)
Cotton Button down shirt (10% cutting)
Armor vest (something like 60%)

And I still take like 10 points of damage from charge rifles to the chest!

FalconBR

Quote from: Rahjital on September 06, 2015, 01:26:35 PM
I took a peek at the code, here's what I found out:

Damage reduction from different pieces of apparel does stack, kinda. The calculation is performed separately for each part, so while the effect do stack, there's a difference between having one super-strong armor and more weaker armor pieces.

Armor rating up to 50% reduces damage dealt directly. Anything above 50% reduction instead provides chance to resist the hit completely. Above 100% armor rating, both damage reduction and chance to resist the hit increase, but only at quarter the normal rate. Both damage reduction and chance to resist are capped at 90%. All damage blocked is applied to the armour.

To give an example: B0rsuk's superior power armour has 84% sharp armor rating. A pawn wearing this armour gets shot in the torso. The armour reduces damage by 50% and also gives 34% chance for no damage.

If he were to instead give the pawn a superior hyperweave shirt (31.2% sharp armor) and a superior hyperweave duster (52% sharp armour), the pawn only takes 50% * 68.8% = 34.4% damage from the shot, but also has only 2% chance to avoid the hit entirely. If you add a normal armour vest in, the shot would deal 50% * 50% * 68.8% = 17.2% damage with additional 12% chance to resist entirely.

Just used the search tool and found the awnser!

GarettZriwin

Too lazy to dig, but heres the basic idea of armor:
Depending on armor protection value armor will soften attacks and, above certain point it will take damage entirely.

That point was somewhere around 30-50%. If armor have more than that then any additional % is chance to entirely take damage by armor. So 102% armor wouds be 72% to take damage entirely and 28% to soften it if we assume 30% is "soft armor" treshold.