Playing as a lost tribe (A14) - Supposed to be this hard to get new colonist?

Started by stigma, July 23, 2016, 04:15:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stigma

Hey all,

I'm just looking for some feedback from people who have played the "lost tribe" scenario and have more experience than me.
It seems overall pretty hard, but I can deal with the extreme research penalty and I love the "build from basics" start and the larger group of core colonists.

The thing I keep having problems with however is recruiting new colonists.
It seems like everyone I capture has a 1% chance of converting even with a good warden and comfy cells - making it a very hard and long process to turn anyone.

I guess this is because you are "tribal" and thus you suffer the same problem in reverse that colonies have of recruiting tribals. The problem is this penalty is waaaay worse on this side. I think even other tribals are 1% chance if I remember correctly..?

It just seems like this is overly punishing in the long run and it makes it very hard to expand your colony. 5 people to start helps - but not for long when getting more is extremely difficult. It seems like you have to rely almost elusively on new colonist through random events or buying slaves... is this by design? If so it seems over-tuned. Having recruitment be harder fits with the tribals slow rampup, but the penalty is just so extreme that you could easily keep prisoners for years without converting them and that seems a little too extreme.

What are your thoughts on this, and your strategies for working around it?
I really like the tribal start, but this one issue just seems like it will be crippling in the long term as you REALLY can't afford to lose anyone, plus you will get starved on manpower real fast.

-Stigma

Mutineer

Yes it is inversion from unseal. In normal case you can recruit town people and pirates easy because you have similar language/culture. Tribal are very hard to recruit because they were separated from civilization for very long time and have there own language/culture.. For tribal it is reverse, Other tribal easy, town people and pirates hard.