How bad is performance on very large maps late-game?

Started by stigma, July 23, 2016, 04:21:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stigma

Hey all,

Just wanted to ask real quick, what is your experience of very large maps in late-game with many colonists ect?

I have a fairly beefy CPU (2500K @4,4Ghz) but I don't know how badly performance degrades on large maps when there are loads of entities to track, so I'd love to hear your experiences. I like big maps with lots of options and room to do stuff, but it would be a shame if I find out 10 hours into a campaign that everything slows to a crawl because the system isn't really designed to handle these sizes (Tynan does warn of performance issues in the menu after all...)

Thanks for any feedback you can offer :)
-Stigma

DNK

I haven't played A14 yet, but on A13 on a 3350P I never had performance issues on a ludeonicrous map with tons of mods, 10-15 colonists, a "walk fast" personal mod, and extensive building.

The game does not seem to be very resource hungry if you have even a budget CPU.

I wish we could get much larger maps because of this. I would love something 4-9 times larger than ludeonicrous.

MasterD1085

Honestly I play on a laptop (has 6th gen i5) and on HUGE maps only time I get performance issues is if I have anti-aliasing on.  I just keep it off and everything runs fine

Gennadios

From past experience, issues mostly crop up when there are tons of pawns, map size is only a secondary concern.

Generally the game only starts slowing to a crawl when you get to the point of 80+ pawn tribal raids.

OmniTitan

I am running a high end i7 and get into issues every game I play. Once I pass about 30-40 pawns the game just gets slower from there. Even without mods I struggle to have 50 pawns going at once.

Shurp

Pathfinding is the only cpu-intensive process but it is a mad hungry beast.

Since your pawns usually hang in the vicinity of your base map size is generally less important than number of pawns.  The exception is when an enemy raid shows up on the edge of the map.  Dozens of tribals can hang your computer for a bit while they figure out where they're going.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Tynan

Alpha15c is in testing with big optimizations, on the unstable branch. Try it; it should help a lot.

And let me know if it does!
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Shurp

If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

FMK

Quote from: Tynan on August 31, 2016, 06:55:30 PM
Alpha15c is in testing with big optimizations, on the unstable branch. Try it; it should help a lot.

And let me know if it does!
Oh wow, I can really feel those optimizations. My main world was at the point where it occasionally slowed down at even 1x speed in 15b. Tried out 15c, and it can roll at 3x speed with basically no slowdown at all. 4x speed is still beyond it as far as running seamlessly is concerned, as it's pretty choppy, but it certainly seems to still be faster than 3x speed regardless of that fact.