Mod orphanage

Started by Topper, July 23, 2016, 06:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jaxxa

Another concern is getting permissions to modify / maintain the mods, as some of them, specially older ones may not specifically state their licence agreement.

ruzackovich

how about "birth" some children mod, that would be expected .all animal can, why pawn cannot ?

skullywag

Most rediculously old mods. Can be picked up amd worked on. The only issue would be original art? The code is ludeons at the end of the day.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

Justin C

Quote from: skullywag on July 25, 2016, 03:26:18 AM
Most rediculously old mods. Can be picked up amd worked on. The only issue would be original art? The code is ludeons at the end of the day.
I'm pretty sure any original work in a mod is covered by copyright law. That's why it's best for mod developers to include licenses explaining exactly how people are allowed to use their mod.

It seems to be a bit of a murky area though. I can't find any concrete information on how copyright laws apply to modding.

skullywag

Code is code and ultimately owned by ludeon no way you can license it in that way, theres only so many ways you can write something, hence my point about the art.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?

SagaciousZed

Quote from: Justin C on July 25, 2016, 02:39:05 PM
Quote from: skullywag on July 25, 2016, 03:26:18 AM
I'm pretty sure any original work in a mod is covered by copyright law. That's why it's best for mod developers to include licenses explaining exactly how people are allowed to use their mod.

It seems to be a bit of a murky area though. I can't find any concrete information on how copyright laws apply to modding.

According to the EULA, Ludeon presumably has a license, which supersedes any other license, to all content of a mod. So as long as Ludeon gives an explicit grant of license, the art can also be redistributed according to Ludeon's license.

Long story short, Ludeon could allow people to redistribute orphaned mods.

RawCode

1.) Taking old mods may probably violate some rules.
2.) There is no one to enforce rules, there is no penalty for breaking them.
3.) There are no reasons to worry, take anything you like and keep original author name where it was.

Only real issue is straight plagiarism when original author name is replaced\removed, everything else is acceptable.