[A18] Phi - Multiplayer interactions between colonies

Started by Longwelwind, July 24, 2016, 02:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Longwelwind

Hi !

Phi is a mod that allows players to interact between each other. You can connect to the global default server or host your own to play with your friends.

The mod doesn't and will never offer "real-time" multiplayer, i.e. 2 players playing the same colony at the same time. While it would be really cool, it would require way too much work. No need to ask for it, Phi will not implement it.

The mod isn't full-fledged for the moment, but features & improvements are done in each update. :)

Features:

• Chat: Chat with the connected players
  • Send ship pod: Send items to other connected players (click on their nicknames)
  • [EXPERIMENTAL] Send colonist: : Send you colonist to the colony of an other player.

How to install:
Simply put the archive in the Mods folder like any other mod.

PhiClient | Github repository | Steam Workshop

It doesn't require you to make a new game. Though, please do a backup of your saved game before attempting to use Phi.

Setting up your server
You can download the archive and put it anywhere on your computer.

PhiServer

Launch PhiServer.exe using a shell (so you get the server logs in case of an error).
The server can also be hosted on a Linux server (longwelwind.net is hosted on a Ubuntu Server machine) using mono.

Dogman_27

Fruitsmoothy

TheFlameTouched

Now I am aware that this is a proof of concept, but I've downloaded it and joined your server. I've sent a message via the server tab. Is there a chat log or is something wrong on my side?

shahrukh

daniel7dax

Can we send prisoners to another person's colony? If this gets big you may need a better server, because of the awesome community and the steam release.

Ghostchanter

could this be used like in misc incidents to send players to another colony? they would just go on a "mission" and unusable to the player until they return (in a box lol)?

XxMSWShadowxX

This is bloomin amazing! Proof RimWorld can handle multiplayer connection. all we need now is the ability to raid/assist/visit peoples colonies and manage a real diplomacy to other players.
Virtus, honor, victoria, qualis fides magnatorum effodit.

shirlierox

I think if you could raid/assist/visit other people my computer would explode with my scream of joy haha.

Trading idea does sound really cool as I always seem to have that one resource I never have enough of and 1000's of potatoes.

DAOWAce

2 years; it's finally starting to happen..

I can only imagine what things will be like when the game is finally out of alpha.

Dryerlint

I might send people some of the random organs I harvest from raiders.

LustrousWolf

This mod will be mostly unbalanced though am I right? Since players start at different times. Meaning A player could of spent 10 hours on a server. Have over 5000 plasteel charge rifles and power armor, and then a new player joins and that first player can send the second player say 2500 plasteel 3 charge rifles and 3 power armor sets and they have an easy ride through the game. Maybe there should be some limits as to how much you can send and a time limit where it has to recharge?

EDIT: Also, I assume this mod will not work with any mods, as all players need the core game to play without problems with other players on the server? And can the server work if all players have the same mods on that server?

123nick

how does it work with mod items? what if i send mod items over too a player without the mod?

TheFlameTouched

If both players have the mod then it should work fine. It can be unbalanced as you say LustrousWolf, however, this is as Long said, a very early build, a proof of concept, He fully intends tweaking it further. For now however, grab the mod, install it and come experience multiplayerish rimworld.

If only one of you have the mod, it throws up an error and nothing happens. No negative effects.