[A18] Phi - Multiplayer interactions between colonies

Started by Longwelwind, July 24, 2016, 02:45:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LustrousWolf

Quote from: TheFlameTouched on July 24, 2016, 04:54:11 PM
If both players have the mod then it should work fine. It can be unbalanced as you say LustrousWolf, however, this is as Long said, a very early build, a proof of concept, He fully intends tweaking it further. For now however, grab the mod, install it and come experience multiplayerish rimworld.

If only one of you have the mod, it throws up an error and nothing happens. No negative effects.

I meant other mods sorry. SO both players have Phi, and one player has additional mods it wont work at all correct? But if both players have Phi and  the same other mods loaded, will it work?

TheFlameTouched

Nope, it should work perfectly fine :) Phi just adds a chatroom and trade function as far as I'm aware. Sending mod items over it is the only time the mods would touch each other.

LustrousWolf

Quote from: TheFlameTouched on July 24, 2016, 05:04:56 PM
Nope, it should work perfectly fine :) Phi just adds a chatroom and trade function as far as I'm aware. Sending mod items over it is the only time the mods would touch each other.

Ayyyy that's great!! Now my friends will play rimworld!! The only reason they didn't before was because there wasn't any sort of multiplayer :)

So are there any Phi servers up atm?

TheFlameTouched

LustrousWolf

Longwelwind

Sending colonists is the next feature I'd like to implement, but I will first try to improve error logging and the stability of the server.

Quote from: LustrousWolf on July 24, 2016, 04:46:25 PM
This mod will be mostly unbalanced though am I right? Since players start at different times. Meaning A player could of spent 10 hours on a server. Have over 5000 plasteel charge rifles and power armor, and then a new player joins and that first player can send the second player say 2500 plasteel 3 charge rifles and 3 power armor sets and they have an easy ride through the game. Maybe there should be some limits as to how much you can send and a time limit where it has to recharge?

EDIT: Also, I assume this mod will not work with any mods, as all players need the core game to play without problems with other players on the server? And can the server work if all players have the same mods on that server?
It is up to the players to choose what they want to do with the mod.
Any player can give himself a lot of items with the Debug Mode, anyway, so the player will need to agree to the rules between themselves.

It highly depends on the mods. Technically, a mod wouldn't work with Phi if it has state that isn't transmitted over the wire when a player sends an item of the mod. For "basic" mods that adds item & such, it should work perfectly. For other mods, it could work, but it'd need to be tested.

123nick

one more question- if you send over a statue with art depicting events that happened in your colony, when it reaches the friends colony, will it still have the same art?

LustrousWolf

@Longwelwind
Ahhh I never even thought about players enabling the Dev Command. Do you think you could add a way to disable it? Or a way to restrict parts of the dev mode so players can't cheat?
Since some players may cheat and send in loads of valuables to other players, is there a way to decline items from other players if they want to play legit and not receive cheated in items?
Also, can players re load a save on the server and cheat in that way?
And can they reload multiple saves on the same server? Or is it just 1 save per server?

123nick

tbh, i dont think caring about cheating should be that big a deal. i mean, i see this being used with groups of friends, which in that case can just tell eachother not too cheat stuff in and etc.

LustrousWolf

Quote from: 123nick on July 24, 2016, 06:16:44 PM
tbh, i dont think caring about cheating should be that big a deal. i mean, i see this being used with groups of friends, which in that case can just tell eachother not too cheat stuff in and etc.

Yes that is true. I guess I was thinking on a more multiplayer stage and not with just friends :D
Although I still feel like there should still be a decline button for players that want to play legitimately to deny any items from other players that have spawned them in.

tefery03

@LustrousWolf I agree your mod is fantastic but i wait further development to get it. Yeah a confirmation button may be good but try to think about Whitelist/Blacklist an option to choose only whitelist accepted and don't confirm for whitelist.

stigma

This seems like a really great idea. It would be cool if it was a little more "integrated" into the game though - like organizing caravans, deciding what is worth bringing along, training animals with "haul" to bring more ect.  - and then those caravans basically just act as any normal NPC caravan when they reach other players.

Even though you have to account for a lot of possible scenarios with other players not always being online, I think this could definitely add a lot to the game. Instead of randomly generating worlds you could select existing world shared by others to come play make new colonies on and trade with them - it would certainly help flesh out the faction-system in the game and make the part of the game much more engaging (and potentially profitable).

-Stigma

Nanao-kun

LustrousWolf, another reason why you'd want to be able to decline items is if they send you a massive amount of valuable stuff that you can't actually use, dramatically increasing your colony wealth and increasing the size of the raids to something you won't survive.

mrofa

QuoteSending colonists is the next feature I'd like to implement, but I will first try to improve error logging and the stability of the server.

Well this be very tricky or mostly mundane long task of rewriting vanilia classes due tha faction system.
All i do is clutter all around.

Jaxxa

QuoteSending colonists is the next feature I'd like to implement, but I will first try to improve error logging and the stability of the server.

If you think it could help feel free to look over the code for the Stargate Mod. It has Saving / Loading colonists to a File.
https://github.com/jaxxa/ED-Stargate