Started by kaptain_kavern, July 24, 2016, 04:56:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Do you want/need an A17 version?

Yes
No

Warforyou

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 26, 2016, 04:37:06 PM
what? that's weird.
In the code Sedate is set to be an easy surgery (<RecipeDef ParentName="SurgeryEasy">)
And an easy surgery is set like that :

<RecipeDef Name="SurgeryEasy" ParentName="SurgeryFlesh" Abstract="True">
  <surgeonSurgerySuccessChanceExponent>1</surgeonSurgerySuccessChanceExponent>
  <roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent>2</roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent>
  <surgerySuccessChanceFactor>0.95</surgerySuccessChanceFactor>
  <deathOnFailedSurgeryChance>0.01</deathOnFailedSurgeryChance>
  <workAmount>2000</workAmount>
  <recipeUsers>
    <li>Human</li>
  </recipeUsers>
  <skillRequirements>
    <li>
      <skill>Medicine</skill>
      <minLevel>5</minLevel>
    </li>
  </skillRequirements>
  </RecipeDef>

So as you can read in the code the base chance of success should be of 95%. Also the room stats (cleanliness, brightness, etc) and obviously the skill of the surgeon should matter. In fact on my play i never saw it missed at all. Did you use any other medical mods ? (maybe there is some odd interaction with another mod)

Well, the room IS dirty, I think, but I had over ten tries, is it really THAT important for an easy surgery? I am using EPOE and LT's A Dog Said any other mods may just add various medicine variants, the quality of ones I was using was 75% medical blend (normal medicine is 85% I think) and herbal medicine

JesusKreist

Yes it is important if the room which is used for the surgery is clean.
Think of it that way, in a dirty room you get infectious material into a wound or the blood bag you use for transfusion has a leak or whatever.

Plus keep in mind what chances are.
A 95% chance DOES mean you CAN fail 10, 20 or even 30 times in a row. It is very unlikely but possible.

kaptain_kavern

What i'm pretty sure is that lighted room or not effect greatly the chance of success. From my test dirt effect but less.

So yeah you're right JesusKreist, but that is not the effect i had in mind for this particular surgery. It should be the most easy of them in fact : it should just represent a normal everyday injection.

You may know or not, that all the code isn't mine, i updated it from A13 and i barely touch the easy surgeries. But i start to think that those values are not balanced enough. I think for this easy one the  <roomSurgerySuccessChanceFactorExponent> shouldn't be so high.

But when i tested it i never saw anyone failed on this one ...

kaptain_kavern

confirmed

crap i will need to change this value like now. Also i was in the process of adding ingame the cost of each recipe, for more clarity. So i guess it will be my second point in the changelog ^^

Thx for reporting and discussed it with me. Sorry for the inconvenience but i'mma throw an emergency update like nooooooooooooow :p

Pfiou ! I'm already gone

Warforyou

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 26, 2016, 05:27:46 PM
confirmed

crap i will need to change this value like now. Also i was in the process of adding ingame the cost of each recipe, for more clarity. So i guess it will be my second point in the changelog ^^

Thx for reporting and discussed it with me. Sorry for the inconvenience but i'mma throw an emergency update like nooooooooooooow :p

Pfiou ! I'm already gone
Just tried it now with completely clean and lit room with my doctor at 18 medicine skill, still he had no success

JesusKreist

95% means out of 100 tries 5 times it fails.
Even with a 20 medicine guy, a completely lit and clean big room, glitterworld medicine and positive mood there is no guarantee a sugery will always go according to plan.
Similarly a 20 crafting guy wont churn out masterwork clothes on each and every job.
Sometimes all that is left is just plain bad luck.

Warforyou

Quote from: JesusKreist on July 26, 2016, 06:19:29 PM
95% means out of 100 tries 5 times it fails.
Even with a 20 medicine guy, a completely lit and clean big room, glitterworld medicine and positive mood there is no guarantee a sugery will always go according to plan.
Similarly a 20 crafting guy wont churn out masterwork clothes on each and every job.
Sometimes all that is left is just plain bad luck.

Creating a masterpiece is much less possible than just injecting some simple meds, and it is sure not 95% success rate. After some heavy investigations it is more like 95% fail rate, which is quite sad. I may as well just let them lie on their own and save medicine, cause not only medicine is wasted, but also they get different injuries on surgery fail. And they hate the guy that botched their surgery...

kaptain_kavern

I understand your maths @JesusKreist (god that sentence ^^) and i get that with some bad luck you can fail multiple time in row. But this one as to be a success 95%/99% of the time by design, i mean it's just a matter of doing an injection to an immobile lying person :p

@Warforyou yup or if you want to, try with another colonist because there is 10 surgeries set to those values (Curing Burn, Crush, Crack, Cut, Surgical cut, Scratch, Bite, Stab, Gunshot, Shredded, Bruise and Frostbite). Did you notice the same ratio of failure/success for them ?

I am testing all that actually too

Ykara

Ohh nice, I really like the option to sedate your colonists, why haven't I thought of this? ^^

kaptain_kavern

Quote from: Ykara on July 26, 2016, 08:20:36 PM
Ohh nice, I really like the option to sedate your colonists, why haven't I thought of this? ^^
Hey nice having the compliment from you. As you may read above it is needing a bit of balancing. And I have yet to add research locking steps (but balanced to be available soon n game time, to be available sooner than EPOE mid range tech)

Also I read on EPOE thread that someone asking about Sternum. I've added Sternum treatment in DESurgeries. So you know ;-)

kaptain_kavern

I'm in the process of testing changes after the last event/discovery (chance of success was not balanced)

Found the perfect candidate for testing medical mods :p

Sarelth

You should make clones of him and then have your super doc get to work.

I have not had any failed attempts for sedation. Though I did somehow cut a guys ear while repairing his leg....

I am enjoying the mod lots.

kaptain_kavern

- NEW UPDATE -

• Changed the value of <surgeonsurgerysuccess> and <roomSurgerySuccess> : The more the surgery difficulty increase, the more the Quality/Cleanliness of the hospital bed/room and the Medicine skill impact the chance of success
  • Add <successfullyRemovedHediffMessage> for each recipe where it was applicable (in game message up screen about successful treatment)
  • Add mention about surgeries cost in each recipes <label>

==> Download Version 1.1.1 on Github (Click on DESurgeries.zip) <==

This release is dedicated to Robert Liston : The famous surgeon who performed the "only operation in history with a 300 percent mortality"

tideas

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: tideas on July 30, 2016, 10:48:11 AM
should this mod go before or after EPOE?

I don't think it should matter. Think I've had it both ways with no issues. At least none I have noticed.