Spring break has been extended indefinitely.

Started by Dryerlint, July 24, 2016, 06:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dryerlint

Spring break on Jabbah has been extended indefinitely. According to the other survivors of the crash, shortly after takeoff there was a catastrophic failure in the engine which essentially banana-peeled the ship up to the cargo holds in the middle. After the subsequent loss of thrust the pilot issued the order to abandon ship, The time to get from the cryosleep bed in which I was already asleep to the escape pods was approximately 90 seconds. The ship was in free fall for approximately 60 seconds. I don't remember moving from my cryosleep bed to the escape pod. I don't know why I'm alive. Neither do any of the other survivors.

Let's call this, "Day 1."

Here's what we've got:
- Survival meals from the pods, approximately 1 year's worth.
- Medicine.
- Survival rifles.
- The scrap from the pods.
- The components from the pods.
- I don't know why I'm saying "from the pods" everything is from the fucking pods.
- 1 bottle of wine that Mia was drinking on takeoff. She probably thinks drinking wine while leaving a planet is "romantic."
- 1 piece of bread, also Mia's. Looks like whole wheat.

Raincoat.

Dryerlint

End of Day 1

We took a few minutes to mourn the probably dead thousands of vacationers from the Arugula. Then, we started getting to work building a shelter. We had a fell a bunch of dumb oak trees. I guess it's a good thing that this world has been seeded with species of plant and animal from Earth. As far as getting stranded lightyears from the nearest port goes we did get pretty lucky. We've planned out a rice field (typical) and a bean field for a more long run sustainence solution. Jane says together they form something called a complete something something something. She's a good med student and claims to be a crack shot. I'd like to see her put that rifle to good use. Fresh turkey would be nice. These survival meals sucks.

I want to go home. At least I don't have to spend the night outside. Shelter's pretty decent.

End of Day 2

The days on this planet are incredibly long, but the year length is similar to that as experienced on more terrestrial worlds. A day here is about the length of a week on Earth, which is why we're able to get so much done in a single day.

We began construction on a more permanent housing complex, or compound. Not sure what the difference is. Don't have a dictionary. The bedrooms are mostly done. Hopefully we'll be able to plant the fields by the end of tomorrow. Still miss my home.

End of Day 3

I probably lied about the time it'll take to complete our private rooms. Probably another day at least. Probably. We were visited by a couple of mostly Spanish speaking primative types named Canto and Colmea. I was able to get that they're from a tribe called "Comareiro Meninyo." Kind of wonder how they got here. They didn't seem interested in trading, just wanted to visit so we gave them dry place to sleep and I think they understood our hospitable intentions. They think the rations are gross too.

If you find this journal and we're all dead, I guess they were cannibals. Good luck. Seriously.

Day 4, Morning

Woke up and hadn't been eaten by cannibals. Wooo. We decided to name this place the Town on Blue Pond, after the pond next to the house, which we've named Blue Pond. We're really sophisticated. I'll make another entry after we finish the house and get the farm planted.

Day 4 cont.

A big fucking hunk of spaceship just came out of the sky and landed next to the pond. Pretty cool on any day that you don't need a spaceship to get you off a forgotten shithole backwater nothing planet.

Day 5

A half naked Slav ran out of the woods today wielding a club. After calming down he said his name is Viktor. After not very much deliberation we decided to let him join the town. Viktor seems to know a little bit about everything, says he used to have his own ship but I don't believe him. It'll be good to have someone else around who can pull their weight. He doesn't talk much.

That Homeless Guy

I kinda like the way this is narrated already.

Dryerlint

Day 6

Had a little trouble today. The colony was attacked by a madman, who happens to be named Max. He claims to be a sheriff in The Cutters gang. He also probably didn't expect to run into a bunch of people with guns. Either we're geniuses and nobody else on this rock remembers how to use a fucking firearms or we got really damn lucky with our escape pods.

As far as I can remember there were no pirates on this planet before we were stranded here which means 2 things. A, there are a lot of survivors. B, some of them have gone bad. We're holding him until we can figure out what to do with him. This calls into all kind of questions of morality I'm sure.

Day 8

These days are definitely long. Our first crop of rice is ready. I shouldn't complain because we'd already burned through all the emergency rations. A group of traveler's from Fisherman's Village came by for a chat. They must be at the lake to the north west. I wish I had a map.

It's rice porridge and whatever we can scrounge up until we can figure out something more permanent and tasty. I'm going to try and figure out some stonecutting tools so we can build a more fireproof house. It's actually more like a manor at this point. Hell, we've even got a jail.

SURU

It's great. I'm only afraid about people like me which will be writing comments here and this story will be scratched into parts. Maybe you can put it somewhere and give us link? And can i ask for Morning/End of every day? It's so good. Love reading this story.
CraPC: AMD Phenom X3 8750 | Club 3D Radeon 7770 | Gigabyte GA-MA770-DS3 | 4GB RAM DDR2 2x2GB Kingston
Don't go this way!

Dryerlint

If this gets past a page I'll just start keeping links to each entry in the OP.

Day 10

Another fine rainy spring day on frigid wet hell not that I care. I spent all day inside working on new tools. Viktor said he could get us some wind power running with some of the components off our poor downed ship's hull. I thought the hulking mass added something 'je ne sais quois' to Blue Pond but the prospect of having electricity is just too good to pass up. He took Kimiko with him to do the salvaging. Those two have been spending a lot of time together recently. I wonder if he actually talks to her. I wonder if we'll ever find him a shirt.

We were also visited by a trade caravan called "Toxo of Frog." I guess people just can't stop memeing, even out here on the outskirts of galactic human civilization.

Day 10, later

Viktor forgot that trees stop wind, so we spent several hours clearing a path for the wind.

Day 12

I built an air conditioned hut to contain the batteries used to suck up the extra juice when the wind's blowing. I figure this is the first battery hut on Jabbah.

:>

BlueWinds

Just stopping by to say that I too enjoy your narration. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, well, I hope you enjoy having your idea taken into my thread and run with. :)

Dryerlint

Day 13

We expanded the kitchen out to include a new prep table where we can turn our beans into precious protein rich white globs a.k.a. tofu. What did you think I meant? Was it semen? It was semen. That's the joke I was making. Nobody's going to read this crap anyway. I'm like a modern day Mark Wattney.

The first thing I made was a delicious tofu mushroom and of course rice stir fry. It reminded me of MOM'S SPAGHETTI. I'm getting tired and my arms are getting heavy. Can't stop memeing won't stop memeing. Okay I'm done.

Day 14

It's probably around midnight. A particularly strong solar flare seems to have zapped our electronics. My room is cold and I am not happy.

Day 15

So there I was, engineering us up some automatic doors so we can carry shit around more esier and BOOM I hear fighting from the next room. Something Viktor said really set Shizuka off because she attacked him. They beat each other up pretty badly. Our healroot isn't due to riped in at least a few weeks so treating them is probably going to put a dent in a medical supplies.

I mean shit, they did more damage to us then that guy sitting in the jail cell. At least he just sits there and eats food like a good boy.

1st of Summer, 5500

No longer shall we live in the poverty of darkness. Let there be light!

In other news, the Jensen twins seem to be really happy about having an extensive ventilation system. Can't figure out why. Today marks the day in which the star is highest in the sky, meaning it is officially summer. I considered donning bathing trunks, running to the pond and yelling "It's finally summer!" before jumping in but I don't have swimming trunks. They blew up one season ago today. I guess this is the start of my extended summer vacation.

2nd of Summer, 5500

Some beraucrat named Samantha dropped out of the sky today. Her pod looked like one of the ones from our ship. I guess they engineered those things to keep people alive for probably tens of years. I wonder who might still be in orbit around Jabbah. I wonder how many of those pods have failed. Nope, don't want to think about it.

Dryerlint

4th of Summer, 5500

Looks like there's a bun in the oven. Literally, we built an oven and now we can make bread. There's also sugar and pumpkins growing in the back. Some time before thanksgiving we'll have pumpkin pie. This place is becoming a little bit too much like home, don't want to get comfortable, still miss home. The company is good though if you know what I mean. Heyooooo.

4th of Summer cont, 5500

I figured out this one neat trick that gardeners don't want you to know! You can massively improve the soil here with the this one neat trick that makes gardeners furious! Click here to find out how! You'll never believe your eyes!

But in all seriousness the crops ought to grow better now.

Cotton's ready. Gotta start making some decent clothes. A t-shirt just... ain't cutting it at 50 farenheit. Too bad the climate here isn't... tailored to human survival.

5th of Summer, 5500

I don't know what these dumb fuckers were thinking when they came down the valley with hostile intentions. Raiders don't come in peace. One of them got away so that's bad I guess. The one we killed didn't have much on him. I know it was justified, but I still don't feel right about killing. Maybe we should build a wall to keep the raiders out. They're not coming in peace, they're murderers. Some I assume are good people.

Not sure if I want to turn the empty bedrooms into workshops now that most of us are shacked up.

6th of Summer, 5500

Question: What sounds better than a woman in the kitchen?

Answer: A woman making clothes.

Sexism aside it's time for some fresh clothes!

6th of Summer, evening, 5500

After playing around with soil compositions for several days I think I've discovered a way to fill in some of the marshier stuff around Blue Pond. This should enable us to build out toward it further. Should also mean less squiters and malaria, if there's even malaria on Jabbah.

That Homeless Guy

Quote from: BlueWinds on July 25, 2016, 03:13:42 AM
Just stopping by to say that I too enjoy your narration. If imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, well, I hope you enjoy having your idea taken into my thread and run with. :)
Not necessarily his Idea  :P I used to do this for Fallout and other games. Though it's fair to say you have drawn inspiration from t. I'm even thinking of restarting my lone survivor world and doing this with it. I love this sort of story telling and it's what this game is made for. As a game dev I strive to achieve that level of self involvement and creativity that comes from the imagination of the player. Like a book if you tell a great story that stimulates the imagination instead of feeding all the details to the reader then you have something the reader will remember.

Dryerlint

Yeah, I'm not exactly original.

7th of Summer, 5500

I don't know what Jensen 1 and Viktor are thinking getting married. They've been with each other for all of about 1 season. Chill out. Whatever makes you happy I guess. Not gonna last though. I called it.

In other news, the lake is coming along well.

9th of Summer, 5500

We finished up our shore scaping project thing and started building a dedicated room for making better meds. Now I just have to figure out how to make better meds. It's so hard being the smartest person in a group.

Comareiro Meninyo Barro stopped by for a chat. It looks like they've found more survivors and have grown according. They've gone the hunter gatherer route. We gave them some stew and let them sleep in our kitchen. We might want to make guest house so our visitors have a better place to sleep.

I want to build a nice road between the manor and the fields so I spend less of my day tripping of roots and other crap. I should say, I want other people to build the road for me. I mean, I am a mathematician.

I think I'd like to stick it out with Kiriko.

11th of Summer, 5500

Kiriko accepted my marriage proposal. Time to oppress her with the patriarchal institution of marriage. Awwww yeah.

12th of Summer, 5500

Mmmm rice beer.

13th of Summer, 5500

I've gone ahead and drawn up a plan for some exploratory mines. The first purpose of this is to find more compacted machinery as we're running low on mechanical components. The second is the discovery of uranium ore. One of the things I studied before I got stranded on this rock was the small scale nuclear reactor. Getting one of those would give us the ability to provide megawatts of power for our town for years to come.

Toxo came by for a visit. They've also become hunter gatherers. We gave them some wine and told them to go grow some cotton and turn it into t-shirts like civilized people!

2nd of Fall.

Beautiful morning. Raiders though.

2nd of Fall, 5500

Mowed the raiders down easily. One of them thought he was hot shit with a few grenades. he never even got close enough to throw them. We captured the other raider. Says his name is Sebastian. Great name for a raider. We've gathered that he's a recruiter for the "Donkey Men." That makes our second prisoner. We can't feed these guys forever.

3rd of Fall, 5500

We've built a road through town, I guess this'll be good for defense and trade. Something something crumbling infrastructure. We should build some fortifications at either end of town in case the raiders get more feisty.

3rd of Fall (again), 5500

The Jensen twins' mother showed up today. Turns out Fisherman's village found her a few days ago and then her our way. She's going to stay with them though, probably some kind of 'giving your offspring' space thing. Biologically she's the same age as them, although they're all in their 400s chronologically. She's a good shot, that's for sure. We traded her and the other Fishermans some booze and meds. What's funny is that they're still eating survival meals from the ship.

We've got plenty of booze, food, and meds. I can see why people like to trade with us.

4th of Fall, 5500

I've never seen so many people working in the kitchen as when we got our first sweet rolls. Hope nobody steals mine.

4th of Fall evening, 5500

Mad Max tried to escape today so we beat the shit out of him with our rifles. Guy couldn't even walk back to prison. Can't say I feel sorry for him yet, he did try to murder us back in spring.

5th of Fall, 5500

I think I've actually figured out a brilliant solution to our prisoner problem that will also prevent them from ever hurting our town or any of the other peaceful towns other again, as well as send a message to other would be ne'er do wells. We're going to surgically remove their eyes and then send them back to their little raider camps. The surgery will of course be performed with anesthesia, we're not barbarians (unlike them). Although, we really shouldn't waste good meds. Herbals will have to suffice. They will probably experience immense pain after the surgeries.

5th of Fall, afternoon

We celebrated Kimiko and Viktor's marriage. Neither of them really talk much so I guess it actually is a match made in heaven or whatever. We all used it as an excuse to take the rest of the day off and get drunk. I guess that's what parties are all about though. I do miss real wine though.

6th of Fall

We released Mad Max early this morning. Good luck finding your way home, fucker.

Collins was released a couple hours later.

7th of Fall

I've stopped writing the year next to every journal entry. It seems a bit redundant.

While mining, Kiriko found a steel wall in the hill to the south east. I wonder how it got there.

Me and Kiriko also had a marriage ceremony today. I never thought I'd get an actual waifu but here I man, the luckiest gaijin alive.

8th of Fall

It's like Japanese people just fall from the fucking sky on this planet.

In all seriousness it looks like another escape pod's orbit degraded right into our back yard! It contained Yuna Santos, a salaried low skill worker from some Urb world. Probably a cleaner on the ship. I treated her wounds and she left (with a little food) to look for her friends. She's got a good chance of finding them, if they're alive and as long as she stays clear of the raider towns.

8th of Fall

A crate of beer just fell out of the sky, pretty sure that wasn't with the ship when she went down.

9th of Fall

A bunch of alphabeavers appeared in the upper valley. We spent most of the day hunting them into extinction.

11th of Fall.

4 of us have come down with gutworms. I blame the alphabeaver meat.

14th of Fall

Finished the whole goddamn exploratory mine and not a single speck of uranium. Did get to finish the flop house for our pests I mean guests, and added lighting to the general area of the town. Kind of nice not to trip over shit.

Dryerlint

1st of Winter, 5501

Seems as if we've gone back in time, boomrat went crazy and ran at us, gnawing and biting. Had to shoot it from a distance. Thing was like a fucking suicide bomber. We put out the fires pretty quickly though and nothing got damaged.

2nd of Winter

The whole forest is on fire. It's fucking beautiful. I got drunk and watched it burn from the safety of a hill. Rain put the fire out just as it started licking the entrance to our cave. Innuendo nintendo.

8th of Winter

Another dumb fucking animal went rabid, and bit Kimiko.

13th of Winter

I've set up a shortwave with some other survivors of the crash. They're pretty funny. I've enclosed a small log of what we've been saying below. One of them seems to be starving to death and doesn't really mind.

14th of Winter

Went ahead and took apart some more ship pieces today. Really needed those components.

15th of Winter

Rescued Fiolina Germi, a glitterworld empath and probable future councilor from numerous injuries. Another pod survivor. I guess a few are still up there with their orbits decaying.

We've started consturction on a big trading warehouse. Seems our neck of the galaxy has been noticed by a couple of traders. Wouldn't trust 'em not to kidnap me and sell me to the highest bidder. Think building my own ship my be my best bet for getting off this rock free and alive.

Dryerlint

1st of Spring, 5501

It's been a whole fucking year since we got here. We've built something out of nothing and I'm proud of that. We're pretty safe as far as I can tell; the raiders are dumb and squirrel bites heal with time. Kind of starting to wonder why nobody's sent a rescue ship after us. Maybe I don't want to know. Gods I hope nothing bad's happened back home.

3rd of Spring

Oh gods I love coffee. coffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffeecoffee

3rd of Spring, cont

Looks like a motherfucking raid coming down the valley. Should have built the defenses. Shit.

3rd of Sprint, cont.

I really wonder what it's like to have a bunch of idiot survivors stand behind sandbags that you built and murder your dudes. I don't know, but someone out there does now.

4th of Spring

Logging in one male prisoner, name of Jude Blair. Garbage name for a man. No wonder this idiot turned out evil. Caveworlders are all scum anyway. Jude has very little in the way of skills so recruitment is not an option. We shall administer the usual punishment.

We have taken it upon ourselves to learn as much as we can from the bodies of our enemies. Their cadavers make excellent medical training instruments.

6th of Spring

We brought a couple of wolves named Nada and Paws. They should make excellent companions. I think now that our prisoner has become acclimated to his new blindness it's time to let him go. Debating whether I should use him as training material for Nada and Paws. Nah, too vicious.

You know what takes the taste of cruelty out of MY mouth??? Fresh yogurt!!!

10th of Spring.

I'm starting to come to grips with the reality that we will probably be here for years. Nobody is coming to save us. Something has happened to our homeworld.

11th of Spring

WE GOT A MOTHER FUCKIN TV FROM OUTER SPAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACE

15th of Spring

I guess we've come quite a long way, because we've now got the ability to produce our own small arms and mortars. Probably going to set up the mortars on the other side of the pond. Will probably produce some better long range snipery type rifles and then dig ourselves into the hillsides. A proper communist defense if you ask me.

Dryerlint

1st of Summer, 5501

My brilliantly designed fortified bunker is complete! Mwahahahaha! Nobody can raid us (from the North) now!

2nd of Summer

Plasteel, from long growing plasteel leaves. Beautiful and useful.

3rd of Summer

The optics on this sniper rifle are fucking sweet.

4th of Summer

See that expensive looking thing with all the "spectrometers" and "computation units." That's my fucking multi analyzer. Don't touch it.

5th of Summer

I'm thinking I can fangle up some kind of new fangled 3d printer to solve our nearly constant component shortages.

5th of Summer, cont

Sometimes life drops a literal person into your life. Bleeding and scared after a long cryosleep in a small pod. Might see if this one wants to join, assuming she can pull her weight.

7th of Summer

"Elena" is a lazy botanist. She is free to leave. I wonder if we're actually going to get 26 chickens out of these 26 eggs?

7th of Summer, cont

My cute little minions. Some day I shall devour your reproductive products and your tasty, tasty flesh.

9th of Summer

Managed to build ourselves a big fucking industrial cool. Thing is overdesigned to hell and efficient as fuck. The whole manor is cool as a cucumber.

10th of Summer

The air conditioning is out. The lights are you. The sky is on fire. This planet has a garbage magnetosphere. No wonder life didn't develop here on its own. Going back to sleep.

11th of Summer

It makes me feel good to see guests enjoying our little hotel. I don't mention anything when we're visited by outsider because it happens pretty much every day. It's probably just for the free rice beer. If they ever turn on us we'll surgically remove their eyeballs out and sell them on the open market.

13th of Summer

See that thing by the battery house? That is my circuit breaker. It breaks circuits.

14th of Summer

We still haven't seen hide nor hare of Uranium ore, so I drew this up. I call it, "get Uranium or die trying."

15th of Summer

We're gonna build the wall and we're gonna make the raiders pay for it!

Fluffe

Be careful with chickens there like rimworlds version of dwarf fortress cats lol just look at this poor fellow at the gargoyle clan who underestimated the power of the chickens http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/490148994128704927/58F7347728BB5D6F9906A92DC3798F9426E3CE0F/