Prepare Carefully integration

Started by Venatos, July 25, 2016, 03:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Venatos

since EdB is stopping developement for the Prepare Carefully Mod, PLEASE! integrate it into the maingame! i realy have trouble careing about random pawns. i need my personal specific guys/gals that i can care.
it is sooo timeconsumeing to get a female, black long hair, chemical interest, fast walker, arty, sharpshooty, crafty pawn that is a sister of another via random!!
*someone please kill me NOW*

CannibarRechter

I'd be happy if there were sufficient commands in the XML to allow us to define our scenarios specifically in modded scenario.xml files. The GUI that prepare carefully offers isn't strictly necessary.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Mendel

I think you shouldn´t be able to prepare carefully for an accidental crash landing.

Also, if you always use same kind of characters, you miss out on 99% of possible stories that would emerge from random. You just dont get that nudist nightfly scientist who loves to research at night but hates the dark. and likes to go shooting naked during the night even if it is cold as long as you have lamps all over the place :D

AHappyMuffalo

Removes the survival feel, but understandable for people who just want to sit back. I often see colonists that have the best skills I could ever ask for but then they're ridden with chronic diseases and can barely walk.

notfood

It's a single player game. Being able to have a say how we desire to play it is a big plus. Some people want to customize their starter characters, that's fine. As for me, I like to start with the same characters over and over because I desire for my Rimworld experience to be about their story.

Lore wise, you aren't even crash landing, those are escape pods, your starters land unscathed with resources to spare.

Try the mod crash landing with hard enabled, starters keep dying from the first impact, you must be lucky to survive. You also start with 0 resources and hope the heaven is kind with your few survivors. In my opinion, that's the real crash landing scenario.

Venatos

point is, the game should let me play my story. my characters have backgrounds and relations to each other. this stuff is important for me to relate. i still get the random somewhat interresting character that joins, but if i cant relate to the coregroup im not interrested in a 10+hour comitment.

Mendel

I can see that this should definitely continue to be an option in the game but I´m not sure it should be integrated.

The main problem wrt integrating the mod to the main game is that it would need to be redone for every version of the game...
I think the optimal solution would be for another modder/group of people to claim the mod for him/them and continue the development.

Venatos

you have it kinda backwards there, when A13 hit, it took EdB 3? month to get it working, now with A14 he is throwing in the towel. as a modder you dont have acces to the core-code which makes this extremly difficult. someone with core access has a much more reasonable time implementing and maintaining it.
granted it would be an additional feature tynan has to maintain over future releases, but it fits realy well with rimworld, especially now with the scenario editor.

because whats the point in making a fallout-esque scenario, downloading mods with falloutguns etc. and then not be able to create your fallout characters. there is no point, no one would watch a star trek series with only redshirts.

JLBShecky

In my own personal opinion, Prepare Carefully should be part of the base game. As Venatos mentions, I feel that it complements the scenario editor. I must say that adding starting items is slightly easier with Prepare Carefully than it is with just the scenario editor, as trying to find a specific item in the popout list is a little difficult, and even the Prepare Carefully UI leaves allot of information out.

I envision a Prepare Carefully scenario being used by a scenario creator to set up something like a young couple elopes together because of their families not approving of their relationship. The couple arrive on the planet, already with a relationship between them there in place. It could be that I am missing a scenario component that allows one to do this as is, but as far as I know the only ways to do this currently is Prepare carefully, and manual save game editing.

Another way that it could also work, is that a scenario creator add a component that would give the player a point budget that they have to use. The scenario would say you have X number of people, and Y number of points to spend on goods and skills, much like how Prepare Carefully did in the past, but it could be but it would work on a per scenario basis instead of having a fixed amount of starting points.

But hey, maybe I just enjoyed preparation part of Dwarf Fortress a little to much.

b0rsuk

How do you prepare carefully for a crash ?

notfood

You pick the people traveling with you. You embark on a ship. You crash. They aren't strangers, even if some die.

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: b0rsuk on July 25, 2016, 04:43:15 PM
How do you prepare carefully for a crash ?

The same way you decide to be a billionaire that's landing in the middle of nowhere with his riches just to set up his summer home.

Having scenarios being an ingame system and not allowing colonist customization is silly and makes it look more like an incomplete feature than anything. Besides, it's MY story, who said it had to be a crash landing?

Lakuna

Maybe it could be added to the "rich adventurer" scenario and as an option for custom scenarios (I.e. "Allow prepare carefully? [Yes/No])

winddbourne

Quote from: AHappyMuffalo on July 25, 2016, 11:19:32 AM
Removes the survival feel, but understandable for people who just want to sit back. I often see colonists that have the best skills I could ever ask for but then they're ridden with chronic diseases and can barely walk.

The problem here is that we aren't crash landing, that is just one scenario ... and for a scenario certain options can/should be disabled. However my rich explorer should be someone who I'm really attached to. Similarly my primitive tribe should be people who actually represent the "tribe" I'm trying to rebuild . . . not just random characters. Perhaps a point value system should be used for balance but . . . being able to custom place friends, family, or whoever into the game is pretty much needed.

PS - If the "crash landing" scenario is getting in the way of development . . . and a lot of people can't seem to get beyond it . . . then maybe it needs to be removed and replaced with a third scenario that fits in better with the other two? It's really the odd duck right now.

b0rsuk

If that's so make it a part of scenario system and keep it away from the core game.