Prepare Carefully integration

Started by Venatos, July 25, 2016, 03:08:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

keylocke

yea.. the old logic of "how do you prepare for a crash?" is no longer applicable ever since the inclusion of the scenario editor.

as for the core game vs prep carefully..

core game for colonist creation is essentially just the "randomize" button. which is NEVER removed by prep carefully.

a person who does not wish to use the features of prep carefully can simply ignore those features and just press the randomize button how many times they want to, like they do in vanilla..

i don't get why people who don't want new features, need to complain about the additional features especially if it doesn't impact their gameplay when ignored.

it's like they're just saying.. "i don't want it and therefore you can't have it. even if what you want doesn't affect me whatsoever. i just don't want you to enjoy something that i hate"

Venatos

its definately a scenario editor feature, as such i think its pointless to make it the only part of the editor that has "points-restrictions".
if i can start my scenario tribe with full bionics and all research + 2mil gold and then prevent me from making em all sanguine pacifist master artists.(only turrets and traps for defence of their gold statues)

SpaceDorf

Yep. The Name of the scenario is also easy.

Settlers

They actually arrived where they wanted to go :)
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

CannibarRechter

> If that's so make it a part of scenario system and keep it away from the core game.

I agree with this. Basically, we just need sufficient XML configuration options to do what prepare carefully does: set skills, set passions, clear/set injuries; add medical parts; select background; set gender/age; etc. There's no good reason to have a GUI for this, whereas there's always good reason to have more modding capability down in the XML.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: CannibarRechter on July 26, 2016, 09:16:59 AM
> If that's so make it a part of scenario system and keep it away from the core game.

I agree with this. Basically, we just need sufficient XML configuration options to do what prepare carefully does: set skills, set passions, clear/set injuries; add medical parts; select background; set gender/age; etc. There's no good reason to have a GUI for this, whereas there's always good reason to have more modding capability down in the XML.

..What would be the point of adding the ability of colonist customization for scenarios, something that's meant to be easily modified and even pushed to the workshop for others to use, but proceeding to hide it from easy-access?

I really don't understand the push AGAINST further customization. The logic of 'it doesn't fit the core game!' immediately went out the window the moment Tynan added the scenario system in the first place. I shouldn't have to use limited scenario restrictions and spamming the 'randomize' button to get an ideal skill set for a colony start that isn't complete ass.

winddbourne

I'm not sure I actually understand what some of these people consider the core game. We have a colony simulator. No matter how you cut it being able to pick your colonists, and being able to boot out trouble makers seems pretty darn "core".

Sure it doesn't fit well with the crash landing scenario . . . but that scenario doesn't fit well with the rest of the game anymore.  Right now leaving it in the game simply confuses people.

If you crash land on a planet your goal is to survive however you can and make your way off planet and onward to your destination. If you are a colonist then your goal is to found a successful colony ON the planet and leaving is at best "Losing with Dignity".

The rich explorer is here by choice. He obviously has an exploration ship in orbit and could leave at any time. If he prospers, however, he can recruit new colonists and found his own settlement. He might even barter with passing ships so they come back with a bunch of people to join him. He's certainly got the money for it.

Meanwhile the Tribe is native to the planet. They want to rebuild. Their goal isn't to leave. It is to become strong enough to fight off the death machines from the sky. Leaving in a ship and fleeing to some other, safer, world would be a total loss for them. Plus it's hard to really imagine them going from the stone age to building a space ship anyway. lol

That said depending on whether you consider this a "crash landing simulator" or a "colony simulator" you are going to expect the game's development to go in entirely different directions.

If the end game is to having a safe, prosperous, self sustaining, colony then you expect to be able to eventually defeat the environmental dangers and start building nicer stuff. You are managing a colony with complex relationships and seeing how big you can grow, how prosperous you can be.

Likewise if the game's end goal is to escape this horrible planet then you expect ever mounting levels of danger until you either get away, or die trying. You don't expect to ever defeat the planet. If you could then leaving wouldn't be a real priority, and the end game would be boring after all the danger was gone.

The two "goals" contradict each other and I'm really afraid when I hear veteran players say something doesn't fit the "core game" that they really mean it doesn't fit into that oddball crash landing scenario. That is why I think it should be removed from the game to avoid confusion. It simply doesn't fit anymore.

Vagabond

I think I wrote a suggestion for this the other day. . .

At any rate, I agree, there is no reason why this shouldn't be in the base game, considering the other things that were given to us from mods were integrated into the base game with this version (Much of EdB's Work).

Like others have said, how does this not fit in with the game considering the inclusion of a scenario editor? It is the obvious next step or evolution. It will give more control over the start people want. Why is that bad? With this and the scenario editor, people can start however they wish. It has absolutely no negative effect on anyone, and nothing but a positive effect. Even those who wish a more hardcore or "classic" start can still have such, and even more so.

keylocke

i think i said this before in another similar thread, but the only reason i can think of why prep carefully isn't integrated is coz of the kickstarter backers who paid for custom characters, since adding prep carefully the way EDB made it would essentially be like letting players create their own custom characters for free.

----

as a compromise, instead of custom stats, i'd be content if tynan just adds the feature to customize how each character would look. (ie : change face shape, change skin color, change hair type, change hair color. but not body type, since it's connected to background traits) passions, traits (but not background traits, since background traits are part of the custom characters bought by some kickstarter backers)

^ i think those changes are doable since iirc, those things aren't included in the custom characters created by kickstarter backers. so these changes should not affect their purchase.

---

of course, the randomize button should still be there and should ALWAYS be there for people who prefers totally random.

Vagabond

Quote from: keylocke on July 27, 2016, 05:16:35 AM
i think i said this before in another similar thread, but the only reason i can think of why prep carefully isn't integrated is coz of the kickstarter backers who paid for custom characters, since adding prep carefully the way EDB made it would essentially be like letting players create their own custom characters for free.

----

as a compromise, instead of custom stats, i'd be content if tynan just adds the feature to customize how each character would look. (ie : change face shape, change skin color, change hair type, change hair color. but not body type, since it's connected to background traits) passions, traits (but not background traits, since background traits are part of the custom characters bought by some kickstarter backers)

^ i think those changes are doable since iirc, those things aren't included in the custom characters created by kickstarter backers. so these changes should not affect their purchase.

---

of course, the randomize button should still be there and should ALWAYS be there for people who prefers totally random.

I don't think the improvement of the game should be limited by the kickstarter. Besides, those custom characters can still be spawned in game with the integration of the prepare carefully. They are there natively, they spawn in the world without player intervention. That is reward enough, I think - they are still there, where as a character you make yourself will only spawn in that specific way if you create it during the 'prepare carefully' portion of the game. It won't show up any other time.

As far as I can tell, the traits, passions, equipment, appearance, age, and skills are all random when a backed character is spawned. The only thing that remains the same are the backgrounds and name. Furthermore, I'm pretty sure more than one of the same backed character can spawn in a single game, which is silly.

Finally. . . There is like zero quality control when it comes to backgrounds. In my opinion, there should be a built in editor to add new backgrounds/traits, as well as to remove backgrounds/traits (or at least keep them from being used). So many bad bad bad backgrounds - if such a tool were to be made, pretty please allow us to edit the ones already present as well!

Long story short: Don't punish us for the sake of the kickstarter. . . If this is the case.

Another thing: This sort of stuff would be cool for the workshop. Importing player made traits/backgrounds.

kpsychopath

I must say. if the PrepCare isnt inplemented into A15 and no one has picked up the mantle to port it over. i might just leave Rimworld entirely.

What i like about RimWorld is not sitting staring at a screen, hitting "randomize" 50 gazillion times. Its to take a crew that i put some effort into making sure they'd last atleast a week. And then to see how far i can take them, how good of a conlony i can make with the 3 preset characters and the ragtag bunch of other misfits that end up joining my Town.

Havan_IronOak

I've only been playing since alpha 8 so am still a newcomer compared to some of this game's supporters but I'm a big fan the prepare carefully mod.

It really becomes important when one wants to use some of the mods that make this game even tougher.

Scenarios sort of addresses some of the issues but not completely.

And before anyone else asks "How do you prepare carefully for a crash landing... that's only one of the scenarios that this game features.

Casazzo

Just to voice it:

I like playing a random colony on a random spot with random people. It adds to the flavor very much. Try it.

Sorin20031

It will be rly awesome because it will not brake that game like some think it will take from the random and give to the user! That's why i did my suggestion about my world pls check it out and say to me what do you think!

Goldenpotatoes

Quote from: Casazzo on July 29, 2016, 03:41:03 AM
Just to voice it:

I like playing a random colony on a random spot with random people. It adds to the flavor very much. Try it.

I've played since A8, so I know what its like playing with random colonists for multiple playthroughs. I just happen to enjoy inserting friends/enemies into their positions more because the stories produced by them suddenly become a lot more memorable.

kpsychopath

Quote from: Casazzo on July 29, 2016, 03:41:03 AM
Just to voice it:

Who says you cant do that? You can still do whatever you want babe. But what about us that DONT want to do that? Why should it be one or the other when both can work perfectly fine together.