Can someone please explain to me what I'm seeing here...

Started by Shian, July 25, 2016, 05:32:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shian

So, here's Brooklyn and every time he goes through the dining hall, he says it's cramped.
?!
The tooltip says it's spacious and if I click on Hudson who is in the exact same room, he says it's spacious.

Wut? Please help. Is this a strange bug of some sort? Why does one pawn say he is cramped in this room and another say he's fine.

Mechanoid Hivemind

The individual is obsolete. When you and your kind are extinct, we will cleanse our collective memory of the stain of your existence.

FatMan

Notice the Status indicators on the left.  In the screenshot of Brooklyn, you'll notice the "Space" indicator.  It essentially controls the Cramped and Spacious mood effects.  I notice a Green Arrow, showing that the feeling of space is growing, because the indicators change slowly, not rapidly.  What i see here is that Brooklyn must have come from a room that was cramped before passing through the dining hall.  He must have been quite cramped too in order for the feeling not to grow fast enough to remove the mood debuff. 

Also of note is that the entire space of a room affects the impressiveness of it, whereas the immediate area around a colonists affects what they feel for space.  This is just what I've notice through playing.  Can someone confirm this?

Shian

Quote from: FatMan on July 25, 2016, 06:03:55 PM
What i see here is that Brooklyn must have come from a room that was cramped before passing through the dining hall.  He must have been quite cramped too in order for the feeling not to grow fast enough to remove the mood debuff. 

No. When a pawn goes into a room, they get that debuff or w/e. When they exit the room, it immediately goes away which means it's the room they are in that they are getting the buff/debuff from. Check it with your own pawns and watch them move from room to room.

edit: think I've found the answer to my problem in another thread.

QuoteRoom size is not the only factor. A pawn standing in a corner will have a much lower "space bar" than a pawn standing in the middle of the room.
So, don't put doors in corners. ...ugh.

edit: Yeah, corners and walls are a big deal. I just watched one of my growers take off a "spacious interior" debuff as soon as she got to a wall. Put it back again when she left the wall. Repeat forever.

Really? Can someone please tell me why a large room isn't considered large if you're standing a corner? That just seems so unnecessarily picky and almost not worth building anything large at all since you can't have your pawns up against the wall for anything. Is everyone super claustrophobic or something?

FatMan

It doesn't immediately change.  Maybe with some mod you have it does, but in vanilla it makes smaller jumps.  Maybe I made it seem like it takes longer than it does, but it is not immediate.

Although thanks for finding some proof for my findings about it being the space nearby a pawn, not the entire room.

Dread Zep

why the hell would u put a heater in every room? you know what vents are dont you?

Shian

1. Vents are ugly.
2. Vents don't seem to work very well. If you try to use vents, the 4th room is too cold and the pawn gets a debuff.

Dread Zep

vents are ugly? um...ok.  they look alright to me. and i never experienced the issue u described.  i put all my heaters in the same room, and seems to work just fine

MeowRailroad

If your rooms are arranged in rows, connect them all with vents and put heaters in every 2 or 3 rooms.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Daman453

I love how this looks like a glitter world colony and he says he's cramped... i would be lucky to survive in such a nice place at least for a rimworld. 
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.