Your Latest Colony - What happened and how well does it fare now?

Started by ToXeye, July 26, 2016, 12:58:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ToXeye

In this thread, I would like to continue a tradition of telling how things go in the game. The best way of telling how the game progresses is to have a thread about it. Also tell what mods you use.

[A14] Planeton by ToXeye

I used the lighting mod. I managed to carve into the side of the mountain, research stone cutting soon, and had a humongous supply of steel right in the middle of the base. Pretty soon, the storyteller (which was Cassandra on rough or challenge, can't remember) decided to throw manhunter elephants at my otherwise capable colony. It was saved from the elephants by some friendly neighbours. The elephants managed to destroy all my four wind power generators before the neighbours saved me. After that there was very little steel left, and very few components, contradictory to the way I started out with lots and lots of components. Then came toxic fallout... I left the computer for dinner and didn't realize I had the slider on normal speed. After I was finished eating, there was bugs all over in my colony and all of my colonists were down.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=731926691
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

MeowRailroad

I made it through a hard winter with 3 colonists (I used to have 6, 3 got infections) and now the 2nd winter is starting, I have plenty of food and winter is about halfway done, and I have 6 colonists again. The mechanoids are starting to come, but my defenses can handle them. I've only gotten 1 charge lance injury each from both of the attacking scythers. It's my first good colony.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Thane

Set myself out with 50 some mods (my computer screams in agony) Get a group of tribals going.

My numbers skyrocket to six and food is plentiful.

Then a heatwave happens. Temperatures skyrocket to 50 degrees.

With no low-tech way to cool off, even with all those mods, they start dropping like flies.

Then a raid. 3 guys with heavy augmentation and high tech weapons.

The remaining 4 stand to the defense. One tribesman drops from heat. One raider is dropped. As I shift my defenses a Bowman drops from the heat, then my pila man drops from heat and the only man left standing has a spear. It does no damage and a rocket screams in killing him.

The raiders steal my jade knife and leave. If that's all they wanted I would have just let them have it...

Of course the heatwave ends immediately with all my best tribesmen dead.
It is regular practice to install peg legs and dentures on anyone you don't like around here. Think about that.

Pickleinthahouse

New perma-death colony. Made a kicking base and was in the middle of installing a freezer. fended off multiple raider attacks and started to stockpile weapons. went out to hunt deer, killed one and my shotgunner opened fire on another. the deer weren't nice deer and they slaughtered my rifleman and shotgunner and attacked the base. funny part is that since the freezer was under construction, there was a hole for them to get through. my base is now an empty shell and deer bedding ground.

Axis Sev

New player here; last night saw the end of, and I jest not, The Volcanic Winter With Toxic Fall Out And Eclipse and Solar Flare... with a raid or two... all I needed was an infestation, and I'd have packed it in.

Holy crap, wound up having to slaughter ALL of my farm animals and hit starvation for a few of my 8 colonists... :o

MeowRailroad

Thanks to MY volcanic winter, we barely had time to grow food and run out around halfway through fall, though before that the plague and injuries from a manhunter pack helped us get rid of our medicine stockpile. At some points, the whole colony EXCEPT for 1 person who couldn't doctor was down from berserker-related injuries, and we have 8 colonists. The way it's been going since we started to run out of food and had to resort to eating raw corpses, so every few minutes (usually after the last wave of injuries has just been taken care of) another colonist snaps, injures more people while the remainder struggle to survive, the breaking guy is better, he helps heal those injures, repeat ad nauseum. The ironic (I guess?) part of that is that if we could stop having to deal with all these injuries 24/7, we could actually try to fix the problems that cause the mental breakdowns.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

SundayTuesday

I was recording the first episode of a series and I let my hunter hunt rhinos and a pack murdered my starting colonists within the first 10 minutes of starting.
"When your kingdom is attacked, Do not flee.
Show them WHY it is your kingdom!"

ToXeye

Quote from: SundayTuesday on August 03, 2016, 07:48:00 AM
I was recording the first episode of a series and I let my hunter hunt rhinos and a pack murdered my starting colonists within the first 10 minutes of starting.

Animal cruelty! Oh wait.

I made a new colony using the EdB Prepare Carefully mod. It's good for standalone tweaking of starting skills and equipment. It's a bit better than using the dev mode, since dev mode makes it hard to stop "cheating" : - )

My latest colony is called Dannebrog, equipped with one charge rifle and one Molotov cocktail. Did you know that grenades make brawlers unhappy? They are treated as rifles.
Features everywhere!
e_  O:
/|   /|\

funnypete

Because so far I only tried to play the game with multiple pawns, this time I decided to play solo with a pschopathic bloodthirsty cannibal, "Psycho". All went well, I built a nice little creepy mountain base, had some turrets and an unproportionally huge freezer after some seasons. There was even enough food for my trusted pet warg, and later on I was even forced to leave the bodies of my enemies lying around in the fields, serving as a subtle hint for visitors.

Occasionally, Psycho would kidnap capable doctors to force them to implant new fancy bionic bodyparts, not without adding them to the food stockpile afterwards.

One day my warg ran into a triple rocket launcher guy and died. 2 days later my only pawn got the plague. I was thinking "game, send me a refugee or at least a slave caravan so I can buy a temporary doctor." But no luck this time and so Psycho died a lonely and painful death, surrounded by some years worth of food and all his other riches... The End. 

PermaDeath

got my colonie all setup , got the food working , enough resources,electricy etc.. .. planned the next expansion of the colonie..

when my farms got hit by some mysterious infect.. causing them all to rott ,

so well off to hunting some muffalos then !

turns out my hunter has  been to trigger happy on those muffalos...

they herd went berserk .. took out my hunter /best rifle man out in the fields..

when they where going for my mountain base.. i kept everybody save , till one muffalo broke the entrance to my living quarters
time to take them out in those tight corridors me thinks ! one by one..

well turns out the odds are stacked against you in a hand to hand combat with a muffalo in a tiny corridor..

and that was that..

StormySunrise

Living on a mountainous ice sheet (extreme) with Serendiz sadistic as the storyteller (Rimsenal storyteller) started with two colonists as a tribe. Researched stonecutting and used leftover wood from starting out to keep myself warm. Then I was raided by a group of 9 tribesmen but the bug hive close to my fort in the mountains eviscerated them. I then bought another pawn off of a slave caravan from the silver I mined to create the "warmroom" seasons pass and the walls were slowly crumbling due to the many raids that happened. The three pawns still sit behind a thick 13 layered wall with the first 4 layers crumbling. a day later a bug hive spawned in the bedroom and killed my pawns, however a circuit shorted and lit the entire fort ablaze. Now there is just a silent fort sitting in the mountains, covered in snow and to be forgotten.

Pickleinthahouse

start in boreal forest and begin to set up a small mountain encampment, just finished installing 6 batteries and 8 solar panels for starting power, "zzt" oh great, the solar panels are on fire and only 2 of my 4 colonists can fight it. colonists fail at stopping fire, all but 2 panels burn to the ground. pyromaniac colonist sees encroaching flames and decides that he wants to have fun too, "mental break: fire starting spree". starts small forest fire, oh man it's gonna burn down my camp and everything else, "rat self tamed" oh thank god, didn't know what i was gonna do there for a second... and then it begins to rain.

sure i wasted tons of steel and components, but i needed to dig out some areas anyways...

still in progress

skinicism

So, I started a new game of Cassandra Classic on Rough featuring

Kimitri the female paramedic, Darby the female psychiatric patient and

Goomba the female pyromaniac colony settler. I kid you not that it's the

hardest start I've ever had on extreme desert using no mods.

There was land that had low gravel fertility and I didn't have any

cannibals. I mean, I can deal with pyromaniacs and psychopaths on

virtually any biome. Hell! I could deal with a masochist! The difficulty, I

suspect, arises in phasing-in crops in batches rather than growing them in

mass as usual.