[MOD] (Alpha 2) Embrasures - Build heavy defenses, bunkers and pillboxes!

Started by Sunspots, February 28, 2014, 08:02:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sunspots

Embrasures

Description:
Embrasures is a mod that adds two new wall types (one for metal and one for stone). The walls have openings for colonists to shoot at their enemies, while not allowing any to pass through. Basically, they look like holes in the walls but they work more like like impassable sand bags (it looks like a hole in each block but the whole block is open to let through bullets).

Mod Team:
Download:
See attachments

Screens:
http://pasteboard.co/11ebuipO.png
http://pasteboard.co/11ddrj4h.png
http://pasteboard.co/11dfzGls.png

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Changelog:
Version 1.0.1: Changed the wall linking, some texture touch-ups.
Version 1.0: First release

There are some graphics issues if you put them together in other shapes than lengths and corners, but they have little use in such configurations anyway.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

AcDie

SleepyFox

Oh sweet! Mix it with the Browning and Bren from Project Armory and you'll have some scary defenses...
Streaming Games 24/7 @ InsomniacGamers.net

Camirex

This mod is really buggy for me. Whenever raiders attempt to attack my colonists behind these bunkers, the game will grind to a halt (1-2 fps) from an otherwise smooth 60+ fps. I think there might be something wrong with the pathing.

Sunspots

That doesn't sound good...  I'm not sure what would create those issues, I will have to try looking at it when I get home on Monday.

Camirex

Unfortunately, in regards to your PM, I've already uninstalled the mod/reverted my base changes but I can describe what is happening.

So basically, there is an entrance that looks like this (entrance is on the right) and my turrets are behind a wall of the embrasures on the left

_____________    ___
        xl              l   l
        xl              l   l
        xl              __l
         l
_____l_____________
   l  l              l  l

and my turrets are the ones marked as x's

That embrasure wall is completely closed off and is accessible only through a deep tunnel so in order for the raiders to attack the turrets inside, they either 1) shoot at it from far away or 2) try to get a direct vantage in attacking them.

This results in them attempting to cross over the "wall" which is somewhat buggy - they can't really do it and they'll be sliding through it and/or I believe they try to calculate the extremely long route to gain access to the tunnel behind the turrets shown.

Edit - here is a screenshot - http://puu.sh/7dQ7P.jpg

Imagine the sandbags and stone wall as the embrasure and it's basically like that.

Delta_Com

I just tried it out and I really like it. I feel like making some sort of D-Day style map... for the raiders. With Evuls weapons, I will have much fun forcing raiders to run past bunkers full of HMGs and Snipers.

Sunspots

Quote from: Camirex on February 28, 2014, 02:13:46 PM
Unfortunately, in regards to your PM, I've already uninstalled the mod/reverted my base changes but I can describe what is happening.

So basically, there is an entrance that looks like this (entrance is on the right) and my turrets are behind a wall of the embrasures on the left

_____________    ___
        xl              l   l
        xl              l   l
        xl              __l
         l
_____l_____________
   l  l              l  l

and my turrets are the ones marked as x's

That embrasure wall is completely closed off and is accessible only through a deep tunnel so in order for the raiders to attack the turrets inside, they either 1) shoot at it from far away or 2) try to get a direct vantage in attacking them.

This results in them attempting to cross over the "wall" which is somewhat buggy - they can't really do it and they'll be sliding through it and/or I believe they try to calculate the extremely long route to gain access to the tunnel behind the turrets shown.

Edit - here is a screenshot - http://puu.sh/7dQ7P.jpg

Imagine the sandbags and stone wall as the embrasure and it's basically like that.
It's not so strange that this type of thing happens, there has been no precedent for the AI to see an enemy but at the same time be unable to reach them. All other see-through objects are passable.

madpluck

Wow this is a great wall. I'm loving the additional functionality!

NephilimNexus

What worries me is that it may be overpowered.

Ideally using the firing-slits would not make the defender invulnerable, but simply a lot harder to hit (say, 50% penalty).  So any enemy with a sniper rifle might still be able to hit them, as would grenades.  You'd have the advantage, to be sure, but you wouldn't magically become invincible.

deadbeat88

Quote from: NephilimNexus on March 01, 2014, 01:01:49 AM

Ideally using the firing-slits would not make the defender invulnerable, but simply a lot harder to hit (say, 50% penalty).  So any enemy with a sniper rifle might still be able to hit them, as would grenades.  You'd have the advantage, to be sure, but you wouldn't magically become invincible.

I agree, pillboxes should work like a sandbag but without the vulnerability to explosion. I guess thats my only reason why I have open field so much.  :-\
Whatever you do, don't do it!

americany13

I downloaded, extracted it, and placed it in the mods folder and it wont show up in the structures tab

Rokiyo

Don't forget to open up the Mods menu when you start the game and enable the mod.

Sunspots

Quote from: NephilimNexus on March 01, 2014, 01:01:49 AM

Well that's exactly how they work. They are decently easy to shoot or throw grenades through. They work like sandbags but they provide a higher (currently much higher, we will have to do more field testing to decide) amount of cover, the engine takes care of it automatically.

americany13