Water System In Rimworld

Started by dStreamline, July 26, 2016, 05:26:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dStreamline

Idea: A water logistics system is added to the game, similar to the electricity system currently implemented in Rimworld,  but with a few things to consider.

Firstly: Water functions as a way to fight the negative effects of temperature, ie taking hot shower to warm up in the dead of winter, or taking an ice cold shower to stay cool in the middle of the summer. This kind of thing could also result in a positive mood bonus, in a similar way to other joy activities.

Second: There are positives as well as negatives to having a water system, for example, the system could occasionally get contaminated and spread disease to your colonists (plague, flu, etc), or there could be a pipe that ruptures, causing damage to things around it, short circuits electronics, etc.

Hopefully this is something doable and worthwhile to implement.  ;D
Hope is not a good plan...

MeowRailroad

Maybe the showers could be either a small stall the size of a battery or two, or it could be a more complex system with showerheads, pipes, drains, shower tiles, tile walls, etc. that you have to build. I guess that would be much harder to implement but better, however, having a room with just a place to store clothes and a shower stall would be simpler and work ok.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

Vagabond

A good suggestion that has been beaten to death. I agree one-hundred percent that the next logical step in the evolution of the simulation aspect of the game, would be a system for water as a need.

keylocke

the main gripe that others would say about adding more "tasks" such as drinking, bathing, shitting, pooping, taking care of kids, etc.. would be the time "wasted" by colonists in doing such things.

but in essence, it is essentially about time scales, a normal person in real life can do all of those things within 24 hours, each day of every week, and still have plenty of time for work, study, play, travel, explore, etc..

why? it's coz our speed of movement, speed of actions, etc.. allows us to do so.

^it's all about time scales. which is what needs to be tweaked when adding more tasks..

it's the same thing about raising kids from baby to adult. right now, the max speed of rimworld is still uber slow. heck if you play on max speed, it would still take a long while before an entire day ends. (watching pawns sleep for eight hours is like watching paint dry.. and you get to feel how slow the max speed is moving)

but if they increase the max speed of the game, then days would be like seconds, months would be like minutes, years would be hours... maybe even faster (i don't mind skipping frames)

gist is, adjusting the max speed would let a player grow a baby to an adult in just a day's worth of gameplay. it's like each day of the player's life, a new generation of their colony grows into adulthood.

------------

and yea, water.. all that stuff... is all about adjusting the task speed and movement speed of each action.

i think those things are doable and adds a lot more layer to the "story"..

it's like in DF when you watch the world map generate hundreds of years of story right in front of your eyes. new factions appear and gets wiped out. terrible catastrophes happen in the scale of hundreds of years. etc..

the accumulation of centuries worth of stories.. of how you started with a ragtag bunch of misfits and became a badass empire.. aww yiiss.

or you can just build a ship and travel elsewhere.. it's YOUR story.. it can be short and only involve a small group of people, or it can be an epic struggle that spans hundreds of generations of your people..

MuffaloDiver

The thing you have to ask yourself with a water system is... does it make the game more fun or more tedious

Complexity is nice, but what does it add to the experience?

The limb/organ system is great because of all the crazy things you can do with it to benefit you (harvesting for cash, fixing your more valuable colonists, crippling your enemies and returning them so the next raid has a weak link in their team)

Would you be able to do anything beneficial/interesting with a water system or is it just more tedious crap you have to micro-manage?

Vagabond

This genre is about tedium. Games are about challenge.

My take on it, is that it adds another layer of complexity, which in turns makes the strategic element of colony building more challenging. I find challenge to be interesting, so long as it makes sense. Water makes sense, while being hounded by dozens, hundreds, or thousands of "raiders" several times a year doesn't.

Water provides an additional basic need. Water provides options for hygiene. Water allows for more complex agriculture. The list goes on. . .

On the matter of timescale, I agree with Mister Keylocke, and I've said this many times in the past. Time Scale is one of the biggest deficiencies of this game, and the one of the greatest hindrances to the simulation of nearly all elements of the game.

Rather than regurgitate things I've been saying since like. . . Forever. . . Take a gander at this thread:

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=16559.0

In that thread, I go over timescales, using numbers broken down quite well (if I say so myself). One thing I dont cover, I think, is fast foward speeds. Because fast forward speeds could eliminate the need to skip months by allowing greater control over how fast we can fast foward.

Another thing I go over is tile size, and movement speed. Pawns should move much faster at the base speed, considering that each tile is a measly 3-5 square feet.

Ect. Ect.

skinicism

Due to the natural age gap between stated age and actual

age of each colonist you have to wonder whether they

were from colonies that even trained them to urinate/defecate

(since one has to assume that they've been frozen and become

dependent on implants to do everything for them- many of them

being devices that may allow them to extract moisture from blood

or from the air).

Vagabond

Quote from: skinicism on July 27, 2016, 11:40:36 PM
Due to the natural age gap between stated age and actual

age of each colonist you have to wonder whether they

were from colonies that even trained them to urinate/defecate

(since one has to assume that they've been frozen and become

dependent on implants to do everything for them- many of them

being devices that may allow them to extract moisture from blood

or from the air).

What. . .

Why would your society need to train you to urinate or defecate. . . It is a basic human function. IF somehow, they had an implant or what have you. . . It needs to be an actual implant (mechanically). Not all humans are from such high tech worlds.

Though I find it interesting, the idea of a technology that you could implant in your colonist to remove their need to shit or piss. How would that work?

b0rsuk

QuoteNo plans for this. It works in The Sims because sims have really no responsibilities besides taking care of their own needs, so they can spend all their time doing that. This supports having a ton of needs.

In RW colonists have a lot of work to do so the needs have to be a lot more lightweight.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/4tm6i1/i_am_tynan_sylvester_developer_of_rimworld_ama/

CannibarRechter

A water system could work, and it would be nice to have more resource gathering requirements for survival. I think sims could pick up water bottles the same time they grabbed food, combine drinking and eating at the table, and carry water bottles with them while working. They wouldn't have to stop and drink necessarily, the water bottles could just deplete under certain work or environmental conditions, and "dehydrated" could be a debuff condition. Wells and water purification systems would need to be built. Water could be pure or not pure, and disease could be a risk.

I like.
CR All Mods and Tools Download Link
CR Total Texture Overhaul : Gives RimWorld a Natural Feel
CR Moddable: make RimWorld more moddable.
CR CompFX: display dynamic effects over RimWorld objects

Lightzy

I think water doesn't necessarily have to be a need for the colonists.

But.
Would be cool if you could use water as part of other systems already in effect.
Fishing seems obvious.
Using water for cooling+mood buff on hot days

Regarding development priorities and vision for the game:

I think water as suggested above is a good addition to the game. So what if colonists have a lot of work to do? make the day a tiny bit longer and add another system. It's fine. That's what you've done so far.
Thing is, it's a natural addition to a planning/building/surviving sim. If that's the direction it's a good addition.
If the direction is "build tanks and conquer enemies" then yeah, it's not that brilliant.

samuk190

Quote from: Lightzy on July 29, 2016, 03:25:46 PM
I think water doesn't necessarily have to be a need for the colonists.

But.
Would be cool if you could use water as part of other systems already in effect.
Fishing seems obvious.
Using water for cooling+mood buff on hot days

Regarding development priorities and vision for the game:

I think water as suggested above is a good addition to the game. So what if colonists have a lot of work to do? make the day a tiny bit longer and add another system. It's fine. That's what you've done so far.
Thing is, it's a natural addition to a planning/building/surviving sim. If that's the direction it's a good addition.
If the direction is "build tanks and conquer enemies" then yeah, it's not that brilliant.

The dev mod of bad hygiene is doing water system, :D

BlackSmokeDMax

I'd rather see the bathroom/shower issues left as a mod.

I wouldn't hate having drinking as part of the game, but don't necessarily want it either.

I would love to see something like water wheels added though. Not over-powered, just enough to make rivers more than a landscape feature/obstacle to shoot across. Or like Lightzy said for cooling or joy in hot weather.