Re: "Temperature now equalizes chiefly through walls."

Started by Belgrath, July 25, 2016, 07:31:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Belgrath

I'm very upset about the death of one of my pawns, I started a new map with a lost tribe.

The normal temperature on the map is around 35ºc (95ºF). A heat wave hit, so I got my
pawns to hide in their mountain home thinking they would be safe.
But the temperature got to 54ºc(129.2ºF) outside and 51ºc(123.8ºF) inside.

I live in Australia and know what it takes to live in the heat. Coober Pedy and
White Cliffs Australia both show that less than a meter into a hill or mountain and the
temperature levels off in the mid 20ºc (I'd say around 80ºF).

So when living in a hill doesn't save you from the heat, where are your tribes meant to go in a game?

My pawns have been busy trying to get air-conditioning to refrigerate their meat and only
50% of the research is done to get electricity.

I love testing things and watching them break   :P
Sure I'll test it for you!
"Are you a Wizard^^ Belgrath?"
"maybe..."

Headshotkill

Whoa! Hold on there, if you're not carefull you could trigger a zombie apocalyps with this thread necro.

Nah just kidding, the temp-system might need some tweaking but other additions could also help the game such as bathing in pools to cool down and other activities.

b0rsuk

The effect of sun is not modelled in the game, and this is the result. It's barely worth it to work during nights in Rimworld. In fact, it may be the opposite because colonists can make use of very effective heat resistant clothes while awake, but not while sleeping.

The game wasn't designed around tribes, but after industrial level colonies.

If you can research "complex clothes", can you last through a night in heat wave ? Dusters and cowboy hats.

cultist

Cowboy hats should be enough to survive most normal heat waves. Survive, but probably not easily. Pawns might go unconcious, mental break, old pawns or cold lover ones may die. But the colony should survive in most cases.

Belgrath

Its a random seed Scenario editor start, I started with 47 Ostrich Leather Cowboy hats.
Cowboy hats did nothing. Also everyone had heatstroke, even the 2 pawns wearing dusters.
6 people had extreme heatstroke and the other 3 had serious heatstroke.
I love testing things and watching them break   :P
Sure I'll test it for you!
"Are you a Wizard^^ Belgrath?"
"maybe..."

Darth Fool

Personally,  I think tiles with overhead mountain roofs should have a temperature shift towards the climatalogical annual mean temperature.  This would provide a normalization of temperatures that would, I think, solve many of these sorts of problems.

Shabazza

Quote from: Darth Fool on July 26, 2016, 09:14:42 AM
Personally,  I think tiles with overhead mountain roofs should have a temperature shift towards the climatalogical annual mean temperature.  This would provide a normalization of temperatures that would, I think, solve many of these sorts of problems.
The temperature in mountains will already be cooler than outside in hot biomes or warmer in cold biomes.
It came with some A13 patch I believe. But it's only a subtle effect.

b0rsuk

Quote from: Shabazza on July 26, 2016, 10:35:54 AM
It came with some A13 patch I believe. But it's only a subtle effect.
Less than 5 degrees of difference (Celsius). It's meaningless.

Shurp

Any square with an Overhead Mountain should have a strong preference for 10'C.

I suppose this idea belongs in <Suggestions>.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

milon

^ True.  This did start as a General Discussion, but it's now clearly a Suggestion.  And since it was necro & didn't add anything to the original thread, I split it off here.

Split from: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=9289.0

mumblemumble

really, heat and light could re redone, with sunlight providing extra heat on tiles hit, and moonlight cooling tiles.  Though I agree, getting out AND away from the beating sun should cool things a lot.
Why to people worry about following their heart? Its lodged in your chest, you won't accidentally leave it behind.

-----

Its bad because reasons, and if you don't know the reasons, you are horrible. You cannot ask what the reasons are or else you doubt it. But the reasons are irrefutable. Logic.

PocketNerd

Mikhail Reign

Casazzo

I had a mountain colony die because of a heatwave and the new system. It's utterly unrealistic. Just go in your basement when it's 36 degrees Celsius outside. Not more than 16 to 20 degrees there. A whole mountain should never get heated up to more than 50 degrees like it happened to me.