[A14] ADogSaid - EPOE workbenches

Started by syntax1993, July 27, 2016, 11:52:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syntax1993

Attention: This mod should only be used with the NoCrafting version of A Dog Said if you want the animal parts to be on the same workbenches as EPOE.
Description:
This mod allows you to craft the prosthetics and bionics used in ADogSaid using the EPOE workbenches.
The following items can be crafted at the following workbenches:

• Simple Prosthetic Workbench:

• Simple Prosthetic Animal Leg
    • Simple Prosthetic Animal Arm
    • Simple Prosthetic Animal Jaw
    • Simple Prosthetic Animal Spine
    • Simple Prosthetic Animal Ear
  • Bionic Workbench

• Bionic Animal Eye
    • Bionic Animal Leg
    • Bionic Animal Arm
    • Bionic Animal Jaw
    • Bionic Animal Spine
    • Bionic Animal Ear
  • Surrogate Organs Workbench

• Animal Brain Stimulator
  • Synthetic Organs Workbench

• Bionic Animal Heart
    • Bionic Animal Lung
It works exactly the same as EPOE. You craft Simple Prosthetics and make Bionic parts out of that. I might scale the resources a bit since Animals are a lot less useful so the cost of the parts should be less too. EDIT: I won't. The bionic parts in ADS are equally good as advanced bionics in EPOE so I think it balances eachother out (You don't want to spend as much on animals as you do on Humans + The animal parts are better).

This mod depends on ADogSaid and Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering. Make sure these two mods are loaded BEFORE this mod. This is compatible with existing save games.

Download
Steam Workshop Mediafire

Changelog
[27/07/2016] - Changed heart and lung to be crafted on Synthetic Workbench
[27/07/2016] - Initial upload

License
Can modpack makers include your mod in their modpack? Yes. Check with the original modders first though.
Can other modders make derivative mods based on yours? Yes. Check with the original modders first though.

Credits
Modders
Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering by Ykara
ADogSaid by Nattiejim

Inspiration
Bucketsmith

kaptain_kavern

Dude,we are working on a release to make the item to be craft able. But not on EPOE  workbenches ...

You know you could have asked or something ...

syntax1993

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 12:58:48 PM
Dude,we are working on a release to make the item to be craft able. But not on EPOE  workbenches ...

You can always use my recipes if you'd like. I just thought it made a lot more sense to use the existing workbenches as otherwise we'll have thousands of workbenches, where lots of them serve a similar purpose.

EDIT: You can just copy-paste my mod and use that in yours. I don't see why people would need multiple workbenches serving the same purpose. Simple Human Prosthetics Workbench, Simple Animal Prosthetics Workbench, ...

I just saved you guys a lot of time.

Master Bucketsmith

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 12:58:48 PM

Where did that seemingly hostile attitude come from?
I don't see anything in that link about workbenches, at the time of writing. :-\

We don't want more and more workbenches. We want simplicity where it is merited.
And if we think we have two or more crafting tasks that are continuous, we'll build two of said workbench.
That's where our need and idea came from and that's why syntax1993 made his simple mod.
He's credited both you and the EPOE author.

There's not even any copied code, if you want to get technical about it. He wrote everything on his own and the only mod this one leans on as a dependency is EPOE. It creates possibilities for ADS.
And especially if you're not going to make them craftable on EPOE benches, syntax1993' mod is not getting in your way in any shape or form! ;)

What?! :o

slimane

Very nice! Two of my favorite mods come as one! Just wondering if this is save game compatible (im using both ADogSaid and EPOE in the current game)

syntax1993

Quote from: slimane on July 27, 2016, 02:40:44 PM
Very nice! Two of my favorite mods come as one! Just wondering if this is save game compatible (im using both ADogSaid and EPOE in the current game)

This is save game compatible. If you want to be 100% sure, make a backup of your savegame (C:\Users\YourName\AppData\LocalLow\Ludeon Studios\RimWorld\Saves) and try it out. The game doesn't easily mess up save files and doesn't overwrite a save if it fails to load or something so.

kaptain_kavern

Nothing hostile in here, mate.

I don't complain about stealing code or such (that's how i've learned). I'm not a child man i don't need to be credited :p

I just think about mod users that going to end up with numerous double recipes and such, as soon as we are update (updates that will be forcibly push in people savegames due the awesome Steamworkshop ....)

And just to be clear there is no ego race/clash in here (we just updated an old mod that wasn't ours ... and at the end of the day we all use code from Tynan at first).

You're completely allowed to do this. It's just that for some modders in here we are working together since several year, we have our rules/usages (nothings mandatory, just good will and kind discussion).

But you're wrong about saving time, as we will have more people reporting issues/conflict than without. But hey that's how modding an alpha games imply :p

Again no hostility from part. If i sound weird it's because i'm french ;-)

witchyspoon

Quote from: Bucketsmith on July 27, 2016, 02:34:31 PM
Where did that seemingly hostile attitude come from?
I don't see anything in that link about workbenches, at the time of writing. :-\

We don't want more and more workbenches. We want simplicity where it is merited.
And if we think we have two or more crafting tasks that are continuous, we'll build two of said workbench.
That's where our need and idea came from and that's why syntax1993 made his simple mod.
He's credited both you and the EPOE author.

There's not even any copied code, if you want to get technical about it. He wrote everything on his own and the only mod this one leans on as a dependency is EPOE. It creates possibilities for ADS.
And especially if you're not going to make them craftable on EPOE benches, syntax1993' mod is not getting in your way in any shape or form! ;)

What?! :o

there's no hostility here..it's just..we were a bit surprised is all ;)  Because if he had asked us about it first, or at least given us a heads up we might have told him that we were working on making our animal parts craftable on vanilla benches. We didn't want to add new workbenches either. Also not everyone is using EPOE  ;)
And now if we would go ahead and update our mod on steam with our new crafting added it might conflict etc with multiple recipes and so on bc steam updates automaticly without informing the mod-user. The whole thing is just a bit awkward now.  ::)

but all that aside..this mod is quite nice and useful for EPOE users you saved us the work on making an EPOE version Syntax1993, so thank you kindly :)

Nattiejim

Spoonshortage explained it nicely - we only wish you'd asked us first.

However, I'd like to thank you for making this addon - it'll likely help EPOE users who want to craft animal prosthetics. :-)
Hello there! | Creator of the Balancing Act mod

JesusKreist

He could have asked first if you were planning to implement this (as said before there was no sign of such plans). You could have asked first if someone is making such mod. And all of you could have asked first who the next President of Planet Spaceballs will be.
Posts dripping with hostility and arrogance are not helping anyone. Especially not new modders in the already thin modders scene.

/edit
And by the way those recipes won't conflict in any shape or form. At max the player notices two available recipes for bionic animal legs which are differently priced but I can not see any potential for mod conflicts whatsoever.

Fluffy (l2032)

In general it's just good form to tell people when you're planning to do things with their mods. Also breeds cooperation, avoids double work, and it's just the right thing to do.

JesusKreist

Yes it is.

And not more or less yelling at someone who was not asking is the pinnacle of good form.
And it does not matter if the person in question is french, suaheli, north korean or islandic.

syntax1993

Allright look. I do not mean to insult anyone, trigger anyone. I just wanted to have a way of creating the ADS items. I did see you guys were planning on making this, I saw that on the Steam Workshop page but I wanted a solution now. If you guys update your mod to where you can craft the items, no-one will want my mod anymore since it's already in there. That was also the point of this mod, provide a temporary way to craft the items, until a better solution is out there.

Whenever your solution is out there, no-one needs this mod anymore and we'll forget all about it. In the meanwhile this is a working solution that people can use while waiting on your update.

Master Bucketsmith

I want to take the time to respond to some of the things here because I'm unsure about the intent behind it and would like to clear it up.
Please respond with your feedback if a segment applies to you! :D

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PM
Nothing hostile in here, mate.
That might not have been your intent, but I hope you can look back and see how easily your post is misinterpreted as such. :)

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PMI'm not a child man i don't need to be credited :p
There's nothing childish about wanting to be credited. ;)

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PMI just think about mod users
Why do you underline this and what do you actually mean with it? It makes you sound like you're trying to say "it is only socially expected of people in our modding scene to do X", where X is not defined clearly. :-X

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PMthat going to end up with numerous double recipes and such, as soon as we are update
I believe one of your teammates a bit later in this thread stated you will use vanilla workbenches?
Quote from: spoonshortage on July 27, 2016, 11:23:47 PM
we might have told him that we were working on making our animal parts craftable on vanilla benches.
So there's not going to be double recipes, since they're not even using the same workbench.
Not a game breaking bug, just a slight bother perhaps. Personally, since I like EPOE, I would prefer it to be on their medical benches. Vanilla doesn't have any proper medical related workbenches. :-\

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PM
(updates that will be forcibly push in people savegames due the awesome Steamworkshop ....)

...But you're wrong about saving time, as we will have more people reporting issues/conflict than without. But hey that's how modding an alpha games imply :p
Quote from: spoonshortage on July 27, 2016, 11:23:47 PMAnd now if we would go ahead and update our mod on steam with our new crafting added it might conflict etc with multiple recipes and so on bc steam updates automaticly without informing the mod-user. The whole thing is just a bit awkward now.  ::)
How is the workshop update system relevant to the ongoing discussion that manifested in this thread? I don't think it is.
Which ties into the second quote from kaptain kavern that I put in there. The 'saving of time' that was mentioned was in regards to the coding that was done, not referring to potential future support that one or both parties should give. I get that you see that as a possible issue, but I find it rude to mix-match individual arguments/points to make a point of your own when they don't relate directly.
And about that support, I think you're wrong there, too. Any incompatibilities that arise because of this mod are obviously not your responsibility. So why sweat? ;)

Quote from: kaptain_kavern on July 27, 2016, 03:52:35 PMAnd just to be clear there is no ego race/clash in here (we just updated an old mod that wasn't ours ... and at the end of the day we all use code from Tynan at first).

You're completely allowed to do this. It's just that for some modders in here we are working together since several year, we have our rules/usages (nothings mandatory, just good will and kind discussion).
Right so here I see mixed signals. First, you make clear that you do not intent on egotripping. Then you reinforce that by saying syntax1993 is allowed to do what you perceive him doing. (Which is what, btw? Adding non-conflicting compatibility/cross-over between two mods? Copying your work? What is it you feel he's allowed to do?)
But then, you say that some people have worked together for quite some time and have formed their own written/unwritten rules and expectations. As if those would automatically apply to anyone else. I find that to be nonsense. You cannot expect others to live by unwritten rules that you made. It's entirely against what a modding scene is about; sharing ideas and result. There's no greater compliment than someone going; "Wow, this guy's work is amazing. It inspired me and I will use it to achieve my own work resting on it."

Quote from: spoonshortage on July 27, 2016, 11:23:47 PM
there's no hostility here..it's just..we were a bit surprised is all ;)  Because if he had asked us about it first, or at least given us a heads up we might have told him that we were working on making our animal parts craftable on vanilla benches. We didn't want to add new workbenches either. Also not everyone is using EPOE  ;)
Quote from: Nattiejim on July 28, 2016, 12:21:32 AM
Spoonshortage explained it nicely - we only wish you'd asked us first.
That's fantastic. So you expect everyone to continually halt creativity by asking some sort of arbitrary permission from other modders who are no authority? (I don't mean to sound harsh, I can't think of another way to write it.) And if it's not that, then who cares that in the worst case scenario, multiple people are working on the same goals and ideas? That just creates more flavour for people to choose from. That's what modding is about. Alternatives to the vanilla game. More flavour.
Indeed, not everyone uses EPOE. It is great we established that. This mod is specifically for people who used both EPOE and ADS. :-\

Quote from: spoonshortage on July 27, 2016, 11:23:47 PMbut all that aside..this mod is quite nice and useful for EPOE users you saved us the work on making an EPOE version Syntax1993, so thank you kindly :)
Quote from: Nattiejim on July 28, 2016, 12:21:32 AM
However, I'd like to thank you for making this addon - it'll likely help EPOE users who want to craft animal prosthetics. :-)
I'm glad that in the end, you see it for what it is!

EDIT: Perhaps most importantly; if anything, questions about addendums/additions/changes/separate versions inspired by should be going towards Latta, the author of the A Dog Said mod on which all of this is based.

skullywag

Can we end this discussion now please, this mod is perfectly valid, if in future this becomes obsolete/conflicted due to what the guys working on the base mod are planning on doing then itll get dealt with at that point. Also just for funsies I was technically the first person to update this to A14 based on the old thread and will continue to use my version privately (I had already uploaded it to steam first as well but took it down when I saw KK and Co talking about it so let them have at it), just making the point that no one of us/you owns this, keep it civil and work with each other where you can.
Skullywag modded to death.
I'd never met an iterator I liked....until Zhentar saved me.
Why Unity5, WHY do you forsake me?