What are the rules for roof collapse? How many tiles to nearest support?

Started by stigma, July 27, 2016, 03:35:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stigma

Hey all,

Does someone know the exact rules for roof collapse? How near does a support have to be? It looks like this stuff got changed, and googling this just turns up a lot of old information that seems to not be accurate anymore. Also the wiki is very out of date and straight up missing a lot of info...

EDIT: Actually, maybe not all of that info was outdated after all. It seems like the rule still is "there needs to be a support within 6 tiles". I was getting a little confused about the shadows (areas looking roofed, but not actually being so).

So if I'm correct this means that the largest room you can make without supports is one whose width is 12 tiles (not including the wall)? This seems to be what my testing indicates.

If I'm wrong in any way, or the rules have more caveats then please let me know. Otherwise maybe someone else can learn from my experimentation.

-Stigma

b0rsuk

A wall can support roof up to 6 (included) squares from it. Note that when you use supports the biggest possible roof supported by it will be circular in shape, not square.