Chess tables

Started by MeowRailroad, July 27, 2016, 05:01:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MeowRailroad

Do I need to place stools or chairs next to a chess table or do colonists use it without that? Because I've built a few in several colonies but I've never seen them use it.
Quote from: Tynan on December 02, 2016, 05:24:06 PM
This is like being in a remote fishing town in Libera and asking, "Why can't I just pay one of the fishermen $10 to take me back to Los Angeles?"

b0rsuk

They need stools or dining chairs next to them. Be patient and you will see.

giannikampa

Now let's take the question to another level: how many sittings can you add to a chess table and them being actually used? 2 or 4? Asking this because I noticed that now it is possible to have up to 8 people eating togeter on a small dinig table with 8 sitplaces aroun it.
And as always.. sorry for my bad english

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: giannikampa on July 28, 2016, 04:35:40 AM
Now let's take the question to another level: how many sittings can you add to a chess table and them being actually used? 2 or 4? Asking this because I noticed that now it is possible to have up to 8 people eating togeter on a small dinig table with 8 sitplaces aroun it.

I have found that 8 people won't eat at one small table. At least not at the same time. If two at the same corner try eating at the same time, one ends up eating off the ground next to that space. Unless that has changed recently. I haven't tried since Alpha 12 when I first spotted that behavior.

8 people can relax socially with no problem though.

milon

^ Ditto.  They'll sit on whatever chair is nearby/available, but they will put their food on the floor if someone else is using that table spot.  So they'll still get the Ate Off The Floor mood debuff.

ChimpX

I eat off the floor all the time. Really don't know what the big debuff deal is  :P

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: milon on July 28, 2016, 01:21:22 PM
^ Ditto.  They'll sit on whatever chair is nearby/available, but they will put their food on the floor if someone else is using that table spot.  So they'll still get the Ate Off The Floor mood debuff.

lol, I am glad someone else is seeing this behavior.

I see youtubers placing their chairs that way all the time, and I try to refrain from posting about this every time I see them doing it. I don't always succeed in not posting. ;)

stigma

I've done some basic testing and it seems that colonists do indeed need their own table-space to "eat of a table".

I believe I have observed that 2 people can share a chair though - but not under all circumstances. I think if both want to use the chair to eat then it works, but if one is using it to relax while the other wants to eat then it is reserved by the relaxer and thus blocked for use.

In short, I wouldn't try to skimp too hard on the chairs and tables - but having a few of your chairs next to more than one table surface can only help - and is probably a good idea to do if you have one or two really high quality chairs (since they can potentially see double use sometimes that way).

Oh, and remember that colonists won't trek across the map to eat in your fancy dining hall. If they are really hungry and have food nearby or on them (they often carry meals as lunch if you make those) they will rather eat from the ground than travel super far (which is logical and more optimal work efficiency anyway). Just keep this in mind, and consider having a small basic eating spot with a basic stool or two near areas away from your base which are frequently visited and worked at (distant farming plots, logging areas, perhaps even one near your front-line for fighters and returning hunters).

I can definitely confirm that chairs CAN be shared by crafters - so again, if you have a great chair sandwiched between 2 crafting stations that see a lot of use then that's not a bad idea as it keeps both crafters very comfortable while working.

I might also mention that the orientation of chairs seems to be purely aesthetic - your colonists don't care if they sit backwards or sideways. (all the cool kids sit on chairs backwards anyway .... or maybe that was just the 80's ..??)

-Stigma

asanbr

What? Chairs can be used while crafting? Why is this not mentioned anywhere?

MsMeiriona

Quote from: asanbr on July 28, 2016, 06:15:19 PM
What? Chairs can be used while crafting? Why is this not mentioned anywhere?
This is news to me as well.

Spectreofoz

Chairs or stool at crafting benches  - do they affect behavior , productivity or outcome?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Spectreofoz on July 28, 2016, 09:59:27 PM
Chairs or stool at crafting benches  - do they affect behavior , productivity or outcome?

Mood only I think, at least in vanilla. Think some mods may have effects to change productivity.

ChimpX

Chairs at production benches affect the Comfort mood element if I'm not mistaken.

Listy

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on July 28, 2016, 03:10:33 PM
I see youtubers [...]

Watching Youtubers play Rimworld is an exercise in raising your blood pressure. Watching them make mistakes, squander resources or just get mechanics wrong.

I have to keep reminding myself "my way of playing isn't the only one! See how the other half Lives..."
Then my little internal Rimworlder ruins it by adding "..briefly, as what they've just done is going to come back and bite them in the ass!"