[RW-1.0.2059] Medieval Times (v. 1.974.B-19 (Updated-10/22/2018))

Started by Vindar, July 27, 2016, 11:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vindar

Quote from: oreganor on September 11, 2016, 04:19:57 AM
QuoteI've fought off a few pretty sizable raids from the medieval factions without taking much in the way of losses now. I've found that it becomes pretty important to make a castle setup at your entrance. A couple spaced out layers of spiked barricades, some traps scattered in between, and my colonists shooting from behind walls with the sandbag replacer rampart thingy between the walls to be very effective.

Medieval raids have an excess of melee fighters which makes them easier to defeat by rows of traps along walls and "bait pawns" that move fast. By the time enemy archers are in possition melee section of the raid is badly crippled or dead, triggering a full defeat with just 1 or 2 ranged enemy casualties.

As with anything related to traps just take advantage of the fact that friendlies will avoid them if there is room (And they cheat as they can travel through diagonals) while enemies will not.

On most my colonies I always put traps along walls and on width 2 corridors precissely to counter the speed of melee heavy raids. Examples below of my current A15 one:

Trapped Corridor (I could go as far as placing them closer leaving just single cell gaps in the diagonals... But those spike traps are expensive :) )

And this is how my external walls look like:

Don't worry, I can fix that archers taking too long to get to the front lines thingy! >:D

Facepunch

Any chance you could put it on Dropbox, or Github? Nexus forces you to make an account for downloads 2Mb+

oreganor

QuoteDon't worry, I can fix that archers taking too long to get to the front lines thingy! >:D

Nooooooo!!! :)

It's nice seeing moders addressing AI weak spots... But the inherent "distance" between archers and melees is not a simple speed problem... It's the fact that they stop to aim while the melee keep on charging. You can't really fix that unless you add a much needed feature which is pawns that take into account their targets can move away from their firing range...

...It's painfull to see it in action when you watch how your hunters waste aiming after aiming when they try to hunt an animal that's moving away from them... They try to aim right when at max range... Instead at maxrange - targetspeed x warmuptime which is what would always give a shot unless the target blocks LOF.

On the subject of traps... It would rock to see rational AI (Animals shouldn't) reacting to a nearby friendly triggering a trap... At least they should stop following their current melee target as they would suspect they are been lured into a trapfield. That way you keep the "suppressing effect" of a trapfield, but without the "cheesiness" of been able to force early retreats or massive casualties by just using a single fast moving bait luring entire "melee trains" into dense trapfields.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Vindar

Updated to (v. 1.31.A15c)
  - Added new item "Scaled Gauntlets"
  - Added new item "Scaled Boots"
  - Various tweaks and adjustments.
  - Added "Trade Goods" to various trade caravan / ships (Non-essential)

----------------------------------------------------

Legacy Version 1.31 for Alpha 14-e added to Nexus files. (Save-Breaker from 1.016.014)
Dev Notes on legacy version: Ice boxes are limited in Alpha 14-e, because of this no min temp can be set on it.

-------------------------------------------------------
I got it one tweak at a time, and it wouldn't cost me a dime~

Vindar

(v. 1.32.A15c)
   - Added new difficulty "Medieval Mayham"
   - Added new artwork "Shrine of the Creator" (yes it looks like Tynan)
   - Updated graphic & size of production building "Smokehouse"
   - Added new production Building "Stone Quarry"
   - Various minor tweaks and adjustments.

as always feedback is desired

gadjung

like the "bigger" smokehouse, would love it if it had "fermentation" mehanics or similiar
still going to rant about no textiles in armor crafting recipes (but fixed it with my own mini-mod, sent You msg about that also, whteva :p)
Braziers could be also from multiple metallic + jade materials (and have some small beauty)

Quarry mapping of aready stored stone chunks is wrong, since it counts all stone chunks on map

generally i like where it's going and that it's pretty well balanced for now.

Btw there is no posibility of befriending hostile medieval faction via capture and release ?

Vindar

Quote from: gadjung on September 16, 2016, 01:01:15 PM
like the "bigger" smokehouse, would love it if it had "fermentation" mehanics or similiar
still going to rant about no textiles in armor crafting recipes (but fixed it with my own mini-mod, sent You msg about that also, whteva :p)
Braziers could be also from multiple metallic + jade materials (and have some small beauty)

Quarry mapping of aready stored stone chunks is wrong, since it counts all stone chunks on map

generally i like where it's going and that it's pretty well balanced for now.

Btw there is no posibility of befriending hostile medieval faction via capture and release ?

got the msg, but the mod started with cloth added to armour and eventually had it removed for ease of use (simplicity and all that jazz)

like the idea of adding beauty to certain items like braziers, might see that in next patch, wont change type cost though.

confused on what your saying with the quarry thing.

medieval war-bands cant be befriended currently, same as the core game raiders, might change in the future but for now that's how it works. the societies on the other hand can be freely befriended or made enemies of.

gadjung

In quarry, when setting "do until having X" it says that i have 892 chunks of marble stored already which i guess is number of chunks on map

Vindar

Quote from: gadjung on September 17, 2016, 03:52:26 AM
In quarry, when setting "do until having X" it says that i have 892 chunks of marble stored already which i guess is number of chunks on map

ah, gotcha. Not sure their is anything i can do about that though. only work around i can think of would be to have it "do X" instead of "do until having X", I know it's a pain, but kinda how things work.

quarry is meant for maps that have run out of stone, don't have much stone to begin with, or are lacking specific types of stone.

I really needed it in so i could reliably do things that add recipes for things like quicklime (which will probably be added to catapult ammo cost)

believe it or not in RL limestone is one of those essential items, It's used in the production of concrete and roads, used as a soil conditioner, for the purification of glass/sugar/paper, as a disinfectant, a vitamin supplement(calcium), used in medicine, cosmetics, toothpaste, paints, plastics, the creation of fabrics and wools, and is essential to the use of blast-furnaces and preventing massive explosions while coal-mining.

honestly, we'd be ****ed without limestone.

oreganor

Minor Aesthetical bug: Doors do not align properly when adjacent walls are Embrasures (Apparent when embrasures are up and down from the door possition). It's purely aesthetical... The door works properly so not a priority to loose too much time into, IMHO.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Vindar

Quote from: oreganor on September 17, 2016, 11:42:19 AM
Minor Aesthetical bug: Doors do not align properly when adjacent walls are Embrasures (Apparent when embrasures are up and down from the door possition). It's purely aesthetical... The door works properly so not a priority to loose too much time into, IMHO.

this is a known issue and is the result of the embrasures not being defined as impassable walls. Sadly it's hard-coded into the game so the only way to fix it would be to use a code injection. I honestly don't intend to fix it unless i can find a way to do so without a code Injection. The reason for this is because one of the mission statements for the mod(currently) is no code injections.

The work around for it is to simply use walls at sections where you place a door, ergo:
(emb)(wall)(Door)(wall)(emb)

oreganor

Quotethis is a known issue and is the result of the embrasures not being defined as impassable walls.

Thanks for the detailed answer... I suspected something like this as when I converted your embrasures to Impassable the already existing doors on the map "magically" turned ok. My initial reaction to your design change about embrasures was negative... So I edited your mod to make them back as in A14... But then I understood that they made melee heavy raids very easy to defeat as Vanilla AI doesn't know how to deal well with them (Because melee AI doesn't know how to avoid LOF when they charge in). It was during this "AI evaluations" when I actually realized the "visual bug"... Because just by chance at that moment all my "defensive bunkers" doors had entrances with embrasures left and right, so wasn't able to see it in action until I created more bunkers using Dev Tools.

The issue on why I have to put embrasures next to doors is because, back when they were Impassable, solid walls next to doors created "blindspots" precissely in the entry point Melee AI used to break in. Now that they just try to "squeeze through" I suppose that I can avoid this "visual disturbance" :) by using your advice.
Contributions:
Melee Skill Rebalance

Vindar

(v. 1.33.A15c)
- Added new weapon "One-Handed Mace"
- Various stat & description changes/tweaks.
- Removed changes to Weapons_Melee.XML

Weapons_Melee.XML was removed as the mod now has enough weapons in it that it no longer needs to piggyback off the core game items.

Stone quarry has been re-balanced as original version was OP. (It was uploaded quickly just to get it in the game & get some feedback.)

as always feedback on things like balance issues, game-play tweaks, graphical appearance, or bugs you encounter are premium wants by yours truly.

@Wishmaster
nope, I'm stubborn and bull headed, I refuse to make another account I don't need or want...
Well... Maybe when I go searching for a picture upload service, I'm gonna have to do that eventually when I decide I want to share the Rimworld story I'm working on...

Nommy

Can you make it a forum post attachment instead? I've got to admit I got pretty frustrated going though the signup for nexusmod too and it was just to DL this mod. Actually isn't it possible to make files in the steam workshop downloadable as well? Pretty sure I've seen download links to stuff there. IDK anything about it though.