[RW-1.0.2059] Medieval Times (v. 1.974.B-19 (Updated-10/22/2018))

Started by Vindar, July 27, 2016, 11:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trigon

Quote from: Vindar on September 01, 2016, 01:47:21 AM
Quote from: Trigon on August 31, 2016, 11:50:03 PM
What's this tech tree inclusion of which you speak?

re-named smithing to "Modern smithing" and made advanced smithing a pre-requisite, than made electricity require modern smithing (cause circuits need pure metals yo).

thats pretty much it, it's not nessisary just makes the medieval stuff feel more like an era that comes before electricty. works great if you start with the tribal scenario (thats what im "playtesting" currently).

since the tech changes are a core file it could cause conflicts with mods that "require" core changes and are loaded before it, however, it's always recommended that you load medieval times at the top of the list, that way any mods that need to change core files can do so without interference from this mod. if you loose the tweak i made in the core file it's no big deal and doesn't hurt the mod at all.

any of the core files that are changed in this mod are optional, meaning if you delete them from the mod folder it wont break medieval times. all of it is just balence/convience changes.

some of it's kinda cool though, like the different graphic for teeshirts and the pants graphic.
Sorry if I sound kinda dumb here, but does that mean I should load medieval times before core? I haven't ever heard of any mods like that before.

Deimos Rast

Sorry if I sound kinda dumb here, but does that mean I should load medieval times before core? I haven't ever heard of any mods like that before.
[/quote]
No, he just means the mod overrides some Core files. If you load a mod that changes those files before Medieval Times, it might cause issues, so it's better to load Medieval Times as high as possible.
Pretty sure it won't work if you try to load it before Core anyway.
#StopPluginAbuse

ProFF7

Have you considered trying to implement reach to melee weapons? Thats what I have been trying to do with spears, for those close supportive spear blocks, because now spears are not more than a weaker version of a sword..

but for some reason when adding verb "range" to a melee weapon, it seems the game considers it a ranged weapon, but anyway, it will not make any kind of attacks. Anyways, I am not very good with scripting, maybe you could figure a way to do it?

Vindar

Quote from: ProFF7 on September 02, 2016, 08:15:24 AM
Have you considered trying to implement reach to melee weapons? Thats what I have been trying to do with spears, for those close supportive spear blocks, because now spears are not more than a weaker version of a sword..

but for some reason when adding verb "range" to a melee weapon, it seems the game considers it a ranged weapon, but anyway, it will not make any kind of attacks. Anyways, I am not very good with scripting, maybe you could figure a way to do it?

I tried and failed for the reason you stated. believe it or not I'm not very good with scripting either. :P

I'll try to find a work-around when i get the spare time, but it's not looking hopeful, I'd really like ranged melee weapons too, but i just don't think their going to be possible at the moment.

Quote from: Trigon on September 01, 2016, 04:57:55 PM
Quote from: Vindar on September 01, 2016, 01:47:21 AM
Quote from: Trigon on August 31, 2016, 11:50:03 PM
What's this tech tree inclusion of which you speak?

re-named smithing to "Modern smithing" and made advanced smithing a pre-requisite, than made electricity require modern smithing (cause circuits need pure metals yo).

thats pretty much it, it's not nessisary just makes the medieval stuff feel more like an era that comes before electricty. works great if you start with the tribal scenario (thats what im "playtesting" currently).

since the tech changes are a core file it could cause conflicts with mods that "require" core changes and are loaded before it, however, it's always recommended that you load medieval times at the top of the list, that way any mods that need to change core files can do so without interference from this mod. if you loose the tweak i made in the core file it's no big deal and doesn't hurt the mod at all.

any of the core files that are changed in this mod are optional, meaning if you delete them from the mod folder it wont break medieval times. all of it is just balence/convience changes.

some of it's kinda cool though, like the different graphic for teeshirts and the pants graphic.

Always load Core first, than as was stated by the post above, load Medieval times as high as you can on your list. (you can load CCM & others like it before Medieval Times if you want)

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 01, 2016, 04:13:23 PM
so I've already post how much I love this mod, and I still do, but I kind of feel the last update or so was maybe a misstep. I agree the research needed some added complexity, but I think you went maybe a little far, and now I feel like I'm getting nickeled and dimed on researched projects. I don't see the need for the ice wall stuff but I think it's cool that you're trying new things, and I'm happy that you're still developing this (this should be the main takeaway of this post) and as long as you have a vision for the mod I'm content to enjoy the ride.
Also: any chance of revisiting the fence model at some point? How to put this: you've set a rather high standard visually with the mod, and I think that one comes up short. ;)
Please don't take all this the wrong way; I just think you're entitled to feedback, both pro/con.
Cheers!
:)

This is actually the kind of feedback I'm desperate to hear. a wide range of opinions on how the mod is going and what changes are liked/disliked can help tremendously to shape the mod's future.

The tech tree isn't set in stone, but i think It's at the right place currently. I'll admit it feels hollow at the moment, but i intend to fill it out over time so each little tech feels like a big deal opening up whole new fields to explore. I also intend to make all the tech's auto-completed should you pick the basic start as opposed to the neolithic (tech tree will be for neolithic runs). 

I forgot to do the auto-complete this patch, but i should have it in next one (been busy lately)

Got a question for you(and anyone else who wants to answer), do you feel the locations of the Medieval items are good, or should they all be placed in a seperate "Medieval" tab?

-----------------------------------------------------------

Updated to: (v 1.28.A15c)
- Updated to Alpha 15c
- Tweaked forge tier layout so each tier also has items from the previous one.
- Increased the range of the Catapult.
- Various other minor tweaks

gadjung

Can we please have possibility to cook 4 weak/strong stews at once (like in old Bulk Meal mod) ?
Besides that, i love this mod.

Deimos Rast

I would keep them where they are honestly. The more mods, the more tabs you collect. I've started consolidating and running my own custom tabs.
Another point: the three forges seems a big over done. It wouldn't be so bad if level 3 replaced previous levels, but i think that'd require a plugin. On that topic, I strongly vote no plugins. (I know, kind of talking out of both sides of my mouth there).
I've decided to open up the files and make some edits, so I'm sure I'll have more feedback soon (for better or worse). I already met "Robo Willis" and his C10MG....haha. I'm sure there is a story there.

I'm curious about your spear range problem - you're just trying to give them length?
#StopPluginAbuse

gadjung

Also, forge receipes lack using leathers/cloth in some recipes (like steel plated boots or steel plates and winter cloak)

Jstank

Wouldn't it be more thematic if the catapult used chunks as ammo instead of artillery shells?

Is this complicated, I know little of rim world mods.
The road to hell is paved with good intentions.

- Bernard of Clairvaux

Trigon

Doesn't the catapult use explosive balls made at the forge? I didn't think you could load it with artillery shells.

Deimos Rast

Quote from: gadjung on September 03, 2016, 05:30:39 PM
Can we please have possibility to cook 4 weak/strong stews at once (like in old Bulk Meal mod) ?
So I made you a thing.... ;D
Below you'll find an xml document that adds the ability to craft x4 Jerked Meats, Weak Stews, and Hearty Stews for x4 the ingredients and a little less than x4 the work amount.
Note: currently in the mod it takes the same amount of work to make a weak stew as a hearty stew, which I think is low (I would increase it from 600 to 800 myself), but I respected this and based my numbers off of it.
I tested to see if they showed up in the hearth, and they all did. 8)
And no, this doesn't override anything in the mod, it's 100% clean.
Vindar is of course welcome to use it if he wants it, no credit necessary.
Cheers.

Installation:
put in the MedievalTimes/Defs/RecipeDefs folder.

[attachment deleted by admin - too old]
#StopPluginAbuse

wayward vagabond

adolf pimpler

Deimos Rast

Quote from: wayward vagabond on September 05, 2016, 07:00:51 AM
does this mod remove other fractions and weapons?
Broadly speaking, the mod doesn't remove anything from the game, only add to it. It adds Medieval factions and weapons, but doesn't remove anything, no (to the best of my knowledge, and I've putzed around in its innards quite a bit).
There is another mod out there that removes factions that have guns, and guns from the game if you're looking for that. It's somewhat designed to go with this mod.
Link to nexus link from the steam link if you don't have steam.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=736703444&searchtext=no+guns
#StopPluginAbuse

gadjung

Quote from: Deimos Rast on September 05, 2016, 01:28:04 AM
Quote from: gadjung on September 03, 2016, 05:30:39 PM
So I made you a thing.... ;D
Below you'll find an xml document that adds the ability to craft x4 Jerked Meats, Weak Stews, and Hearty Stews for x4 the ingredients and a little less than x4 the work amount.
Note: currently in the mod it takes the same amount of work to make a weak stew as a hearty stew, which I think is low (I would increase it from 600 to 800 myself), but I respected this and based my numbers off of it.
I tested to see if they showed up in the hearth, and they all did. 8)
And no, this doesn't override anything in the mod, it's 100% clean.
Vindar is of course welcome to use it if he wants it, no credit necessary.
Cheers.

Installation:
put in the MedievalTimes/Defs/RecipeDefs folder.
Thanks for help, yet i did that by myself already ;)
I think that it should be a part of the mod since cooking large stew for couple of medival warriors should go well with mod theme (and I would just prefer not to tinker with xml every time mod updates and for now at least i'm too lazy to tinker with mod and modify this one just to make it more suiting for myself)

Vindar

just a heads up, having extra production on food is planned in the future.

the hearth will still do X1 stews, but their will also be a food prep station which allows you to salt meats (for longer rot time) or pickle vegtables (same deal). also a smokehouse which lets you do the jerked meats or dried fruits (x10 at at time) and a cooker's cauldron (x10 stew).

at least that's the plan, graphics for the jerked meats, cheese, pickled veg, salted meat, prep station are done(ish). still need to do graphics for dried fruits, smokehouse, cookers cauldron.

no idea when ill get this all done, but the plan is for it to go under the medieval food systems tech w/ the ice box currently.

------------------------------------------

interesting side note, workbenches are gonna be flipped around in next patch so i've made them mini-fiable for the time being. might seem like i'm jerkin your chain on this one(although i did have a long laugh when i thought about people loggin in and seeing it), but the change allows me to use 1 graphic instead of 4 for the crafting station, tailoring station, forge, smelter, ect. This should cut down file size a bit.