[RW-1.0.2059] Medieval Times (v. 1.974.B-19 (Updated-10/22/2018))

Started by Vindar, July 27, 2016, 11:14:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gadjung

i recommend github for that.
easier to track changes also (both for You and gamers)

Maviaux

It takes like, three minutes at most to sign up to the Nexus and if you have it on Steam it's  one button.

Goodness.

That said, fantastic mod. Thank you for the continued support and updates.

yuu2319

Thank you so much for creating this mod.
though it has been said in the #1 post that Medieval wont remove guns from vanilla, but traders can still sell guns and components, so anyhow for me to remove that or should i just don't buy guns from them?
As a medieval lover, great mod and thank you for your hard work on this free job.

Vindar

Quote from: yuu2319 on September 19, 2016, 01:13:03 PM
Thank you so much for creating this mod.
though it has been said in the #1 post that Medieval wont remove guns from vanilla, but traders can still sell guns and components, so anyhow for me to remove that or should i just don't buy guns from them?
As a medieval lover, great mod and thank you for your hard work on this free job.

Embrace the mixing of medieval and modern my young padawan, the story is so much better that way. Hell, the medieval societies description even mentions their stance on future tech:

"Humans who have lived on this world so long that they have devolved into tribal societies and than evolved into a medieval ones. While they are not ignorant of current technologies, they generally use medieval techs for its convenience and ease of use."

The mod's lore (or the way that i see it) is that medieval tech is easy to mass produce while modern techs require a great deal of effort and specialized production. As such when you get societies on a large scale in the boonies of a rim-world, they do what they can to support the majority of their population, but the population out-grows the production. (nothing to do but screw around) That means peasants get a dirt hovel with a stone hearth, lords get fancy air conditioners. It's why you see personal shields on knights but no one else, they can afford the tech, men at arms, sell-swords and peasants cant. It's also why I feel you can justify groups sending out wave after wave of attack squads that keep getting killed. Even if they don't succeed in taking your base, their death helps with their groups over-population issues. I might even put in a "sorcerer" unit that uses the charge rifle for ***** n' giggles.

P.S.
You can always go into the trader lists and modify what they do and don't sell

files that would sell guns are are:
Defs/TraderKindDefs/TraderKinds_Caravan_Outlander
Defs/TraderKindDefs/TraderKinds_Orbital_Misc

to any trade group weapon/armor/item that you dont want to be a higher tech, just add the line:

<maxTechLevelGenerate>Neolithic</maxTechLevelGenerate>

(dont know if "Medieval" would work on this line)

an Example of this would be.

<li Class="StockGenerator_WeaponsRanged">
        <countRange>
          <min>2</min>
          <max>4</max>
        </countRange>
      </li>

turns into to:

<li Class="StockGenerator_WeaponsRanged">
        <maxTechLevelGenerate>Neolithic</maxTechLevelGenerate>
        <countRange>
          <min>2</min>
          <max>4</max>
        </countRange>
      </li>

their should be several changes that need to be made throughout the script, all the traders you need have an XML in the "Medieval Times" mod, so no need to route around in the core files. Make a backup of any files before you go editing them though, modding can be a pain sometimes.(one little thing could get screwed up and than you have to sit there for 5 hours trying to find the missing > or /, sometimes its easier to just start the alteration from the beginning in those situations)

Topper

Quote from: Maviaux on September 19, 2016, 10:17:49 AM
It takes like, three minutes at most to sign up to the Nexus and if you have it on Steam it's  one button.

It also takes 3 secs for someone to put up an alternative download. Some of us already have 1000 different forum registry and dont need another one to keep track of jsut to download a mod.

The creator being apparently unwilling or unable to do this after numerous requests from multiple people..could someone else who has a nexus account stick the file in a dropbox pls? No obligation to keep it updated.

Trigon

That's exactly how I interpret it as well. My current favorite start is a group of medieval folk packing up their muffalo and starting a new life elsewhere. But the crossbow man is still gonna pick up a rifle and at least have an idea how it works.

@Topper
As for taking the download from Nexus I'm going to say no. If the mod maker wants to have it available on Nexus that's their choice. Snagging it and providing an alternative download is against the license of most mods as well, and regardless of that I find it disrespectful to any mod authors who don't provide express permission to do as such.

Topper

Quote from: Trigon on September 19, 2016, 04:08:45 PM
That's exactly how I interpret it as well. My current favorite start is a group of medieval folk packing up their muffalo and starting a new life elsewhere. But the crossbow man is still gonna pick up a rifle and at least have an idea how it works.

@Topper
As for taking the download from Nexus I'm going to say no. If the mod maker wants to have it available on Nexus that's their choice. Snagging it and providing an alternative download is against the license of most mods as well, and regardless of that I find it disrespectful to any mod authors who don't provide express permission to do as such.

lawyers..its why we cant have nice things. tiny minor mod for video game remember? If you and Vindar want to be rocks in the river, high above the water in your self importance, the river will go around you and make "pull the stick out" jokes as its passes.  Internet :)

Vindar

*sigh*.....  I don't think i know how to respond to this level of stupid...

Theirs an old addage that goes "Never bite the hand that feeds".

I'll point to that and drop the subject, no need for this particular topic to go any further.

also let's not feed any trolls, their big, ugly, and rarely shut up. Just ignore em and hope they go away, please and thank you.

Topper

Quote from: Vindar on September 19, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

I'll point to that and drop the subject, no need for this particular topic to go any further.

also let's not feed any trolls, their big, ugly, and rarely shut up. Just ignore em and hope they go away, please and thank you.

"big ugly stupid troll" very mature.

You are not the hand that feeds you are the hand that withholds the food which is why people are complaining about being inconvenienced. Since most people can just download it from steam and toss that mod folder into the nonsteam version your not really doing anything other than punishing non steam users who dont want to join your DRM club. That you wont allow someone to post a dropbox link to that same steam version here is just being petty.

gadjung

Quote from: Topper on September 20, 2016, 04:44:43 AM
Quote from: Vindar on September 19, 2016, 09:13:24 PM

"big ugly stupid troll" very mature.

You are not the hand that feeds you are the hand that withholds the food which is why people are complaining about being inconvenienced. Since most people can just download it from steam and toss that mod folder into the nonsteam version your not really doing anything other than punishing non steam users who dont want to join your DRM club. That you wont allow someone to post a dropbox link to that same steam version here is just being petty.

Don't want to use steam version/nexus download - don't use it.
Creating nexus account and remembering password is not that hard.
Grow up and dont cry that 'someone witholds the food', since You're just too lazy to pick it up.

On the on-topic note - can we expect some more medieval furniture ?
And can it be possible to implement medieval raids doing sieging (balistas and catapults)

Vindar

Quote from: gadjung on September 20, 2016, 08:02:13 AM

On the on-topic note - can we expect some more medieval furniture ?
And can it be possible to implement medieval raids doing sieging (balistas and catapults)

unlikely on the furniture, I don't want the mod to feel cluttered (which it already is). Unless the furniture adds something new/necessary I probably wont add it unless I get in one of those whimsical moods like I did with the Tynan statue or random number god shrine.

Actually now that i think of it, i can deal with the clutter by attaching all the furniture to a workbench....

you might actually see furniture in the future now, lmao...

on sieges I need to go back and retest, originally they were ruled out as it influenced outlander/raider sieges, that might have changed with the A14 update, been busy, so haven't gone back and checked. I'll put checking it in the column for stuff to do this week. & give an update here when I can.

Moo

Hey yuu2319 (and anyone else) if you want a Medieval-only experience (no guns) I strongly recommend using Rimworld: Medieval Edition along with this mod! they play together perfectly.

DoomAngelBlade

Who the hell buys recurved bows, crossbows and arbalests? I have tons of them at 66-100% from enemies and noone buys them!

Trigon

I find that anyone who buys weapons typically buys them, when I start in really dense forests I can make decent starting cash of shortbows and the shoddy medieval equipment warband a leave me with.

poolday

Hi! First of all great mod! Thank you for working on it, it is very fun to play.
I have a question: can you make it so there can be no electrical items, firearms, modern medicine? so it can be played medieval all the way and all the time.
Thank you again for working on the mod!