[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

Diana Winters

Quote from: Love on December 21, 2016, 04:58:46 AM
I really liked the idea of this mod, but when I tried it out I didn't really like it.

The Storyteller picture looks fine in the thumbnail, but when you click it you get the same picture just overly stretched across the screen.

And the actual Orassan pawns themselves - I'm not against having cat people, quite the opposite, but the detail on their faces doesn't match the style of RimWorld pawns, too much shading and fine detail, and it makes them look really off.

If you're willing to make a replacement, I'll consider using it :p

Quote from: Ninjakitty66 on December 21, 2016, 09:12:58 AM
On another note, I think the Kitty LMG might be a little unbalanced. I had my kitty people attack one of the kitty caravans, about five people vs one. That one was a kitty with a lmg hiding behind a tree with five people shooting at her, she had only 4 shooting but hit every time even against the people in better cover.

Unfortunately that one kitty commando destroyed my colony of eight people by themself.

The LMG is a tweaked version of the heavy charge rifle used by the mechanoids; it's more accurate though. It more closely resembles real life imo ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wendigo

On another note, I think the Kitty LMG might be a little unbalanced. I had my kitty people attack one of the kitty caravans, about five people vs one. That one was a kitty with a lmg hiding behind a tree with five people shooting at her, she had only 4 shooting but hit every time even against the people in better cover.

Unfortunately that one kitty commando destroyed my colony of eight people by themself.
There's a couple reasons for that.  The biggest one is that the Orassan Exoskeletal Armor improves shooting accuracy by 125%.  Meaning it doubles accuracy with some change.  Even with Rimworld's odd accuracy curve, this means anyone with more then 2 shooting skill will start shooting like they have 20 skill, and bionics.

Secondly, the orassan LMG has accuracy at medium range comparable to the vanilla sniper rifle. (Slightly better, really, .9 for the LMG, .86 for the sniper rifle) Add that to the fact that it fires ten shots, giving the user ten sniper-level chances of getting a hit in...  You can probably see where this is going. 

Long story short, Orassans are going to tear apart anything you use unless you can somehow match their extremely powerful equipment, in a straight-up firefight.  It's less unbalancing when mixed in with other mods that add higher-tech equipment, but basically: Don't try to play fair, because they sure won't.  Mortars and IEDs are your friend, and properly leveraged melee can let you take them down without getting eaten alive by superior ranged weapons.

Good luck!  :D

Oh, and mind that new hostile-Orassan event, it looks pretty nasty on paper.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Wendigo on December 21, 2016, 02:23:14 PM

There's a couple reasons for that.  The biggest one is that the Orassan Exoskeletal Armor improves shooting accuracy by 125%.  Meaning it doubles accuracy with some change.  Even with Rimworld's odd accuracy curve, this means anyone with more then 2 shooting skill will start shooting like they have 20 skill, and bionics.

Secondly, the orassan LMG has accuracy at medium range comparable to the vanilla sniper rifle. (Slightly better, really, .9 for the LMG, .86 for the sniper rifle) Add that to the fact that it fires ten shots, giving the user ten sniper-level chances of getting a hit in...  You can probably see where this is going. 

Long story short, Orassans are going to tear apart anything you use unless you can somehow match their extremely powerful equipment, in a straight-up firefight.  It's less unbalancing when mixed in with other mods that add higher-tech equipment, but basically: Don't try to play fair, because they sure won't.  Mortars and IEDs are your friend, and properly leveraged melee can let you take them down without getting eaten alive by superior ranged weapons.

Good luck!  :D

Oh, and mind that new hostile-Orassan event, it looks pretty nasty on paper.

You need to take into account that they are a stellar empire (unlike you pesky humans!) and they need to protect their soldiers, as getting more there is a pain. Not to mention they just have better technology! But since people are using this mod, I am under the assumption that they are also using mods like Glittertech, so I need to keep it up to par. I'll consider nerfing the LMG, but remember that LMGs (especially once mounted!) are pretty accurate irl

Diana Winters

Ninjakitty66

Guess we better bow down to our kitty overlords, Egyptians foresaw this and started early in appeasing them.

Etherdreamer

When I try to open Prepare carefully this pop up
http://imgur.com/a/9z1Zr

Diana Winters

Quote from: Etherdreamer on December 21, 2016, 04:21:06 PM
When I try to open Prepare carefully this pop up
http://imgur.com/a/9z1Zr

Are you loading Orassans under Prepare Carefully?

Etherdreamer

Tested loading it before and after Orassans, same result about not loading Apparel

Darkmark8910

So in non-A16 related news, can this mod be made compatible with Lord Fappington's mods?

His mods are old and broken, but damnit, I want to bang catgirls already!

Diana Winters

Quote from: Darkmark8910 on December 21, 2016, 07:06:37 PM
So in non-A16 related news, can this mod be made compatible with Lord Fappington's mods?

His mods are old and broken, but damnit, I want to bang catgirls already!

The "catgirls" are already bangable

Diana Winters

Update 3: More Orassan bases should spawn

Kumai0214

Considering that Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering is updated to A16.. Will the compatibility patch still work? Or do we have to wait for an update on the patch.

Edit: I answered my own question and now I shall wait for an update on the patch.

IHateRegistering

There seems to be a bug with this mod when you answer the call for help from a stranger that's being chased by enemy factions, I had one that appeared with a blank face, i.e. neither eyes nor brows. Dunno if this is a conflict or the game being confused about what it should spawn, maybe that pawn was supposed to be a kitty? Either way other pawns like traders or raiders do not have that problem and neither do the pawns that appeared via 'wanderer joins' or 'escape pods' events, at least not until now.

Wolvan

Quote from: Diana Winters on December 21, 2016, 02:45:48 PM
CR patch updated to 16.1.CR

The Orassans don't have the inventory system added in CR for me, and as such can't pick up ammo or have any additional weapons on them.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Wolvan on December 23, 2016, 04:08:03 AM
Quote from: Diana Winters on December 21, 2016, 02:45:48 PM
CR patch updated to 16.1.CR

The Orassans don't have the inventory system added in CR for me, and as such can't pick up ammo or have any additional weapons on them.

Whoopsies! That's been fixed. Please make sure you are using 16.3.hf! If you are using the steam version, it should be downloaded automatically!

Quote from: Kumai0214 on December 22, 2016, 07:02:37 PM
Considering that Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering is updated to A16.. Will the compatibility patch still work? Or do we have to wait for an update on the patch.

Edit: I answered my own question and now I shall wait for an update on the patch.

The EPOE patch is now updated! [16.1.Ehf]