[1.0] Orassans 🐱

Started by Diana Winters, July 28, 2016, 11:05:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I plan on changing the look of the Orassans to more match the added storyteller. Do you want this?

Yes; I want a more cat-like look
No; keep the neko look
I don't care

Diana Winters

Quote from: StyleDragonLP on August 27, 2016, 03:44:35 PM
This is my error log BTW i have the non steam version

Are you using it on its own? You need CCL, EPOE, Orassans, then the Patch in your mod order.

StyleDragonLP

averagedog

I voted to go more catlike features to look like the storyteller and here is why.

As a "connoisseur" of the Internet, it's memes, and its overall social hierarchy, it is natural to come across people that hates anything anthropomorphic on principle. When I first came across the mod, I took the term "space neko" to heart and just imagined humans with cat ears and a tail. Which is well represented by the current art assets. But when the storyteller was added, I was simply confused. The storyteller isn't a neko. The storyteller is a full on anthropomorphic cat. My first thought was, where was this art taken from and did the creator of the mod get permission to use it? My second was, would I tap those sweet ass plentiful colonist events and increased raids? Yes, Yes I would. But that doesn't matter. What does matter is that I realized the author for this mod has been pushing towards this art asset upgrade for a while.

over time, the description for this mod has changed. Neko is now only mentioned once in the description. More features have been added such as race specific weaponry, armor, and now the obviously anthropomorphic storyteller. It should be obvious to everyone at this point that the author of this mod wants to make it high quality and more unique and clearly has the drive and passion needed to modify the game's base models to make the new art assets work.

But averagedog, why make them effective space furries? Why not keep them human like? I am glad you asked Billy! It is because, adding other non human races is something that isn't even on Tynan's radar and is actually against his personal artistic vision for his game. Tynan's may add other human factions or human like factions to try out. But never something that looks as non human as the Orassan storyteller. So with this said, the creator of this mod will be offering something to players that will never be added to the game, and I believe that is enough of a reason to warrant modding it into the game.

I have no idea what the author has in mind in terms of art assets, but the easiest things to do is probably to vary the skin tone colors or to make them match with the hair in terms of color scheme. But once you guys into eye colors, or adding claws, whiskers, or even a nose things can get much harder more quickly. And by Harder, I mean time consuming. I am not very sure on how exactly the character model generator works, but it is my assumption that it is essentially broken into few distinct areas such as body type,head type, hair style, hair color, skin color, and starting clothing. This would mean the author will have to make many many new head types to correspond with whiskers and varying eye colors and body types to add claws. Art asset wise, this sounds like a hilariously large amount of work to do alone. So yea.... Those were my thoughts. I hope the feedback was in some way helpful.

So averagedog... Why did you spend nearly half an hour making this post when you could have been tending to your current Orassan colony that is literally surrounded by infestation? Another astounding questions Billy! Steam auto updated my game Q.Q When I reverted it back to A14 it broke all my mods and my base game. By the time I got it working again, the save file wouldn't load. So I decided to cut my losses and play on A15 for now on. In other words, I am waiting for CCL to update so Orassans can update, so I can give them smokeless and watch my Orassan colony get high. Also, please add catnip as a drug for A15 :P

Diana Winters

Quote from: averagedog on August 30, 2016, 11:06:37 AM
<snip>

The term space neko was a placeholder. The Orassans were originally intended to look more like the storyteller, but that proved more difficult than first thought. At the moment I'm trying to get/make a proper head texture, but the graphical style of Rimworld doesn't go well with what I had in mind, so making the new heads is proving to be rather difficult.

StyleDragonLP

Much luck with the textures i hope you get it done without problems and i hope you never lose you motivation for this mod keep it up and THANKS for this Awesome mod

Shinkai

Disclosure: I voted not to change the look buuuuuuut...

Ultimately I would still sub/download this mod even if it is changes more towards the "furry" look.

The current look is more my preference which is why I voted the way I did.

Diana Winters

Maviaux

Personally, I voted for the more catlike appearance simply because it would be something different.

Don't get me wrong, as they are currently they offer a lot in terms of difference from the base humans in Rimworld, but in the end they're still humans with adorable little ears and a tail. I've been an advent believer that Rimworld has needed more alien species to represent some intergalactic diversity and another tactical level of choices to make when recruiting people. The current Orassans provide that as is and I just think further differentiating them from humans is a step in the right direction.

Also, fantastic mod, thank you so much for your work on it.

Elodie

Out of curiosity, would it be difficult to make a kemonomimi version of the mod and a full anthropomorphic version of the mod for users to choose from? On one hand, I voted for keeping the more human look as that appeals to me more in the "Just barely not-human" kind of way. On the other hand, the last thing I would like is to impede on your artistic vision for your own mod.

So I thought, why not give people the choice? However, I also don't know much about modding this game, so I don't know how hard it would be to keep both aesthetics.

Piggeh

Personally, I voted 'No' due to the possibility of there being bestiality amongst my colonists. However, after looking through the thread I found that many people voted 'Yes' simply for the lore. I figured why not make some lore to go with that?

RimWorld takes place many millenniums later, at the point where humans have basically explored every planet possible. They have likely even tried to procreate with live mechanoids already, so why not have the intended aesthetics be for the actual Orassans, and the current design for a hybrid faction? The hybrid Orassans could be always friendly with the player due to sharing the same cultural heritage, and would be more than willing to trade Orassan technology for rare human goods.

Of course, this is merely just my opinion, but it would mean that both parties are pleased with the outcome. Might be a bit tricky to continue with this style if children get added, though.

Diana Winters

Quote from: Piggeh on August 31, 2016, 11:52:09 AM
Personally, I voted 'No' due to the possibility of there being bestiality amongst my colonists. However, after looking through the thread I found that many people voted 'Yes' simply for the lore. I figured why not make some lore to go with that?

RimWorld takes place many millenniums later, at the point where humans have basically explored every planet possible. They have likely even tried to procreate with live mechanoids already, so why not have the intended aesthetics be for the actual Orassans, and the current design for a hybrid faction? The hybrid Orassans could be always friendly with the player due to sharing the same cultural heritage, and would be more than willing to trade Orassan technology for rare human goods.

Of course, this is merely just my opinion, but it would mean that both parties are pleased with the outcome. Might be a bit tricky to continue with this style if children get added, though.

As I said before; No hybrids. That's not how genetics work. Not to mention I'd need to make another race, faction, and more assets. If I keep the neko look, they will still look like the storyteller (lore wise) and those who wish for the change will have to use their imaginations.

As for any progress being made; I need the heads. The method I'm using would only allow for one type of head, but it will have to do until something else is thought of.

Diana Winters

averagedog

It is my belief that any western internet user that likes cat girls but is not into the whole Japanese culture aspect of it are actually closet furries. Which is nothing to be ashamed of. Furries have technically existed for thousands of years. Just look at Egyptian History. It starts with an appreciation for anthropomorphic art of your favorite animal. Or perhaps it starts with Disney (Seriously Disney? Seriously?) But then... THEY GET YA and soon you will find yourself browsing art sharing websites like Tumblr, DeviantArt, InkBunny, Furaffinity...

But I kid.

I'm sure some people voted yes for the immersion/lore and the addition to game mechanics. Such as claws. Seriously. In one of my A14 games My brawler Orassan (with a bad back. is it just me or do Orassans have a penchant for having bad backs and spines?) when berserk and killed 3 of my human colonists and the entire husky family before he calmed down. He effectively ethnically cleansed the entire colony. I wish I still had the screenshots :(

StyleDragonLP

I think you should restart the vote and put a note there that everyone should First THINK about Their choice (just like the britians and americaner with their Brexit and Trump)