Volcanic Winter! How to survive this nightmare... If it is one...

Started by Naeem, July 28, 2016, 06:49:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Naeem

It is about 12:45AM over here when I get a message that says "volcanic winter" something else that says huge ashes will block the sky... blah blah blah... The planet will suffer.
OK! What does this mean? Will this event kill my whole colony or will it just be like a eclipse but only longer?

I would like some professional advice on how to deal with this.

Shurp

What kind of map are you playing on?  If you're already growing food in hydroponic tables on an ice sheet you'll barely notice the difference.  Bu if you're playing on a temperate forest be prepared for all your crops outside to die.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

Mutineer

Basically yes, you need to organised indoor food production as soon as possible. In addition temperature will be mach lower then usual at this time of year. so, you might need warmer clothes early then otherwise. It can last different amount of time, from couple mount to year.

Rust

Depends where you are. I'm in a Temperate Forest with a year round growing period. Temperatures dropped in the high 30s to mid 50s, but my crops are doing okay.

Naeem

Im playing in a Temperate Forest. My growing periods are from 11th spring to 1st fall. I noticed it was dark. So the outdoor crops all vanished. Nothing is growing outside  :'(!!! I only have about 4K corn in a freezer... I suppose it would last a long time. Does this volcanic winter only affect sunlight? I also noticed temperature change. Its getting hotter.

Daman453

I used tilled soil and when i got this event, it was growing good, i thought it was toxic fallout, major rush to do everything. Didn't effect anything. Chill event.
Quote from: StorymasterQ on February 02, 2016, 08:19:52 PM
For flu, try a cock. If that doesn't work, try boobmilk. Nice.