Grave problem

Started by autohost, February 27, 2014, 10:45:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

autohost

In Aleph2 when a grave is built, it defaults to all dead bodies, including animals.  I had killed some animals and expected them to be hauled to a small stockpile near my butcher area but they never showed up.  I moused over some graves I had built and found the animals there.  As soon as I Deconstructed the graves in question, the dead animals were hauled correctly.

I suggest that the default stockpile settings for graves should only be human and mechanoid bodies.  Or perhaps allow the player to click a check-box "Set as default for new graves."

Now that I've slept a few hours since playing the game, I realize that Yes, I could have put a higher priority on the butcher area stockpile, which would have solved the problem, but at the time I was just annoyed that animals would be buried in graves which I thought would be only for non-animal dead.  There are probably players who would expect that animals should be buried in graves.

Tynan

Hmmm, I just tried it and graves spawn with non-humanoid corpses disabled. Not sure what's happening. May be a bug.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

autohost

I just created a new game in Alpha2, mined some metal, then constructed several graves.  All of them default to all type corpses.  I've attached the 7zipped save game.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Dojii

Same here. New graves -> default to all type of corpses.

daft73

Seems to be the case, though easily fixed. Set your lists ;)

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Somethingfake

Confirming the problem as well. Odd though, as before the graves had simple buttons IIRC that had stranger corpses, colonist corpses and animal corpses and you could with just a click deny the grave to animal corpses.

Why do we have to do extra work when the previous way of doing it was quicker? In fact, why do we have graves for animals anyway, unless pets are an upcoming feature?  ;)

Tynan

Quote from: Somethingfake on February 28, 2014, 12:30:54 PM
Why do we have to do extra work when the previous way of doing it was quicker? In fact, why do we have graves for animals anyway, unless pets are an upcoming feature?  ;)

The old system was limited and hacky; made for one use case. The new system uses the storage code that drives everything in the game. So yeah, it's a matter of system consistency and reusability.

Anyway, I must have fixed this bug after locking A2.
Tynan Sylvester - @TynanSylvester - Tynan's Blog

Somethingfake

Will we get a little hotfix or will it be in the next proper update? Not making any demands, just curious.

Bodog999

Quote from: daft73 on February 28, 2014, 12:18:20 PM

You can do that but if you have to set every grave 1 by 1 to only dump humans and mechanoids you lose a lot of time. in the pre-alpha you just have to select a bunch of graves and use the buttons to set colonist stranger or animals which was a lot easier so than you have graves for animals separated from strangers and your little gravejard for colonists.

Thoughtless

A better option is to set a dump pile for dead bodies, surround it with the home zone and the set those bodies aflame. They burn up pretty quickly and you won't have your whole map covered in graves.

P.S. You'll need Molotov Cocktails.   

colonistPally

Quote from: daft73 on February 28, 2014, 12:18:20 PM

The muffalo know what to do with the grave problem... STOMP ON IT! }:)

Oops yeah I mean, this happens to me too. I haven't worked on the butcher block yet but I can see how that'd cause some added complication. I'm glad the code's harmonized now though.

daft73

This mod was made to solve the problem for now