1v1 (pvp) workaround possibly?

Started by colonistPally, March 01, 2014, 01:54:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

colonistPally

Okay I know we have been talking about how expensive co-op / pvp would be. I thought of a workaround. (HEY!! PUT YOUR PULSE RIFLES DOWN AND LISTEN!)

Until the raiders are coded to make bases, what if we did this.

Is there a way to let 2 people log into the same game (some kind of dual threading), let one person "debug" spawn and control raiders, and just let the other person build and colonize?

Then at least we could play some kind of castle siege ... thing...

I mean, it sounds insanely fun. And at least it's some form of multi player.

Plus we could record the games, upload them, and the strategy can be applied to the raider AI later. It'd cut down on people exploiting the raiders. The raiders would be smarter and more cunning instead of deathballs.. .. all kinds of fun stuff could come from it!

As soon as we got raider bases that'd count as an enemy base, that would be applied and we'd have relatively stable 1v1...

Thoughts opinions ideas? Is there a way to set a save file to thread two people in instead of one?

keylocke

Quote from: colonistPally on March 01, 2014, 01:54:29 AM
Okay I know we have been talking about how expensive co-op / pvp would be. I thought of a workaround. (HEY!! PUT YOUR PULSE RIFLES DOWN AND LISTEN!)

Until the raiders are coded to make bases, what if we did this.

Is there a way to let 2 people log into the same game (some kind of dual threading), let one person "debug" spawn and control raiders, and just let the other person build and colonize?

Then at least we could play some kind of castle siege ... thing...

I mean, it sounds insanely fun. And at least it's some form of multi player.

Plus we could record the games, upload them, and the strategy can be applied to the raider AI later. It'd cut down on people exploiting the raiders. The raiders would be smarter and more cunning instead of deathballs.. .. all kinds of fun stuff could come from it!

As soon as we got raider bases that'd count as an enemy base, that would be applied and we'd have relatively stable 1v1...

Thoughts opinions ideas? Is there a way to set a save file to thread two people in instead of one?

i was also thinking about how a PvP would work. the main problem seems to be griefing (see terraria/minecraft pvp for more context) so the idea i had was for restricting the ability to construct/deconstruct structures and zones to be limited by a certain radius within the vicinity of a player's initial spawn (an initial steam geyser along with mineable minerals is generated near a player spawn point).

to be able to increase a player's constructible area, they need to search for other steam geysers within the map (fow ftw) so they can create a secondary base there.

basically, the game will detect the owner of the generator placed on top of a steam geyser. if the player is the owner, then they are able to construct/deconstruct structures and assign zones within the radius of that geyser.

this should avoid the issue of griefing. and the only thing the map generator needs to ensure is that the geysers are spawned relatively distant from each other to avoid territory overlaps.

-edit : players should still be able to mine, hunt, and collect stuff beyond their territorial borders so it's awwright.

-edit2 : (inb4 chicken vs egg analogy) the only thing you can build outside of your territory is a geothermal generator. and generators can only be placed on top of steam geysers.

-edit3 : if you manage to capture an enemy base, then you don't have to destroy the entire base to gain ownership of the territory. all you have to do is destroy their generator and replace it with yours. then the ownership of that territory, along with all of the structures within will be transferred to the new owner.

-edit4 : as for pathfinding. your colonist AIs only recognizes the structures, zones, devices that are within your territory. they will ignore the structures/zones/devices that are placed on territories that you do not control.

colonistPally

Ah. I see what you mean.

Try to think about it much, much, much simpler.

I know you and I have similar mindsets. I would be like hey. Let's do some 1v1. Who wants to be the colony? And you want to. So I go okay. then I'll be the raiders.

We agree on like no rush 20 or something.. So you're messing around building whatever and we're chatting. I'm outfitting my squads and customizing them. You say you're ready and I say I'm ready and we just go at it. Then whoever yells stop first, LOSES! :-) Then if there's enough left to salvage we go back to our sides that we made up or whatever.

But yeah if you leave it up to the internet... obviously hell's bastard children will rise up just like they always do. But I imagine this just between like-minded people in an established community. :-) Maybe even just for testing... I don't know.