Getting started

Started by Bodog999, February 28, 2014, 05:36:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bodog999

IDK if this is already posted or not. If so say me.

Getting started, when you have got the game (any kind of reason bought, copied) you want to play it. Cuz thats why you buy it. So what do you do to play it well?
Step 1: When you are in the homescreen click on new colony.

Step 2: You choose for a storyteller (use chilly casandra classic)

Step 3: Chose your colonists and map size, when you choose your colonists if your not happy with them click on random you get a new one. You want a scientist for research a miner for mining ores and a settler which is a all-rounder.

Step 4: When you land click on architect and than click on orders and mine the yellow rock near your landing site (which is metal, you're gonna need that).

Step 5: If you want people doing jobs on priority click on overview (Bottom-Right) and than click on manual priorities (Upper-Left) with than lets you see numbers, by default only 4's. When you right-click on a square it sets the number higer. But when you click on a 4 the square has no number in it right-click again and you see a 1. That colonist will now do that work first and than goes to other ones if that job has nothing more left to do.

Step 6: After you've done all the other steps, you want to get power click on architect to get the little menu and than go to buildings where you are gonna see some buildings. If you see a geothermal vent nearby (a round black hole on the ground) you want to place a geothermal generator on it to get constant power (4000 W). Otherwise you want to place a solar panel. Note: if you only use solar panels you are gonna need batteries to get you trought the night.

Step 7: When you have your power you want to get food. In alpha 2 you can draft your colonists (click on them and press R, make sure they have a gun or it is gonna be melee). Then go to an animal and press F. Now you see a white circle around the colonist this is the range of the gun. When the animal is in range left-click on it to shoot it. After it died you want to haul it to your dumping stockpile or normal stockpile. You are gonna need a butchers table to butcher it. Note: when you have killed the animal you see a little X under it left click it and press F to allow it to be moved. Or build a nutrient paste dispenser you need to place hoppers near them and keep them filled, only then colonists can get nutriënt paste.

Step 8: You want to build your base protected and well. Almost all the times you spawn near a cliff (huge rock wall on an edge of the map, sometimes 2 and very rare 3). If your a new player I suggest you build your base in the mountain which gives you natural protection and you may find resources and sometimes underground geothermal vents/geysers. Protected power plants, very handy. But if you build in the cliff you are gonna have to clean up the place and keep the light in it. Otherwise colonists go insane and may leave your colony. If you think you are badass you build your base in the open area. Note: To build in the cliff use the mining order to mine the rocks out for your base.

Step 9: When you have desagnated the mining area where your base is gonna be, you want to be carefull cuz the roof may collapse if its too far away from any support like a wall/rock. When you mine out the area you want to make bedrooms for your colonists a kitchen and general room with a comms console to contact orbital traders a research bench to research and whatever you want to place in it. You may also want a inside growing area using hydroponics (needs to be researched) and you want to lay down carpets (also needs to be researched) in order to keep your colonists happy.

Step 10: You want to have some defence againsts raiders normally I use this
- or | Wall
X Sandbag

-XX--XX--XX--XX--XX-

You can also do this this way

|
X
X
|
X
X
|

If you want you can use turrets if you use them right. I would personally not use them cuz they are not balanced out yet.

For now I leave it here. Tell me what you think and mayby give some feedback.

Greetz,

Bodog999

daft73

This is a subject brought up frequently...here is the most recent check this out