Shared bedrooms

Started by Dregod, July 30, 2016, 12:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dregod

So everyone understands that all pawns require a bedroom and get a debuff if they share a bedroom with someone they do not intend to 'making love' with.

What i don't understand is that certain pawns would be used to shared accomadation namely... Soldiers, miners and slaves/sex slaves. People who have a low expectation of life would not be bothered about having a shared bedroom either.

Now i'm not saying they should receive no boost for having there own room, they should still get a boost but shouldn't have a de buff for having a shared accomadation.

Any thoughts or opinions on this matter?

Kagemusha12

Hm, nope ... I don't think that the debuff should completely vanish for people like soldiers or miners.

No matter how much people are used to living in a shared bedroom, fact still remains that in a shared bunroom they are housed in rather tight accomodations with no room to retreat, no matter how much tensions there exist between themmselves and their room mates.

I would say, however, that the amount of debuff should be dependant on the relationship between the room mates.
Means:
If all room mates like each other (i.e. social standing of +50 between all of them) the debuff should be minimal but it should rise the less the room, mates like each other.

To be more exactly:
Tjhe shared bedroom debuff (for all room mates) should be determined by the lowest relationship of any of the room mates (why? because even room mates that aren't involved in quarrels of any other room mate will get amnnoyed by having to be witness of those quarrels and therefore have their mood decrease)

Example:
A, B and C share a bedroom.
A has relationship 100 (and vice versa) with B and C.
B and C however don't like each other (and both have -30 relationship towards each other)
-> A, B and C get a shared bedroom debuff of -10 (A, because he cannot flee from the quarreling between B and C and B and C, of course, because they have to share a bedroom with each other)

If A, B and C would be best buddies and each had +50 relationship, the debuff would only be -3

Shian

Quote from: Dregod on July 30, 2016, 12:46:35 PM
What i don't understand is that certain pawns would be used to shared accomadation namely... Soldiers. People who have a low expectation of life would not be bothered about having a shared bedroom either.
Now i'm not saying they should receive no boost for having there own room, they should still get a boost but shouldn't have a de buff for having a shared accomadation.

Any thoughts or opinions on this matter?

Let me tell you about a certain time in my life.

"Coffin racks" are appropriately named and there's 149 other idiots doing all kinds of stupid crap at all hours. Have fun those first two weeks where you have to learn how to sleep through 149 alarms that aren't yours. Is that something to "not be bothered about"?

Oh, and since they all have nothing better to do, every tiny thing you do is on the radar.
Got a bad habit? Of course you do! Everyone has at least one! It'll be the subject of gossip and ridicule for years to come since most people join the service after High School and literally never grow out of that mentality.

YES. Living together sucks. Living in cramped quarters sucks. I would not do that again ever for any amount of money. Even when I stopped living on the ship and went to barracks where there was only two people per room it sucked. Do I have to depend on these people for my survival? Yes I did. Don't piss off cooks, storekeeps, postal, or IT people when you are 6+ months out at sea. If a fire starts, you're all just fucked so get along and work together. Because you'll die otherwise.

Can you live with something like this? Probably. People are pretty adaptable. Would you be perfectly fine sharing a room with 150 other people? I can't imagine a single human who would, even those that have the lowest of standards. Privacy is a real human need.

Rimworld +1 to realism