[A14]Edge Technologies[OLD]

Started by RalphFox, July 31, 2016, 12:01:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RalphFox

The original author has returned! i'll be helping him in making the mod =)

https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=18600.0

[spoiler]
Hello all, my second post here; I really wished to try the mod of Edge Technologies, and seeing the author MIA for a couple months i decided to try to update it, even without any experience on rimworld modding(i have a lot of experience in coding(jobs, freelancers, etc);

Good news!: I've got the greenlight to update this mod from chaotix14 himself! He told me he might come back in some time, thought.

Download:
Quote from: chaotix14 on April 10, 2016, 07:07:40 AM
!!!WARNING!!! If you've already build a robot mining complex on a 0.16 or earlier build do not update to 0.20, or you'll waste 20 of the mining robots you put into making the robot mining complex.
Downloads

You can use the mod in an existing game too.

How to install
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Edge Technologies

Description
Currently the mod contains a sustainable method of gathering metals, a new power gen option, the ability to make new farmland and a couple extra metals(platinum, cobalt, titanium and titanalloy).

Updates
-0.1: Added robot mining complex, alloy forge, titanium, platinum, cobalt and titanalloy.
-0.11: Small balance of the mining complex. Added about section(derp, giant derp).
-0.12: Added the flickable and breakdown comps to the mining complex.
-0.13: Buffed the mining complex a bit more, made it a bit harder to turn a loss on using it. I'd still advise to keep colonists with low stone cutting speed away from it.
-0.14: Reworked the mining complex. The price up front is a lot higher requiring a lot of steel, components and a bit of plasteel, but removed the mining robots as fuel(they are now in the constructions recipe) and upped the power requirement to 4kW(just over what a geothermal produces). Didn't feel right to have the mining robots basically get broken that quickly nor did I want to make them incredibly expensive or hard to make(at least for now). Added a new bench the robotics bench, unlocked with the robotics tech and as you might guess this is where you make your mining robots currently. Added robotics as an item, currently only an intermediate product for making mining robots.
-0.15: Added missing workgiver.
-0.16: Added the bioreactor, the biogenerator, ethanol(uses beer textures for now) and compost. Now you can turn your food into power for your base, and create new farmland(except on deep water). Both will probably need a bit of balancing.
-0.17: Rebalanced the robot mining complex, now costs only 10 mining robots(so a quarter of the previous cost), but also mines at 25% speed(and only takes 1000W of power). Added mining robot bay, increases the mining speed of adjacent mines by 25% and a max of 9 of these can be placed around any mine(for a total speed of 250%). All in all a 100% speed mine will still take 4000W power and 40 mining robots, but is now split in smaller and more affordable steps. Rebalanced robotics and mining robot production times.
-0.18: Added the ability to turn off the power for the robot mining bays. Some small background changes to hopefully improve mod compatibility.
-0.19: Rebalance once more doubled up the mining robot cost and power draw of the mining complex, and increased the working speed to 50%.
-0.20: Fixed bioreactor recipes.
-0.20.1: Updated to v14.

Authors
Mining robots, robotics, robotics bench and bioreactor textures: Mrofa.
Robot mining complex: JoeysLucky22.
Updated to v14 by RalphFox
The rest: Chaotix14

Future plans
- Balancing.
- Bash head against texture work. Which is currently the limiting factor in getting stuff done.
- High tech power solutions.
- More techy end game stuff.

licence
This mod is free therefore I require that any derivatives of this mod are free as well.
This mod may be added to any modpack as desired. Derivatives of this mod must contain significant changes and a different name.
If you publish a derivative of this mod or add this to a publicly available modpack attribute the original authors. And I request that you let me know about it.
[/spoiler]
Someone: You have no idea what you're doing, do you?
Me: Yeah! isn't that exciting?

Maintaining Officially to v14:
Edge Technologies
Cupro's SOGA

viperwasp

•  Lian Li Lancool II MESH RGB
•  Intel Core i7-12700K Alder Lake 12-Core
•  64 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600Mhz
•  WD Black SN850 2TB GEN4
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS
•  RTX 4080 GIGABYTE Gaming OC 16GB
•  Dark Rock Pro 4 (CPU Cooler)
•  TUF Gaming Z690-Plus- WIFI D4

Raccoon

Can i simply add a Recipe to your Miner? Without Problems?

123nick

is this mod a bit OP? i mean, it seems like you can just get resources out of nothing but power and time. maybe have it take a bit of coolant, which can be gotten from a number of ways? like maybe deconstruction ancient cryptosleep caskets from ruins will yield some coolant, or maybe it can be bought from trader?

RalphFox

Again, friendly reminder, this mod is not mine, i'm simply updating it =)

Quote from: viperwasp on July 31, 2016, 12:31:42 PM
Thanks I will be getting this mod in the future.
Thanks, please report any bugs =)

Quote from: Raccoon on July 31, 2016, 05:23:46 PM
Can i simply add a Recipe to your Miner? Without Problems?
I think so, from what i have analyzed you have to add the recipe to the recipes.xml, and then add it to the miner, in the buildings.xml ; although, if you want a bit more of challenge you can make two resources giving your third recipe in the alloy smelter

Quote from: 123nick on July 31, 2016, 05:36:05 PM
is this mod a bit OP? i mean, it seems like you can just get resources out of nothing but power and time. maybe have it take a bit of coolant, which can be gotten from a number of ways? like maybe deconstruction ancient cryptosleep caskets from ruins will yield some coolant, or maybe it can be bought from trader?
From what i have analyzed, the mod requires you to build a specific workbench and robots(components), in order to be able to make the miner work; but yes, it would be only power and time; i'll be analyzing this mod deeper and maybe add the necessity to have the machine supplied with ethanol; I still have to read the old thread to check all the ideas, suggestions from others, and his replies to the mod, to see the intended direction of this mod;
Please check the changelog, the original author rebalanced the mod a bit, so the cost for running it might be better now;

EDIT: This mod don't require CCL, i derped, sorry for that.

Edge Technologies
Cupro's SOGA

123nick

a cool suggestion too balance the miner- you know how it uses "mining robots" as a component in building it? well, maybe you can have an event where the mining robots rebel for whatever reason, and mining robots spawn next too the miner that are hostile. it might balance it out maybe :)

blongo

Too bad it doesn't use the mining skill. It would be nice if the mining skill had a use late game, like every other skill. Seriously tho, If your in plains, you don't even need good miners. Making it require mining skill would make it so that your experience miners have some where to go when all the rocks get mined out :P , instead of them just losing their job.

JesusKreist

Quote from: blongo on August 01, 2016, 02:15:22 AM
Too bad it doesn't use the mining skill. It would be nice if the mining skill had a use late game, like every other skill. Seriously tho, If your in plains, you don't even need good miners. Making it require mining skill would make it so that your experience miners have some where to go when all the rocks get mined out :P , instead of them just losing their job.
You may want to check Curopandas Quarry. That's essentially a ... well quarry which works by spawning Mining Jobs via the bill system and nets random results.

viperwasp

I have been using this mod consistently for every A13 modded game and I honest like it the way it is. Well some improvements would be nice. But I don't mind that it's a little imba. I defiantly don't want it to be random resources like Quarry. If it used mining skill that would be cool but hard to overall balance or implement in my opinion unless higher mining skill = less time to complete each job then sure but it's already SUPER FAST once you build the max number of robots per mining unit you can surround the whole building and really increase the speed.

So my suggestions would be...
a) Do not make it give random resources. Keep it as is with selected resources.
b) Still allow you to build robots to attach to unit to increase speed and don't decrease the limit.
c) If you could slow it down for lower levels and increase speeds for higher level mining then sure I'm all for that.
d) I would be open for a fair balance change I kind of like the idea that the robots could rebel and attack but that's sometimes an issue of it's own and really changes how this mod works. 

Maybe you could lock it by research until late game. Make the research higher level I honestly forget what type of research this mod needs if any. But late game I don't see a problem with this mod. So prevent users from accessing the full mod until later in research could be proper balance.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

JesusKreist

What I meant was: If the mining skill of colonists should be taken into account to not make that skill useless in the late game look at quarry.
Essentially this mining method has nothing to do with the colonists or their skills.
The mining has a serious investment in time, ressources and workforce before it is useable. From my perspective it is a tad on the imbalanced side but in the limitations of being believeable.

RalphFox

Quote from: 123nick on August 01, 2016, 01:30:09 AM
a cool suggestion too balance the miner- you know how it uses "mining robots" as a component in building it? well, maybe you can have an event where the mining robots rebel for whatever reason, and mining robots spawn next too the miner that are hostile. it might balance it out maybe :)
That's actually a funny/nice idea haha; I'll consider how to implement it.

Quote from: blongo on August 01, 2016, 02:15:22 AM
That is actually a good idea.. And justified, after you strip down your map you get nothing else to do with them; And i think the mod don't consider higher stats, i might add it so higher mining skills = better yield chance.
Hmmm.. after checking the logic better, the miner's name is "robot miner", so that's the reason for the crafting, instead of the mining; I might leave the required lvl 5 min crafting, and if the person has mining above 10, use that to enhance the extra yield.(Because the operator would know how to operate the robots to mine better)

Quote from: JesusKreist on August 01, 2016, 02:30:29 AM
You may want to check Curopandas Quarry. That's essentially a ... well quarry which works by spawning Mining Jobs via the bill system and nets random results.
The only problem i seen so far with cupro's is that you need a new save game for it :/(there's some problems with the current quarry version) and i got a fancy colony that i can't give up; other than that is a pretty good mod. =)

Quote from: viperwasp on August 01, 2016, 08:20:44 AM
I have been using this mod consistently for every A13 modded game and I honest like it the way it is. Well some improvements would be nice. But I don't mind that it's a little imba. I defiantly don't want it to be random resources like Quarry. If it used mining skill that would be cool but hard to overall balance or implement in my opinion unless higher mining skill = less time to complete each job then sure but it's already SUPER FAST once you build the max number of robots per mining unit you can surround the whole building and really increase the speed.

So my suggestions would be...
a) Do not make it give random resources. Keep it as is with selected resources.
b) Still allow you to build robots to attach to unit to increase speed and don't decrease the limit.
c) If you could slow it down for lower levels and increase speeds for higher level mining then sure I'm all for that.
d) I would be open for a fair balance change I kind of like the idea that the robots could rebel and attack but that's sometimes an issue of it's own and really changes how this mod works. 

Maybe you could lock it by research until late game. Make the research higher level I honestly forget what type of research this mod needs if any. But late game I don't see a problem with this mod. So prevent users from accessing the full mod until later in research could be proper balance.
a)I kinda like the idea that it gives exactly what you want, but i might add it so if you use an not so skilled person, it would fail sometimes, like the "harvest chance fail" when you're harvesting something.
b)I've gotta test this better, but i think that making the robots start to break(like a tool that breaks after some use) would be better.
c)That would be a good idea mixed with a), although i might follow the fixed crafting 5 and then the mining skills would influence(0-20), i have to check if i am able to do that;
d)rebel MIGHT be a good idea, although it would yes change how the mod works; to balance it i might remove the need for the minimum crafting 5, and if the person has less than 5, the person might mishandle the robot and sent it in a killing frenzy;

So, i think this is the way to go for now:
-Require fuel to use the robotic mine
-Maybe require an AI core to make the mine (for the less adventurous, you can craft it with other mods if i'm not mistaken)
-Have the Mining skill influence the miner, negatively if below 5 and positively if above 5

This would be a later implementation, because i think i'd need to 'hack in' the dll:
-Make that adding robots speed up the mine, but the more robots, the higher the crafting skill is needed, and if you don't have enough crafting skill for the current amount of the robots, it would allow the robots to be rebellious

Considering the a,b,c,d and the 'way to go for now', what you people think? that would make the mod more challenging and fun, or it'll add too much complexity?

I might also add a manual quarry that would give you the resources, albeit slowly.. for early game; I'm still considering that;

There's also the suggestion from the other thread i have to consider also..
Quote from: Nerve on May 07, 2016, 07:13:12 PM
Ethanol production is extremely inefficient for the work put into it compared to fuel or other types of power generation.  Please consider making it in bulk or reducing work amount.

Edge Technologies
Cupro's SOGA

viperwasp

Manual Quarry? There is already a pretty good Quarry Mod at https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13400.0 
The only thing is that if you made your own Quarry mod then it could give you resources from Edge Technologies I guess. The exclusive resources.

But if you get conferable modding and plan to stick around.  I see that Quarry has other mod support.

Mod Ores:
Copper (if CorePanda is installed)
Quartz (if CorePanda is installed)
Glowstone (if Powerless! is installed)
Coldstone (if Powerless! is installed)
Rose Gold (if Cupro's Alloys is installed)
Coal (if Mechanical Defence 2 is installed, pending update)
Copper (if Industrialisation is installed)
Aluminium (if Industrialisation is installed)
Silicon (if Glitter Tech is installed)
Titanium (if Glitter Tech is installed)

So maybe you could write a patch mod to add this mods resources to that list or see if cuproPanda would include Edge Technologies as the possible modded ore. These are only suggestions and even if you included your own Quarry it would be fine that way. But a lot of people use parts or all of the Panda mod set that all seems to function together and if they use that set and Edge Technologies there will be two quarry in the build menu that may complicate things.  If it were me though I would leave CuproPanda and Quarry out of the picture until I was sure that I was going to be planning to mod Edge Technologies long term and conferable with all of it.

Finally, if your feeling up to it maybe the mining machine from Edge Technologies can be coded to support other mods exclusive resources like CuproPanda's Quarry does. I don't use CuproPanda core but I do use Quarry standalone, ONLY because Edge Technologist was not being updated. Going forward I may drop Quarry as I hate random resource gathering. Thanks keep up the great work.

P.S
I'm not sure how much you understand about two mods using the same exclusive resource. Both this mod Edge and Glitterworld use Titanium and I'm not sure were this was posted but I feel like one of the modders answered a question about this? And whatever mod had higher priority in mod order would be the titanium used. But both mods recipes would work either way. So if glitterworld was priority Titanium would look and function like Titanium from Glitterworld but Edge could still use that item for it's recipes. and if Edge had priority then Glitterworlds recipes could use the Titanium from this mod. I'm not sure if that has changed but last I knew that's how it worked. But I could be wrong.
•  2x WD Black 8TB
•  Windows 10 OS

Cmoa666

For the support of other ressources, you just must add a recipe of the actual ressource wanted (lot of copy-paste).
For the ressources used in multiple mods, it is always the last in the order who is used, but only if the ressources (or items) have the exact same name. for example, cupropanda core and Industrialisation use both "Copper", but the first is named "CP_copper" and the other "Copper", so you have 2 different "Copper" if you use both.

RalphFox

Good news!: I've got the greenlight to update this mod from chaotix14 himself! He told me he might come back in some time, thought.

Quote from: viperwasp on August 03, 2016, 08:18:47 AM
Manual Quarry? There is already a pretty good Quarry Mod at https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=13400.0 
The only thing is that if you made your own Quarry mod then it could give you resources from Edge Technologies I guess. The exclusive resources.

But if you get conferable modding and plan to stick around.  I see that Quarry has other mod support.

Mod Ores:
Copper (if CorePanda is installed)
Quartz (if CorePanda is installed)
Glowstone (if Powerless! is installed)
Coldstone (if Powerless! is installed)
Rose Gold (if Cupro's Alloys is installed)
Coal (if Mechanical Defence 2 is installed, pending update)
Copper (if Industrialisation is installed)
Aluminium (if Industrialisation is installed)
Silicon (if Glitter Tech is installed)
Titanium (if Glitter Tech is installed)

So maybe you could write a patch mod to add this mods resources to that list or see if cuproPanda would include Edge Technologies as the possible modded ore. These are only suggestions and even if you included your own Quarry it would be fine that way. But a lot of people use parts or all of the Panda mod set that all seems to function together and if they use that set and Edge Technologies there will be two quarry in the build menu that may complicate things.  If it were me though I would leave CuproPanda and Quarry out of the picture until I was sure that I was going to be planning to mod Edge Technologies long term and conferable with all of it.

Finally, if your feeling up to it maybe the mining machine from Edge Technologies can be coded to support other mods exclusive resources like CuproPanda's Quarry does. I don't use CuproPanda core but I do use Quarry standalone, ONLY because Edge Technologist was not being updated. Going forward I may drop Quarry as I hate random resource gathering. Thanks keep up the great work.

P.S
I'm not sure how much you understand about two mods using the same exclusive resource. Both this mod Edge and Glitterworld use Titanium and I'm not sure were this was posted but I feel like one of the modders answered a question about this? And whatever mod had higher priority in mod order would be the titanium used. But both mods recipes would work either way. So if glitterworld was priority Titanium would look and function like Titanium from Glitterworld but Edge could still use that item for it's recipes. and if Edge had priority then Glitterworlds recipes could use the Titanium from this mod. I'm not sure if that has changed but last I knew that's how it worked. But I could be wrong.
A Patch does looks good, thanks for the suggestion, because if people would want to have the resources, they could add; This mod might be better than cupro's because his quarry needs a new save, so what i might do is create a patch that anyone can drop in the mod's folder to update the mining list, or create options to enable/disable ores;
On the resources list, yes, i've read on the previous thread that indeed compatible with the glitterworld mod, as long as i keep the same name;

Quote from: Cmoa666 on August 03, 2016, 09:18:41 AM
For the support of other ressources, you just must add a recipe of the actual ressource wanted (lot of copy-paste).
For the ressources used in multiple mods, it is always the last in the order who is used, but only if the ressources (or items) have the exact same name. for example, cupropanda core and Industrialisation use both "Copper", but the first is named "CP_copper" and the other "Copper", so you have 2 different "Copper" if you use both.
Thanks! I've thought that it should be something around the lines. I'll keep in mind the quarry's differences between copper and cr_copper, maybe even add both, since you can mine exact quantities.

Edge Technologies
Cupro's SOGA

haby001

Thanks for the mod! There is a mod mismatch from the A14 version. It says that mod version is "Unkown"