[1.5-1.0] Tech Advancing (1.9.10)

Started by GHXX, July 31, 2016, 04:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GHXX

Quote from: Spiders Everywhere on June 29, 2017, 12:04:17 AM
Is it possible to make it so you can configure the percentage of techs you need to research to get to the next tech level? I play tribal and use a lot of mods, and a lot of mod authors like to add techs to unlock every little thing, which can really add up in terms of research time. If I could set it to go up a tech level when I've researched, say, 90% of the current tech level's projects, I could leave a few "500 research points for fancy hats" techs for later. As it stands I've actually abandoned mods I otherwise liked for adding too much low-tech research.

I am not sure about that one. The config is pretty cluttered already. I would say I'll add it if more people want that. Sorry :-\

MMAciek

Great work, GHXX! It is fantastic mod! I maked polish version, is here -> https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=34212.0

Stand among the millions of dead souls and ask them if they honor means something. Silence will be your answer.

GHXX

stigma

I'm having a little bit of trouble getting this mod to trigger, and I'm not quite sure if I am encountering a bug, incompatibility or am just misunderstanding something.

I've read through the rules and try to get a neolithic tribe to advance to medieval by researching all neolithic tech. Tribes start with most of it - so as far as I can tell it's only devilstrand and brewing that you need to research to finish that tier - but it doesn't seem to do anything.

- I've poured over the research tree to make sure there aren't more neolithic tech
- The only other mod I can think of that could do anything with that research function is maybe research-pal (is any incompatibility with this known?)
- I don't have the optional rule for requiring non-tribal members activated
- A few research topics added by mods don't seem to indicate a tech-level at all (in research-pal at least). Is there any chance these could be messing things up - like if they had a techlevel of 0 or something by default?

Is there anything else I am forgetting to check here? I'd like to verify this works ok before I start a new playthrough so I don't get frustrated halfway through and have to restart.

BY the way - I think the idea of the previous poster to let the percentages of required tech to advance be user-definable is a pretty good one. If it's not too much of a problem to implement I think it would make the mod considerably better.

I also think that some version of this really should be part of the main game - but that's a separate topic I guess. Consider posting in Tynan's thread about mod integration. If the base game had tech advancement it would sure help a lot in making sure research overall was balanced since would be a single standard to adhere to.

EDIT: I found the source of the problem, and it does not seem to be the fault of this mod. I was using research pal, and it seems like it had some problems with some research added by mods and was displaying them on top of eachother - so in essence hiding some additional neolithic research stuff. Once I finished those in my testing the techlevel raised as expected.

-Stigma

stigma

Soupy Delicious

I think Tynan made the tech level 'system' the way it is so that, when making their desired scenario, someone can choose to play the role of a slow-researching faction, or a faster one.  Basically, difficulty modes, no?

As in, it's not at all the same situation as in games like Civ.  The tech levels are fluff, is what Im suggesting, and that he intended for them to act as difficulty levels.

sidfu

sometimes this error comes up. think kinda major and keep mod from advanceing the player

Could not find player faction.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
RimWorld.Faction:get_OfPlayer()
GHXXTechAdvancing._ResearchManager:RecalculateTechlevel(Boolean, Boolean)
GHXXTechAdvancing.Event:onKill()
TechAdvancing.TA_OnKill_Event:Postfix(Nullable`1)
Verse.Pawn:Kill_Patch2(Object, Nullable`1)
RimWorldChildren.ChildCode:_CheckForStateChange(Pawn_HealthTracker, Nullable`1, Hediff)
Verse.Pawn_HealthTracker:Notify_HediffChanged(Hediff)
Verse.Hediff:set_Severity(Single)
Verse.HediffGiver_Birthday:SimulateSeverityChange(Pawn, Hediff, Single, Boolean)
Verse.HediffGiver_Birthday:TryApplyAndSimulateSeverityChange(Pawn, Single, Boolean)
RimWorld.AgeInjuryUtility:GenerateRandomOldAgeInjuries(Pawn, Boolean)
Verse.PawnGenerator:GenerateInitialHediffs(Pawn, PawnGenerationRequest)
Verse.PawnGenerator:TryGenerateNewNakedPawn(PawnGenerationRequest&, String&, Boolean)
Verse.PawnGenerator:GenerateNewNakedPawn(PawnGenerationRequest&)
Verse.PawnGenerator:GeneratePawn_Patch2(PawnGenerationRequest)
Verse.PawnGenerator:GeneratePawn(PawnKindDef, Faction)
RimWorld.Faction:GenerateNewLeader()
RimWorld.FactionGenerator:NewGeneratedFaction(FactionDef)
RimWorld.FactionGenerator:GenerateFactionsIntoWorld()
RimWorld.Planet.WorldGenStep_Factions:GenerateFresh(String)
RimWorld.Planet.WorldGenerator:GenerateWorld(Single, String, OverallRainfall, OverallTemperature)
RimWorld.Page_CreateWorldParams:<CanDoNext>m__615()
Verse.LongEventHandler:RunEventFromAnotherThread(Action)
Verse.LongEventHandler:<UpdateCurrentAsynchronousEvent>m__84C()

GHXX

Quote from: Soupy Delicious on July 15, 2017, 01:02:55 PM
I think Tynan made the tech level 'system' the way it is so that, when making their desired scenario, someone can choose to play the role of a slow-researching faction, or a faster one.  Basically, difficulty modes, no?

As in, it's not at all the same situation as in games like Civ.  The tech levels are fluff, is what Im suggesting, and that he intended for them to act as difficulty levels.
That might be the case, but a lot of players dislike the way it is right now and want to be able to bump up their techlevel, because when installing more mods that add more and more researchprojects having that x3+ multiplier really increases the amount of research points required. If people prefer the old way they can just disable/unsubscribe from/uninstall  this mod :)

Quote from: sidfu on July 16, 2017, 01:03:52 AM
sometimes this error comes up. think kinda major and keep mod from advanceing the player

Could not find player faction.
Verse.Log:Error(String)
GHXXTechAdvancing._ResearchManager:RecalculateTechlevel(Boolean, Boolean)
GHXXTechAdvancing.Event:onKill()
TechAdvancing.TA_OnKill_Event:Postfix(Nullable`1)
[...]

Looks like thats some of Tynans code that might not work: "Faction.OfPlayer.def.techLevel"
That code should always work. What other mods do you have installed? just send a screenshot or something so you dont have to type it out. Thanks!

sidfu

@GHXX that error pops up on world gen when u gen world. it seems to be tied to seed of world. for example i took and kep gen the same seed over and over it didnt happen but when i keep doing random till i found a seed it happened on it happen every time on that world gen seed.

here 1 seed it happens on for u to check.     penguin

[attachment deleted by admin due to age]

Tebix

I have graphic errors using. I discovered two:

• Option menu and tooltip(when leaving parent window) only show the background blur.
  • Some needs window doesn't show the modifer and the mood bar is unmarked. 
EDIT: Nevermind the error was caused from an outdated mod which I installed in the same instance but forgot later on(it was quit late.

GHXX

Quote from: sidfu on July 16, 2017, 12:03:59 PM
@GHXX that error pops up on world gen when u gen world. it seems to be tied to seed of world. for example i took and kep gen the same seed over and over it didnt happen but when i keep doing random till i found a seed it happened on it happen every time on that world gen seed.

here 1 seed it happens on for u to check.     penguin

Thats quite interesting. My mod doesn't do anything seed-related so that might be some vanilla issue..

Oblitus

What happens when you call it while player has no faction yet? Exception, ofc. Use OfPlayerSilentFail.

stigma

Quote from: Soupy Delicious on July 15, 2017, 01:02:55 PM

Trust me when I say that tech advancement in no way makes tribals "fast", or "as fast", or even "not horribly slow" at research =P

Tribals with the vanilla system start slow and then get AGONIZINGLY slow at later levels as everythign started to require 3x and 4x research. You need 3-4 researchers to get anywhere. It's not fun IMO, and the reason why a lot of people got turned of tribals because you just never seem to get anywhere and eventually get totally bottlenecked by it.

As soon as tech levels made it into the game I felt that this was missing immediately in order for the curve to be somewhat smooth.
To each his own though.

-Stigma

stigma

Ok I have some practical feedback after using this in my latest run.
Something fairly critical that is missing...

We really need some sort of counter of "remaining XXXTECHLEVEL projects" counter, or even better - a list or just SOMETHING to help you find remaining projects that you need to finish for a level.

Because the main problem I have is that I have to spend AGES pouring over all the research and try to find that one last research project that is required for me to advance. There is no way to see this easily. Research pal does tell you in the popup-text, but you still have to read every research option to find out - and its just a nightmare... not this mods fault pr se. but it makes it super impractical, doubly so with mods installed that add their own projects that you can't easily just wiki or whatever.

-Stigma

jpnm92

First of all. Daddy I love you.

Second of all, is there a way i can make it so the second rule is the default one?
A small change i would like to make so i don't have to edit the config every time i start a new game.

If you could do that you would be my 3rd favorite streamer ever, I also would send pasta to that kid in Sweden and did you know that talon is responsible for 25% of first bloods?