[1.5-1.0] Tech Advancing (1.9.10)

Started by GHXX, July 31, 2016, 04:53:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blackraven6

Yeah) That is exactly, what I'm using right now. But sadly small mods, that add 1-3 thing usually tend to over-clutter the main tech tab instead of having their own. If only everybody, who doesn't want to make their own tabs used the same Misc tab, that stack up all the tables mods. Ah, wet dreams. For example, mods like turret collection(not to mix up with Definitely more cannons) adds like 4 additional industrial techs in the main tree, armor racks adds 2, if I recall. Just two mods - plus 6 techs to get to spacer and like 7-8 more to solidify spacer via 50% rule(till the time mods add something spacer in the main tech tree). Actually it won't be hard to make your own list if by default there will be only vanilla techs from the main tab to start with and then you can add or delete as you like. And even if making "from scratch" it's not that long to make a list, because you can add just the pinnacles of your tech branches. Lets say multianalizer tech cover about 1/3 of the whole tech before spacer, so you can add like 5 per tier and cover pretty much everything vanilla. I get your point about everybody's being lazy(I actually had no idea, that there's some additional hidden options on game start. Having tech to build generators from the start is sooo cheaty), but giving an option to choose is like the foundation stone of the whole modding. This mod is like infinite times better, than vanilla nothing, so it's great as is, but I don't think I'll be the only one to appreciate this function. Anyway, I hanged out the idea in the air, so it's your choice to go for it or not. Thx for the mod anyway  :)

GHXX

Ill be honest with you, it does sound like a good chunk of work to get it working as you describe, so i dont think its going to happen unfortunately. But who knows, maybe one day :P

Thanks for suggesting it though.

Blackraven6

I'm not familiar with C(only Lua-ish game engines) and Rimworld modding, so I have no idea how much of a work this'll take, but I appreciate, that you spend time to get the feedback and ideas ;) Like you said, maybe one day.

Blackraven6

Ohhh. Actually one more question. If I manage to understand how this whole thing works and add a standalone mod with a "rule"(not the list I've mentioned, something a lot simpler and smaller), that makes the tech level advance - will it still be compatible with your mod? Does it have to depend on it, or I can just add my own script, that will change tech level to what I want parallel to your rules? Hope my question makes sense. I don't need to use translators, though it's kinda hard to form my idea around some special terms  :-X

GHXX

Uuuhh, you could make it a standalone mod, or i could possibly add an API that lets you quite easily add custom rules via mods. Also the programming language that rimworld was made in is C#.

Edit: If we went the API route then your mod would need to depend on techadvancing.

Blackraven6

Oh, ok. I'll try to dig in it than. There's no point bothering you for compatibility tweaks, if I won't be able to pull off this.

Blackraven6

BTW I can provide Russian localization if you need one. I don't really see the point, but there's usually someone wining about mods not supporting their local languages.

GHXX

Quote from: Blackraven6 on September 03, 2020, 03:56:02 AM
BTW I can provide Russian localization if you need one. I don't really see the point, but there's usually someone wining about mods not supporting their local languages.

I have actually just merge the russian translation into the project. Im guessing that was you?

Blackraven6

Nope. Guess someone of fellow translators was faster to upload. Gonna check it out though, in case someone just google translated the whole thing.
UPD at first glance there are few mistypes, missing letters and a few funky things.

Blackraven6

You can use mine, if you'd like, cause fixing this half-machine translated one almost equals typing the whole thing again.

GHXX

Could you submit it as a pull-request on github? https://github.com/RimWorldMod/Tech-Advancing
That way its easy to keep track of who changed what

Blackraven6

Ok. Not sure how to do that, but I'll figure out.

Blackraven6

I think I did it. I'm confused, did I answer your message? I think I sent it and it just vanished. Do I have to be able to see the reply there?

Canute

When you take a look at
https://github.com/RimWorldMod/Tech-Advancing/pulls
you see your request.
Now you just need to wait that he accept it.

GHXX

Quote from: Blackraven6 on September 05, 2020, 07:41:46 AM
I think I did it. I'm confused, did I answer your message? I think I sent it and it just vanished. Do I have to be able to see the reply there?

You havent replied to my second personal message, no. Your pullrequest is on hold for now until you reply :P