Untreated Illness

Started by ahowe42, October 18, 2016, 09:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ahowe42

Why is an infection marked as "untreated" when a colonist is set to bed rest in a hospital bed, getting regular medicine, and a doctor is regularly caring for him/her?

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: ahowe42 on October 18, 2016, 09:39:03 AM
Why is an infection marked as "untreated" when a colonist is set to bed rest in a hospital bed, getting regular medicine, and a doctor is regularly caring for him/her?

Because those illnesses need treating every "x" number of hours. X being different number of hours for different diseases. When you see a pawn that has untreated in the description, mouse hover over that, and you will see more information. After getting another treatment, hover in the same spot and you will see how long until the next treatment will be required. (at which point it will go back to untreated)

ahowe42

Hmm.  Won't my doctors automatically know this, though?

mrKafe

They know but they may and will often prioritize other tasks such as sleeping over treating your untreated colonists which will result in the disease advancing quiker to the extreme status and your colonist having a higher chance to end up dying. Whenever any pawn is sick with an infection or disease you need to micromanage and closely control treatment times to ensure they get the treatment as soon as the timer finishes.

Spectre

What you can do if you need a doctor's constant supervision is build a small freezer on the side of the hospital, fill it with food and medicine and lock the doctor in the hospital. All they will do is feed, treat, eat, clean, cheer up patients and sleep. I often do this when plague hits or some other lethal disease.
Holding hands whilst the walls come tumbling down.

RemingtonRyder

ahowe42

Quote from: Spectre on October 18, 2016, 12:23:56 PM
What you can do if you need a doctor's constant supervision is build a small freezer on the side of the hospital, fill it with food and medicine and lock the doctor in the hospital. All they will do is feed, treat, eat, clean, cheer up patients and sleep. I often do this when plague hits or some other lethal disease.
Hahaha nice and evil...I like it :-D

stu89pid

The doc will treat the patient, but it is prioritized like any other work and won't necessarily happen the second the patient is eligible for additonal treatment.

I just micromanage this, it barely takes any effort. When a colonist is ready for more medicine, you get a notification saying "colonist needs treatment" so it is just a matter of selecting your doctor, and right clicking on the patient to force treat him at this point.
Some diseases are less harsh and you can get away with less than minimum frequent treatments, but things like the plague you should be treating as soon as possible if you like that colonist.

Lizardo

Lock the door? I see that you can lock them open, didn't see how to lock the shut.

I'm just surprised the doctors aren't more persistent on their own.  And then you have to set up a malaria schedule for each colonist too.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

ahowe42

Recruit the doc, force them to go inside, then have somebody else build a wall in front of the door :-D.

BlackSmokeDMax

Quote from: Lizardo on October 19, 2016, 05:25:02 AM
Lock the door? I see that you can lock them open, didn't see how to lock the shut.

I'm just surprised the doctors aren't more persistent on their own.  And then you have to set up a malaria schedule for each colonist too.

You can select the door, then forbid it. At that point none of your colonists/pets will go through (or repair) that door. Unless someone is in a mental break, forbidding does nothing at that point. Forbidding also does not affect visitors/traders/etc.

Lizardo

It would seem simpler to make a temporary 'area' and assign it to the doctor. Assign another pwn to feed them.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Marvin the Martian

When I had four diseases in  a row in my current  game (fibrous mechanites, flu, malaria, some muscle worm stuff?), i just managed it manually. Draft and undraft the doctor, if she's asleep, then rightclick and force-prioritize. It worked, the deaths, even when my doctor got the flu and had to me replaced by my bad medic. Number two had to take care of several prisoners since then for practise. ;)

Alenerel

It would be nice a mod that would force the doctors to treat patients, and wake them up if they are sleeping.