Help with fires

Started by RaginCajun, August 01, 2016, 11:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cmitc1

Quote from: Wex on October 06, 2016, 11:15:08 PM
Quote from: cmitc1 on October 06, 2016, 08:59:13 PM
Usually, I will build metal walls all around my base to help keep threats out (i guess fire could be considered one), so if you have not done that before, you can try that.
Don't. Metal burns.

It burns slower than wood, and its easy to get early game.

Serenity

So is stone.

I think two wide concrete floors can act as a barrier for fire. But I haven't really tried it.

Shurp

Stone walls don't burn.  As an added bonus they stop non sapper pirates and slow down sapper pirates.  Every colony should have them around the perimeter.  With turrets on the inside to shoot whoever breaks through.
If you give an annoying colonist a parka before banishing him to the ice sheet you'll only get a -3 penalty instead of -5.

And don't forget that the pirates chasing a refugee are often better recruits than the refugee is.

BlackSmokeDMax

Do any floors burn? Even wood? I have never seen a wood floor on fire in game. If true, it would seem that using wood floors would be the best, as presumably you have more than enough wood if you are probably cutting down trees in that fire break area anyway.

8roads

Quote from: BlackSmokeDMax on October 07, 2016, 08:42:46 PM
Do any floors burn? Even wood? I have never seen a wood floor on fire in game. If true, it would seem that using wood floors would be the best, as presumably you have more than enough wood if you are probably cutting down trees in that fire break area anyway.

No floor, not even the Uncompleted Wooden Floor, burns

PieTau

wood floors dont burn but are more expensive than concrete (wood:1.6*3=4.8 | concrete: 2*1=2)
and to get all the wood needed is more tricky than you think

blinkicide

If fighting fire outside, it's much faster to use 'cut plants' to cut grass, bushes, etc, in squares with fire to deny it a fuel source than it is to beat it out.  Exception are trees, trees take much longer to cut than to beat out a fire in that square.   The fire immediately extinguishes if it has no fuel source in the square. 

You can use this to lay down some impromptu fire lines using this as well.

Lizardo

Have lots of herbivores, they keep the lawn mowed out to quite a distance. If they start to starve, eat them.

Use a reverse animal area assignment to exclude them from your buildings and crops, let them create a permanent fire fuel exclusion zone in your home area.  Put your conduits in the walls and use only stone walls.

The other nice thing about the animals is that they form a flesh shield, soaking up a lot of attacks and sometimes fighting back. Be sure to make your enemies into kibble.
http://apatheticagnostic.com/ourchurch/intro.html
http://www.amazon.com/The-Ominous-Parallels-Freedom-America/dp/0452011175

Caedite eos. Novit enim Dominus qui sunt eius. - abbot Arnaud Amalric prior to the Massacre at Béziers

Jimyoda

Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/