Help with fires

Started by RaginCajun, August 01, 2016, 11:13:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RaginCajun

So flashstorms are my bane.  Too much fire, not enough rain.  Lot's of pawns getting burned alive.  Can't put out fires fast enough.

In doing a search I found a lot of threads wanting things like fire extinguisher research. Or research to allow "better or faster" extinguishing by the pawns. 

Without that being in the game...any of you vets have any suggestions for beating back the flames because (especially in the early going) it seems I have no shot of keeping up with fires.

TheFlameTouched

It may not help with beating back the flames, but you could put a several tile wide metal or stone floor around areas you dont want flames spreading into. Will allow you to ignore a flashstorms effects should it hit outside that area.

Boston

Putting stone tile around your wooden buildings will prevent fire from spreading to them

Jimyoda

Unless costs have changed, at a cost of 1 steel, Concrete is the cheapest flooring to create a firebreak.
Are you aware that in Alpha 13 we got Firefoam Poppers?
Quote from: Rahjital on July 09, 2015, 03:09:55 PM
"I don't like that farmers chop people up."

Obviously she has already played Rimworld :P

Read the wiki. Edit the wiki. Let the wiki be your guide.
http://rimworldwiki.com/

RaginCajun

Quote from: Jimyoda on August 01, 2016, 01:58:47 PM
Unless costs have changed, at a cost of 1 steel, Concrete is the cheapest flooring to create a firebreak.
Are you aware that in Alpha 13 we got Firefoam Poppers?
I have seen the poppers, just haven't researched them yet.  Still early in my current world and I've had four zone wide firestorms with 4-8 spots aflame at one time.  I've had to pretty much focus on one and let the further away ones burn themselves out (or so a raindance..lol).

stigma

I rarely have to much issue with fires - but there are many ways of beating really bad fire-situations, though most o them require some foresight.

-Unburnable walls (stone) certainly help
-Unburnable tiles to stop the spread of fire (short of that, just cutting the vegetation also chokes fire too, but remember that vegation will regrow)
It's not a bad idea to have a ring of fireproof tiles around the critical areas of your base just to prevent a wall of flame hitting you because something started burning far away and spread all the way to you.

The firepoppers kill fires dead - but they are more like last-ditch emergency defenses for very critical areas that you can just not afford to lose - like your main foodstores, also the tech required is somewhat mid-game. Usually not a high priority for me.

SpaceDorf

Also I feel kind of betraid by the firefoam poppers .. the really are not what I expected from a helpfull tool against fire
Maxim 1   : Pillage, then burn
Maxim 37 : There is no overkill. There is only open fire and reload.
Rule 34 of Rimworld :There is a mod for that.

FalconBR

First thing before trying to put down a fire, deconstruct a wall of the room, so the temperature dont get over 500ºC!
If the lower temperature, your fire won´t spread fast and you can fight it easier.
Last game I had a fire on a base inside a montain, you have no way to open a wall and let the heat out! I had firefoam, but they were far away from the affected room, after losing 2 pawns fighting the fire, I discovered you can redeploy the firefoam, but even next to the fire it didn´t blow up!
I discovered you can manually explode the firefoam, but not all fire will be gone! Lost more 2 pawns ending it, and about 10.000 of town wealth.
Also, one week trying to clean the foam from the room!

Nonsequitorian

What would you do?

During a recent rainy thunderstorm, a fire started under a mountain.  I can hear it, but there are no rooms, corridors, or doors anywhere near the "sound" of the fire. 

Will it burn itself out?  From my perspective, there's nothing but a mountain there.

ETA: 6 colonists, temperate zone, Randy storyteller, on "easy" or whatever the least challenging is

Serenity

Large "mountains" aren't necessarily solid. Think of it as unexplored land. When you tunnel there you will probably uncover an open area.

So either it will burn itself out or the game will generate rain to put it out.

Nonsequitorian

Quote from: Serenity on October 06, 2016, 06:47:51 PM
Large "mountains" aren't necessarily solid. Think of it as unexplored land. When you tunnel there you will probably uncover an open area.

So either it will burn itself out or the game will generate rain to put it out.

There was rain when the lightning happened, but it didn't put the fire out.  Can underground fires be rained on? 

I'm into the next game day, and I can still hear it burning.  How long do you suppose it will take to burn itself out?

Serenity

They aren't underground. There is normal open terrain you can't see that just looks like a mountain.

As for how long it takes. Depends on the size of the area. Forest fires can take a while.

Nonsequitorian

Quote from: Serenity on October 06, 2016, 07:04:09 PM
They aren't underground. There is normal open terrain you can't see that just looks like a mountain.

As for how long it takes. Depends on the size of the area. Forest fires can take a while.

Three game days later and I can still hear the fire.   It does not extinguish in rain, nor does it burn itself out. The fire is like Schrodinger's Cat; it both exists and doesn't exist at the same time.

Meanwhile, I loaded an earlier save game and will soldier on...

cmitc1

Usually, I will build metal walls all around my base to help keep threats out (i guess fire could be considered one), so if you have not done that before, you can try that.

Wex

Quote from: cmitc1 on October 06, 2016, 08:59:13 PM
Usually, I will build metal walls all around my base to help keep threats out (i guess fire could be considered one), so if you have not done that before, you can try that.
Don't. Metal burns.
"You are not entitled to your opinion. You are entitled to your informed opinion. No one is entitled to be ignorant."
    Harlan Ellison