[MOD] (Alpha 2) Moats

Started by Rokiyo, March 01, 2014, 03:28:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rokiyo

Moats

Description:
This mod adds some very simple moats to the game.
I have no idea where the water comes from, nor can I explain why all sentient life has become inexplicably hydrophobic... But hey, at least you now have additional options for routing colonists and raiders alike!

Features:
  • Slow to build
  • Costs no resources
  • Indestructible
  • Impassible
  • Provides no cover
  • Doesn't block light or support roofs
Download:

Screens:

How to install:
- Unzip the contents and place them in your RimWorld/Mods folder.
- Activate the mod in the mod menu in the game.

Known Issues:
  • Can't make wide moats or ponds: The tiling of the texture gets messed up if I enable corner-filling
  • The texture links with sandbags: I had to pick one of the existing link types, and the sandbag is pretty much the only one that won't go linking with rocks & walls.
  • The texture is a placeholder. If anyone is willing to make a better one, I'll be happy to include it in this mod.

[attachment deleted by admin: too old]

Evul

Rokiyo

Just uploaded a new version. The old one was overriding the default construction sound/animation on stuff it wasn't supposed to.

Oops.

Architect

Very nice :D I was wondering if anyone was going to take up this challenge
Check out BetterPower+ and all its derivatives by clicking the picture below.

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Psyckosama

How about changing it from a water filled moat to a punji spike lined one? That way you don't have to have the excuse of life becoming hydrophobic, just... not overly interested in their own personal in impalement.

Plus a water moat on a desert planet is kinda wiggy.

Architect

I can see this becoming a 'various ditches' mod, which would be cool XD

It adds many new methods of power generation and uses for it, as well as other things such as incidents.

Rokiyo

Quote from: Psyckosama on March 01, 2014, 10:30:05 AM
How about changing it from a water filled moat to a punji spike lined one? That way you don't have to have the excuse of life becoming hydrophobic, just... not overly interested in their own personal in impalement.

Plus a water moat on a desert planet is kinda wiggy.
Agreed on all counts, that would be better. Unfortunately, my artistic skills fail me completely: I made the moat texture by inverting the rock wall texture and pasting some water over the top of it, and even that was stretching my abilities somewhat!

I'm happy to create as many re-skinned versions of this as people like, if they can provide the artwork.

Quote from: Architect on March 01, 2014, 10:46:16 AM
I can see this becoming a 'various ditches' mod, which would be cool XD
Hah, well you take a peek inside the mod's XML, you'll see that this is exactly how this mod started out (Moat extends from a generic DitchBase).

Adding more types of ditches is really just a matter of artwork at this stage.

I'll probably rename it once I've got more than one type of ditch in. :)

Architect

That's exactly what I did with my better power mod - calling it after one feature, than changing it once I'd got a load more in :P IMO, your current moat texture looks plenty good to me :) Might I suggest making a shallow moat or something like that to significantly slow up foes without harming them, but that can still be crossed and costs no metal? Just a suggestion.

Psyckosama

post the waterless art file and I'll see what I can do.

Rokiyo

Here you go. Just disable the water layer in this Paint.NET file and you'll get my empty original ditch.

The empty ditch itself was created by taking the Rock_Atlas texture from the core game and flipping each section vertically, and removing the thick black borders.

Psyckosama

Quote from: Rokiyo on March 02, 2014, 09:51:36 AM
Here you go. Just disable the water layer in this Paint.NET file and you'll get my empty original ditch.

The empty ditch itself was created by taking the Rock_Atlas texture from the core game and flipping each section vertically, and removing the thick black borders.

How do you get the textures out of the core game anyways?

Rokiyo

I extracted them from the game's resource files using the Unity Assets Explorer, but that is no longer necessary has Tynan has posted all of the art files here: http://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=2325.0

keylocke

just imagine building a moat in front of a sandbag placed in a killzone so that enemies can no longer rush you to induce friendly fire. oh so exploitable!  ;D

Psyckosama

Done!

It has metal spikes in the bottom so you might want to consider adding a little metal cost or something but if you don't like them being metal youcould always run them through a color filter.

Rokiyo

Awesome, thanks!

I'll incorporate this later on. I agree that some metal cost is appropriate.

I might make the spike pit much quicker to build with a metal cost, and the moat much much slower to build but free (to represent the time spend hauling buckets of water).